Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Needs a spell out of the team, imo. Working hard on the training ground and getting back to the Longstaff that was so impressive when he first broke into the team.

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

He’s not th e best or my cup of tea but pretty sure he’d be better if the fans supported and encouraged him.

I've noticed since early last season that every single game he scores around 2 on the BBC player ratings 

always waaaaay lower than every other player on the pitch, even when he scores/plays well! 

it's quite mad, honestly think there's a large portion of our fanbase that's  slightly unhinged and if we ever do win something their sense of entitlement will become unbearable 

Edited by Ginola14

Shades of Sir Bobby with Jenas, Ameobi and a few others. He just couldn’t bring himself to drop those players and the fans’ frustration seeing the same thing over & over built up and exploded. Howe has got to read the room. Like those players, I don’t think Longstaff would be anywhere near as much a bugbear for fans if he was rotated. 

I hate any anger & frustration toward local players and they should be playing in an environment of support & encouragement. Even if Longstaff started the best games, the most logical thing would be to big him up and support him to increase his confidence. But as some also vent at players, there’s naturally going to be that explosion of frustration which will do no-one any good. 

7 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Shades of Sir Bobby with Jenas, Ameobi and a few others. He just couldn’t bring himself to drop those players and the fans’ frustration seeing the same thing over & over built up and exploded. Howe has got to read the room. Like those players, I don’t think Longstaff would be anywhere near as much a bugbear for fans if he was rotated. 

I hate any anger & frustration toward local players and they should be playing in an environment of support & encouragement. Even if Longstaff started the best games, the most logical thing would be to big him up and support him to increase his confidence. But as some also vent at players, there’s naturally going to be that explosion of frustration which will do no-one any good. 

Worked out well for you then and everyone else thinking the same when thy sacked SBR [emoji38]

Tonali has been available for a three games and has featured in them all. Longstaff played so much last season because of his suspension and other midfield injuries. Tonali’s time will come. As will Willock also returning from three injuries.

Edited by LFEE

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Worked out well for you then and everyone else thinking the same when thy sacked SBR [emoji38]

Tonali has been available for a three games and has featured in them all. Longstaff played so much last season because of his suspension and other midfield injuries. Tonali’s time will come. As will Willock also returning from three injuries.

Wasn’t talking about myself; personally I was mortified at the time at how a lot of fans behaved at the end of SBR’s reign, was ridiculous.

I’m saying when it comes to individual players who have not been doing it for some time, you’ve got to manage the environment sometimes too and protect the player aswell as the team. 

4 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Wasn’t talking about myself; personally I was mortified at the time at how a lot of fans behaved at the end of SBR’s reign, was ridiculous.

I’m saying when it comes to individual players who have not been doing it for some time, you’ve got to manage the environment sometimes too and protect the player aswell as the team. 

I think that is one of EH’s strengths. Hence why new players aren’t simply chucked in to sink or swim. I repeat the problem EH has had with the Longstaff issue is he had little to no other options for 11 months. I’m guessing EH trying to inform and remind fans that Longstaff was playing injured for the team was his best option of defending him.

Don’t forget Longstaff displaced Tonali from the team and we started to get results again. Short memories from so many.

Tonali’s time will come in the upcoming games no doubt. EH just wants the best version of him before he plays 90mins.

Admittedly I've been a complete armchair fan this season due to ballot failures and away tickets being out of reach these days meaning I've only watched the matches on TV so maybe he's doing loads of good stuff off the ball and working hard off camera that I'm not seeing but he just seems to be a passenger in that team right now.

Here's where I am with this now.

We are failing Sean Longstaff.

Just as we are failing Murphy/Almiron.

Just as we are failing Tino Livramento.

I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to be too down on anyone on that right side, because the combination is all wrong.

As soon as I saw these three in the team together I knew it was going to be a mess, as they just do not mesh well and it leads to a multitude of problems.

Longstaff just wants to play it simple to the man nearest him and make runs forward in and around the box to get shots away. He needs a full back that is really good with the ball and can take more on as a passer, as well as a decent right winger that can carry the ball forward and create more space for him.

In the fourth place season this guy was starting games, and he was far more useful and not as much of a hindrance to the team.

During that period Miggy was playing out of his skin on the right wing and Trippier was incredible facilitating a lot of play from right back. These things allowed Longstaff to be a very functional and useful contributor.

With the current options we should not be playing him if Trippier is not playing as well. 

Equally Tonali's quick passing, ball carrying and vision, will benefit Tino massively, as he wants to play the ball inside and then bomb forward on the overlap.

Longstaff and Trippier / Tonali and Tino, would save us so much grief!

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think you could say the same about putting Hall outside of Burn. 

I think when Hall plays, he should be given freedom to get forward to support Gordon more, and Joelinton should be tasked with being a bit more conservative position wise to cover for him.

Hall was sitting deeper most of the time yesterday, which is pretty pointless.

He is excellent going forward, that is his strength.

Let Joe cover and keep things simpler, and have Gordon and Hall combine further forward.

Longstaff is one of those players who falls under "great servant to the club, please don't make it so I start to get sick of the sight of him" so if he could be slowly phased out of the team that would be just lovely.

Ideally that's the perfect scenario. However, he'll be here forever.

Out of contract end of season - that'll be getting renewed. I find it funny that people said he was playing with an injury last season that's why he's been poor. He's been poor most of the time he's been here :lol:

Edited by Menace

57 minutes ago, Menace said:

Ideally that's the perfect scenario. However, he'll be here forever.

Out of contract end of season - that'll be getting renewed. I find it funny that people said he was playing with an injury last season that's why he's been poor. He's been poor most of the time he's been here :lol:

He'll end up being another one of those who it's impossible to get money for as he doesn't want to leave. He'll play his contract out and leave for nothing. Or we give him a new contract. It's a lose-lose situation basically.

Once again, people fail to see a system issue and want to kick the player instead. I agree with @KaKa's post above.

What are Longstaff's strengths? Simple, uncomplicated passing that helps us to shift the focus of play, and those late runs either underlapping or onto the penalty spot to contribute with goals. Off the ball he give defensive workrate and recovery running, pressing, determination and some positional reliability.

Are we currently playing to any of his strengths? No. We're attempting some form of possession ball (badly), we have a right back that doesn't offer width in the same way and doesn't progress the ball with passes. We have a right winger who is a natural right footer, which changes the patterns in the final 3rd, and we have had a centreback pairing that treat the ball like a bomb (until Fab returned).

We're also not pressing in the same way or with the same intensity, which negates some of his strengths on the other side.

I'm not saying he should start, but I don't like the way system issues get lumped on one guy.

3 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Once again, people fail to see a system issue and want to kick the player instead. I agree with @KaKa's post above.

What are Longstaff's strengths? Simple, uncomplicated passing that helps us to shift the focus of play, and those late runs either underlapping or onto the penalty spot to contribute with goals. Off the ball he give defensive workrate and recovery running, pressing, determination and some positional reliability.

Are we currently playing to any of his strengths? No. We're attempting some form of possession ball (badly), we have a right back that doesn't offer width in the same way and doesn't progress the ball with passes. We have a right winger who is a natural right footer, which changes the patterns in the final 3rd, and we have had a centreback pairing that treat the ball like a bomb (until Fab returned).

We're also not pressing in the same way or with the same intensity, which negates some of his strengths on the other side.

I'm not saying he should start, but I don't like the way system issues get lumped on one guy.

But if Howe is playing a particular system, would it make more sense to play players who can play it?

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

But if Howe is playing a particular system, would it make more sense to play players who can play it?

Yeah it would, for sure, I just don’t think poor Sean deserves all the shite he gets for essentially being a square peg in a round hole here. He’s never going to say, no Eddie you should play Sandro instead

Hoping he starts against Wimbledon, with Tonali starting the two PL games either side of that. He probably needs a goal too. I'd like to see Osula in that game too fwiw.

Subbing him at HT is such a rare move for Howe, so I'd guess (no rash bets here) that this will be the case.

I don't think he's a bad player - to my mind he was very good in the season before last. He seemed then to have an engine to gradually play his way into games and was maybe suited to the pressing system we used to use a lot more back then. 

19 hours ago, timnufc22 said:

Not really, there’s basically been no other viable option for the majority of the last few months. 

Guy has won us a handful of games on his own with goals. He's obviously low on confidence as I'm sure I read in an article that he's aware he's the boo-boys new whipping boy. Especially with miggy not playing. 

Eddie doesn't listen to outside noise, nor should he. But it would be helpful for him to know when he needs to shield a player from constant criticism. 

It's not his fault he keeps getting picked, poor lad. 

Thankfully for his sake, we're inching towards Tonali starting. Then I guess we'll have to move on to ripping Murphy online.