Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

10 minutes ago, TRC said:

I think Longstaff can play along side Tonali and Bruno tbh, problem is Joelinton has days were everything bounces off him, same with Longstaff. Playing them together is a nightmare when Joelinton is not on it.

This. Joelinton and Bruno were no better than Longstaff that 1st half. All things being even (Tonali ban never happened) I’d probably of expected Tonali to start instead of Bruno returning from Brazil late in the week.

I repeat I’m not a big Longstaff fan. However i know he’ll do a job when needed and given some actual support and encouragement.

My memory a little hazy from Rafa/Bruce but when he was getting all the plaudits (Next Carrick?) i seem to recall him playing deeper, having to run less and actually passing it longer around the pitch.

Maybe doesn’t fit the role being asked of him now as well as when his career with us began. Feel the job he does now was probably better suited to his brother.

Edited by LFEE

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

This. Joelinton and Bruno were no better than Longstaff that 1st half. All things being even (Tonali ban never happened) I’d probably of expected Tonali to start instead of Bruno returning from Brazil late in the week.

I repeat I’m not a big Longstaff fan. However i know he’ll do a job when needed and given some actual support and encouragement.

My memory a little hazy from Rafa/Bruce but when he was getting all the plaudits (Next Carrick?) i seem to recall him playing deeper, having to run less and actually passing it longer around the pitch.

Maybe doesn’t fit the role being asked of him now as well as when his career with us began. Feel the job he does now was probably better suited to his brother.

I think the lack of technicians in our team is a real killer. I think Trippier starting would really help out too.

Howe going for Longstaff over Tonali was a poor decision on his part tbh. 

Not just because Tonali is the better player but it was obvious that unless Longstaff had a blinder. He was on a hiding to nothing with the fanbase.  

10 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

Howe going for Longstaff over Tonali was a poor decision on his part tbh. 

Not just because Tonali is the better player but it was obvious that unless Longstaff had a blinder. He was on a hiding to nothing with the fanbase.  

How do you know it was EH? Would’ve thought it was Bunce. When he was available EH started Tonali. Since then he’s been managing his minutes. It’s not as if he was particularly great. Seem to recall him getting caught on the ball on the byline and thinking he could leave the ball to go out leading to a dangerous attack. More dangerous position than the one that lead to the goal should’ve turned out.

It was Willock who put our midfield to shame. Yet no one expected him to be on the bench never mind start.

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

How do you know it was EH? Would’ve thought it was Bunce. When he was available EH started Tonali. Since then he’s been managing his minutes. It’s not as if he was particularly great. Seem to recall him getting caught on the ball on the byline and thinking he could leave the ball to go out leading to a dangerous attack. More dangerous position than the one that lead to the goal should’ve turned out.

It was Willock who put our midfield to shame. Yet no one expected him to be on the bench never mind start.

Bunce did a great job getting Willock back and allowing Eddie to pick him. 

56 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Deserves a new contract imo 

If we don't have an option to extend by a year built in I can see him being offered an extension even if we want rid we can't surely let pure ffp home grown money walk for free. 

Don’t really want him to leave, I think he’s got it in him to be a squad player, especially if we get back to playing with an intense press. However, it’s not fair on him to be starting game after game when we’re trying to be better with the ball as that’s never going to be his game. The only issue with him not being a starter is that he’s also a confidence player and you could imagine he’d really struggle with not getting game time 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Hazy memory too but remember same and thought he looked more comfortable in possession back then. Now he's basically just a runner both ways and even his shooting was IMO much better then.

22 minutes ago, Pata said:

Hazy memory too but remember same and thought he looked more comfortable in possession back then. Now he's basically just a runner both ways and even his shooting was IMO much better then.

We’ve no legs in midfield without Willock. Bruno I’ve said from day one is fairly slow and the reason top teams won’t pounce. Joelinton quick when he gets into a canter but not in short yardage. Longstaff as one paced as they come.

Was noticeable the difference on Sunday between our recovery pace (and partly desire) when losing the ball which cost us the goal and Arsenal’s when they lost the ball in similar areas.

3 hours ago, Pata said:

The games I saw live last season, it was pretty clear who the scapegoats were and it's 100% guaranteed the players can feel it on the pitch. The tiniest mistake or pass backwards and massive parts of SJP sigh loudly and some stand up shouting abuse. :lol: There was one instance last season where Longstaff clearly reacted to it raising his arms after his pass was deemed too unambitious by SJP. Burn was getting this too but on a lesser scale.

I really feel bad for Longstaff, this should be his dream but the over the top reactions will be on his mind constantly and just build up pressure when he's not the most confident lad in the squad.

And all this current drama feels so unnecessary. Everyone knows Sandro is the starter moving forward, have some patience.

Even in that post you quoted I am making it quite clear that the criticism I am talking about is on a message board, not at the ground - which I don't agree with. Even then it should be reasoned and not just abuse which is just being a twat.

I can’t believe there’s legit debate about him, mind. He’s a grafter, with an occasional goal in him because of the positions he takes up although that’s a double edged sword to some extent because he’s hardly a top pick for being on the end of chances. He needs a touch more than we can afford with our aspirations, his passing is mediocre at best and he doesn’t have athleticism to get in the game like Joelinton does. He’s nothing more than a backup player for where we need to be now. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I can’t believe there’s legit debate about him, mind. He’s a grafter, with an occasional goal in him because of the positions he takes up although that’s a double edged sword to some extent because he’s hardly a top pick for being on the end of chances. He needs a touch more than we can afford with our aspirations, his passing is mediocre at best and he doesn’t have athleticism to get in the game like Joelinton does. He’s nothing more than a backup player for where we need to be now. 

The debate is whether he's a 2 out of 10 every week or average tbf. He's absolutely not a 2 out of 10. I don't think anyone is saying he's prime Zidane.

4 hours ago, Pata said:

The games I saw live last season, it was pretty clear who the scapegoats were and it's 100% guaranteed the players can feel it on the pitch. The tiniest mistake or pass backwards and massive parts of SJP sigh loudly and some stand up shouting abuse. :lol: There was one instance last season where Longstaff clearly reacted to it raising his arms after his pass was deemed too unambitious by SJP. Burn was getting this too but on a lesser scale.

I really feel bad for Longstaff, this should be his dream but the over the top reactions will be on his mind constantly and just build up pressure when he's not the most confident lad in the squad.

And all this current drama feels so unnecessary. Everyone knows Sandro is the starter moving forward, have some patience.

longstaff's mentioned in an interview about him, miggy, and i think burn bring scapegoated.

10 minutes ago, Heron said:

The debate is whether he's a 2 out of 10 every week or average tbf. He's absolutely not a 2 out of 10. I don't think anyone is saying he's prime Zidane.

This. 

46 minutes ago, Heron said:

And I know you’ll play that card all day but ‘average’ effectively is a 2 out of 10 for where we need to be in order to finish high enough to keep our 8 and 9s. 

28 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

And I know you’ll play that card all day but ‘average’ effectively is a 2 out of 10 for where we need to be in order to finish high enough to keep our 8 and 9s. 

What?

Playing 2 out of 10 is literally doing everything like 80% wrong in that game. He absolutely doesn't. Average is not 2 out of 10.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think you mean average needs to be higher, no? Like 7. Are you drinking Absinthe on a weeknight? :lol: 

No. We’re past the point where we can afford to carry a Sean Longstaff. He’s so far off the wavelength of the better players around him at times it’s embarrassing. 8s and 9s I meant the players who’ll likely be off in the summer if we don’t finish top 4/5.

I do get that there’s duality here whereby it’s acceptable to defend Longstaff as a decent / average trier while being supremely grateful we have very few of those in the team. Personally just think it’s bullshit. We need to be better than players like that.

The rules force us to have homegrown players, he’s a fine backup. He should get a new deal. It’s insane to lose a homegrown player who’s 26 on a free. It’s bad business. Sell him for £15m in 2 years if Miley has taken his place, but letting him go for free is stupid. 

55 minutes ago, Taylor Swift said:

The rules force us to have homegrown players, he’s a fine backup. He should get a new deal. It’s insane to lose a homegrown player who’s 26 on a free. It’s bad business. Sell him for £15m in 2 years if Miley has taken his place, but letting him go for free is stupid. 

Trump might hate you but I think this is common sense