Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Our biggest weakness and has been since all of last season. Yes, our right wing is a massive weakness too but its nowhere near as pivotal in affecting us game after game in lots of different ways (attacks breaking down from slow play, getting the ball taken off him with ease, going down when he hasn’t actually been fouled)

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Our biggest weakness and has been since all of last season. Yes, our right wing is a massive weakness too but its nowhere near as pivotal in affecting us game after game in lots of different ways (attacks breaking down from slow play, getting the ball taken off him with ease, going down when he hasn’t actually been fouled)

RW is the biggest weakness by far as we have no-one to step in there except Gordon out of position. At least with Longstaff we have Tonali and Willock (maybe even Miley).

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

RW is the biggest weakness by far as we have no-one to step in there except Gordon out of position. At least with Longstaff we have Tonali and Willock (maybe even Miley).

Not saying the position is the weakest, saying him playing is the weakest part of our side whenever he plays 

At one point in the first half he carried the ball about 50 yards and Isak is screaming to be played in. Not once did I have any faith in him being able to slot a fairly simple ball into his path, just sat back and waited for him to eventually lose possession. Which he promptly did. 

Sick of watching him and sick of the excuses people make for him. We know he's a lovely lad and he's a grafter and he's had injuries and he's low on confidence and he's tired and he gives his all... Ultimately he's just not very good and is still starting. To be honest it's Howe that I've got the main issue with as he's the one who picks him regardless every fucking week

5 minutes ago, midds said:

At one point in the first half he carried the ball about 50 yards and Isak is screaming to be played in. Not once did I have any faith in him being able to slot a fairly simple ball into his path, just sat back and waited for him to eventually lose possession. Which he promptly did. 

Sick of watching him and sick of the excuses people make for him. We know he's a lovely lad and he's a grafter and he's had injuries and he's low on confidence and he's tired and he gives his all... Ultimately he's just not very good and is still starting. To be honest it's Howe that I've got the main issue with as he's the one who picks him regardless every fucking week

Aye. Eddie's loyalty to players who are not up to scratch is quite annoying. Murphy being another. Think he needs to be more ruthless. Although what's going on transfer wise is anyone's guess at this point, but ruthless it definitely isn't.

Edited by Skeletor

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

Aye. Eddie's loyalty to players who are not up to scratch is quite annoying. Murphy being another. Think he needs to be more ruthless. Although what's going on transfer wise is anyone's guess at this point.

It'll get him sacked if he continues to have his favourites. He needs to be more ruthless. 

This has to be his last season with significant involvement man, it will be interesting to see what they do with Tonali back, favored starting 3 with the obvious or a more rotation approach. Willock's emergence with further weaken his shout, you'd imagine 

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Good thing is we have a 70m midfielder in his positon back on wednsday.

Although last year he looked like an upgrade on that same midfielder.

£70mill?? Is there someone I've missed.

1 hour ago, midds said:

Aye. He's okay as a backup, but he shouldn't still be starting games for us in 2024. I don't think there are many other teams in the league he starts regularly for, if any tbh. Certainly not in the top 10. 

1 hour ago, vexred said:

It'll get him sacked if he continues to have his favourites. He needs to be more ruthless. 

Think if he argues against Mitchell he’ll be gone.

Staveley and Ghodoussi were the ones backing him previously. He doesn’t have anyone in the boardroom to back him up now. Performances this season, and the refusal to play options when he had them last season will be mounting against him now.

As others have said, he needs to be more ruthless, and playing players who are not good enough or ready in games to try and encourage them to invest in that area of the squad over others won’t work. 

6 minutes ago, OCK said:

Isak was explaining what a a through-ball was to him at one point.

I was watching that sequence thinking to myself, what is the point of having Isak, if this calibre of player is on the pitch with him?

If we screw up the next few days we will have to start preparing ourselves to lose him next summer.

Willock’s never been ahead of Longstaff though has he? They’ve played together a lot and haven’t really played in the same position as Willock normally plays LCM or wide left. I’d play Willock over Longstaff any day irrespective of position though but it’s clear Willock is best on the left 

Love a local lad but he must feel like a Lottery winner. I’ve seen Sunday league players have more about them. Must be a training ground messi.