Ki Sung-gone

Guest ManDoon

different to shelvey in that when he got the all he actually moved. shelvey had a tendancy to get the ball, stop, and look for a pass.

shelvey still has lot to offer - 45 decent minutes doesnt make Ki a shoe-in but it puts pressure on shelvey.

When Shelvey has the ball, it seems like everyone just stands around. When Ki has it, seems like some proper movement around him. Was described as neat and tidy, and he kept us ticking from the moment he came on. Even Diame looked better.

When Shelvey has the ball, it seems like everyone just stands around. When Ki has it, seems like some proper movement around him. Was described as neat and tidy, and he kept us ticking from the moment he came on. Even Diame looked better.

Ki himself offers more movement, I saw at least on occasion where he did a give and go looking for the return ball, something I don't recall seeing much from Shelvey. Jonjo prefers taking the ball from deep and hitting the long passes at his own leisure.

Ki himself offers more movement, I saw at least on occasion where he did a give and go looking for the return ball, something I don't recall seeing much from Shelvey. Jonjo prefers taking the ball from deep and hitting the long passes at his own leisure.

Agree with you

Shelvey generally isn't that interested in keeping the ball whereas Ki is all about pass and move. Disappointing Ki is so slow as it looks like they won't really be able to play together in a 2

Shelvey generally isn't that interested in keeping the ball whereas Ki is all about pass and move. Disappointing Ki is so slow as it looks like they won't really be able to play together in a 2

I'm just pleased that Ki looks like he can at least offer us some midfield cover. From his earlier games it looked doubtful.

It was obvious if you saw the whole game, but the heatmap on whoscored shows him further up the pitch than Shelvey had been. There might have been a shift elsewhere to cover it, but I didn't notice one from the tv pictures.

Guest Howaythetoon

Changed the game, got on the ball, played it around and was more mobile and positive getting forward than Shelvey was. Shelvey needs to do some of that rather than meander around looking lost in deep positions hitting hopeful long balls all the time.

Guest ManDoon

Diame's form was an anomaly, he's the wrong side of 30 and his legs are starting to go. I wasn't impressed with Ki at all prior to this game but if he is a better option he has to play.

Has Diame still tackled people a few times this season? If so, he'll stay in the team for that reason alone.

Sure there was a stat doing the rounds he’s top 5 in the league for tackling/dispossessions.

Has Diame still tackled people a few times this season? If so, he'll stay in the team for that reason alone.

Sure there was a stat doing the rounds he’s top 5 in the league for tackling/dispossessions.

You do see him nicking the ball quite a lot, it gets overlooked because his passing isn't always accurate. Colback was a better passer but he was never going to close down midfielders. And his accurate passes were all two yards and sideways.

Looks very mobile for an immobile player. He's always on for a pass and can actually move it forward better then I thought he could.

He might not be quick, but he actually passes and moves. Love me a midfielder who looks for one twos.