Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

if willock tonali and joelinton had been avialiable he wouldnt have been playing every game.

we didnt have an option.

in a couple of weeks willock and anderson should be getting almost fully match fit.

33 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t blame him and I’d never slag him off in comments or anything. He wouldn’t be a PL player except for Mike Ashley. He tries but he’s not up to it. 

Think that's unfair. He's shown he can play in this league. He has some limitations but his engine is excellent when he's fit and that is worth something. Is certainly is in EH's system anyway.

19 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Think that's unfair. He's shown he can play in this league. He has some limitations but his engine is excellent when he's fit and that is worth something. Is certainly is in EH's system anyway.

He's a support player at best. When the big lights are out through injury and you need the lesser lights to shine, he goes missing. I can't recall who said it, might have been Ayedoubleyou, but you could replace him with any of the Blackburn players last night and I doubt we'd have looked worse.

I get that he might look more useful once all our better midfielders are back, but then who wouldn't?

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He’s below OK, I can’t see many if any other PL teams starting him. 

We could’ve swapped him for a Blackburn CM and had a much better lineup last night. 

Nope. If that's the case you can say it for the whole team last night, bar Bruno, as their players matched us to a man. We're not playing well and that goes for everybody at the moment. 

The lad played more than anybody last year in a team that got CL football and to a major cup final. He's not good enough for where we want to be, but he's not Danny Guthrie either.

1 hour ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

He doesn't score anywhere near enough goals for someone who gets into the positions he does. 

Yet he's also our 4th highest goalscorer in the squad this season with 6 goals, only being outscored by the three regular centre forwards.

Well exactly. This is the thing - there are plenty of other culprits in the squad in terms of output. Many don't even get themselves into goalscoring positions in the first place to actually miss, despite playing in more advanced positions. 

Longstaff doesn't get himself injured or banned for a year for being a daft cunt, so ends up playing every game until he's been ran into the ground and gets exposed. Takes flak despite costing us nowt. Yet our £55 million signing that was supposed to replace him has two different chants that get aired at every away game, despite contributing the square root of fuck all to the club (and a reasonable chance he never will). 

All irks me a bit tbh, even though I'd still be shopping Longstaff around in the summer.

Edited by ponsaelius

That's fair. Its strange because I felt he was becoming one of our most important players last year in a very low key way. Now I just struggle to see beyond his limitations. 

This has been a fairly jarring season, basically from December onwards it has been incredibly heavy weather. That almost certainly plays a part in assessments of players. 

I thought he was unlucky to be dropped for Tonali start of season, we looked better when he came in (mostly because we went back to last seasons personnel) and he would be an outside chance of England squad as that donkey CM that Gallagher currently occupies. 

But just hasn’t kicked on. Still feel he’s a useful squad player, but considering we need to generate some funds in summer, he’s got to be up there to be sold. Potentially him or Anderson for the CM to be moved on, and I suspect it will come down to who generates the interest and the fee we’d want.

14 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Well exactly. This is the thing - there are plenty of other culprits in the squad in terms of output. Many don't even get themselves into goalscoring positions in the first place to actually miss, despite playing in more advanced positions. 

Longstaff doesn't get himself injured or banned for a year for being a daft cunt, so ends up playing every game until he's been ran into the ground and gets exposed. Takes flak despite costing us nowt. Yet our £55 million signing that was supposed to replace him has two different chants that get aired at every away game, despite contributing the square root of fuck all to the club (and a reasonable chance he never will). 

All irks me a bit tbh, even though I'd still be shopping Longstaff around in the summer.

What you're actually saying there is he scores some goals, stays fit and runs tirelessly. All true, but there are championship midfielders who can do that. It's what he can't do which is the missing piece in the puzzle:

• Show for the ball when the midfield is faced with a tight press
  • Carry the ball out of danger when being pressed
  • Look for one twos to evade the press
  • Confidence to perform when the big games come round

At the highest level when you are trying to build a team that can play out from the back you need all those attributes.

Convinced he is playing through an injury. Which if true, is quite commendable. He’s never been the most agile. But that one early on where he took 3 touches, all nowhere near him and still managed to run it out. Wow. 

He isn’t as mobile as last season and seems scared to snap into tackles. I’m sure he used to be more physical? The fact he is flopping/diving even

ore than usual would also tie in with that. 

Not sure what's up with him, he's been below average for a while. I really do hope he finds what he's lost and gets back on it. When he's playing well so do we. Could be we cannot afford a passenger in such a key area, or could be the sign he is a good player  on his day. 

I like Longstaff, but I fucking hate how he wave's his arm's around every time he makes a mistake, like it's someone else's fault. Proper pisses me off!

Guest reefatoon

How does he get 90 minutes every week? :lol: He’s fucking awful.

20 minutes ago, Nine said:

He’s 100% carrying an injury 

Must be the tendon between his foot and the ankle, that would eplain the horrendous first touch.

Injury or no injury. He’s a headless chicken and all he offers is running. I roll my eyes whenever he’s on the ball. I have no idea how there isn’t a single player Eddie rates above him who can plug in at CM. He and Burn have been boiling my blood for weeks now.