Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Willock’s never been ahead of Longstaff though has he? They’ve played together a lot and haven’t really played in the same position as Willock normally plays LCM or wide left. I’d play Willock over Longstaff any day irrespective of position though but it’s clear Willock is best on the left 

I would play Tindall ahead of Longstaff 

2 hours ago, midds said:

At one point in the first half he carried the ball about 50 yards and Isak is screaming to be played in. Not once did I have any faith in him being able to slot a fairly simple ball into his path, just sat back and waited for him to eventually lose possession. Which he promptly did. 

Isak was crying to be played in - he did well last weekend, closing down, and doing the dirty.  But he offers very little going forward - just doesn't have the vision to pick a pass.  When Miley was 17 he had more vision.

Edited by duo

4 minutes ago, duo said:

Isak was crying to be played in - he did well last weekend, closing down, and doing the dirty.  But he offers very little going forward - just doesn't have the vision to pick a pass.  When Miley was 17 he had more vision.

Agree with every word but I'd swap your 'vision' for 'ability'. Or maybe it's both?

So frustrating to watch him try and create anything. He's capable of digging in and working hard like last week but nothing constructive at all unfortunately

1 minute ago, midds said:

Agree with every word but I'd swap your 'vision' for 'ability'. Or maybe it's both?

So frustrating to watch him try and create anything. He's capable of digging in and working hard like last week but nothing constructive at all unfortunately

Yeah it's both for sure. 

3 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Aye. Eddie's loyalty to players who are not up to scratch is quite annoying. Murphy being another. Think he needs to be more ruthless. Although what's going on transfer wise is anyone's guess at this point, but ruthless it definitely isn't.

One of the biggest disappointments of all. Instead, the crap players get 1000 opportunities and even a new contract. It's crazy.

On 25/08/2024 at 18:28, dave s said:

yeah but with tonali, willock, joelinton, bruno available you’d think he would be benched a fair bit now 

Hopefully Tonali will step up, but I'm not convinced that Willock offers a better package. Yes, he's better going forward, but defensively he's very weak.

I think that Longstaff has become the new Shola Ameobi. All the attention seems to go on his limitations and none on his strengths.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Cronky, you’ve outdone yourself 

Looking at the BBC viewer player ratings after Bournemouth, Longstaff got 1.66. The rest ranged from Barnes (6.67) to Joelinton (4.99). A similar thing seems to happen every week. 

Now come on, he's not that much worse than his team-mates. 

Edited by Cronky

5 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Looking at the BBC viewer player ratings after Bournemouth, Longstaff got 1.66. The rest ranged from Barnes (6.67) to Joelinton (4.99). A similar thing seems to happen every week. 

Now come on, he's not that much worse than his team-mates. 

I’m not saying he’s a 1.66. I’m saying that your point about Willock not being a better package is a flawed claim. Willock is a far better footballer than Sean and is better physically. He’s also far better at the defensive side of his game than he’s given credit for. Sean does get a lot of stick and sometimes it’s unwarranted but he’s the poorest starter we have. I say that as someone who really appreciates the work he does off the ball but that only really helps us when our press is there. We’re no longer pressing like we did and he’s close to pointless when we don’t play that way 

Some days his limitations outweigh his strengths. That obviously happens to some degree with everyone, but like Shola you’re either really poor or simply play your part. We’ve got players who not only play their part more consistently, but their ability is on a different level. 

Last season and the season before I was convinced he'd be a great player if he ever worked on his finishing. He had that surprising knack of being able to waltz unmarked into the penalty area or find himself in a great position for a shot. I suspect opposition scouting reports simply read "Not a threat, don't bother" 

Delighted for him.

Not a huge fan of his game by any means but he can't help his limitations and clearly gives his all, fantastic for him to have a moment like that :aww:

Perfect role for him today.

Coming on later as a sub for tired players, after the opposition have also tired too.

Big time penalty.

Edited by KaKa