Newcastle United 1 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 10/08/18 - post-match from p. 17

Disco

Yedlin’s season is done. I really think it looks like an ACL injury.

Eurgh Manquillo all season

Any right backs available on a free?

Danny Simpson likely to be left out of Leicester's 25 man squad.

You know the rules of football registration and whether you can sign for other clubs right ?

Victor Fernandez has a great chance to kick on now. Looked great in pre season in fairness.

You know the rules of football registration and whether you can sign for other clubs right ?

Nah mate, I've got hobbies.

Well make one of those hobbies footy and you'll be alright.

Guest covmag

nothing unexpected, we are a bargain basement club and look like we are batting above our weight again, lots of endeavour but little quality.

people say spending money doesn't make a difference at times( aka Burnley), our only quality creative  football player is around £30 million in todays market...Kenedy who was our best player by a distance today, we look to have enough to survive, it looks like another season of huff n puff.

all as expected, i didn't go today as ive been convinced i'm pissing in the wind with this cunt, my decision, i missed it but there we are.  :undecided:

Thanks for the advice.

Victor Fernandez has a great chance to kick on now. Looked great in pre season in fairness.

Sterry would be before him, as a proper RB i reckon.

Thanks for the advice.

You are welcome.

Dubravka (7) Probably did what he could for the goals, kicking was suspect at times.

Yedlin (5) Don't rate him defensively, caught out far too many times, he would be one of the worst fullbacks in the league if not for his recovery pace, still hope hes ok though, the alternative is worse.

Lascelles (7) Not one of his greatest games but pretty much solid throughout

Clark (7) Same as Lascelles

Dummett (6) Made some good interceptions and blocks but was caught out more than once, awful for the first goal.

Ritchie MOTM (9) He was absolutely everywhere, beautiful assist and some great weighted passes over the top, never stopped as usual, the decision to replace him was a poor one from Benitez.

Diame (6) Would have been higher but he had a first half to forget, seemed to find his feet second half though and looked like he did late on last season.

Shelvey (6) Had a few moment of genius but ultimately pretty ineffective, didn't really stamp his authority on the game.

Kenedy (7) A few dangerous looking runs and was unlucky to be fouled on some of the better ones, but thought he was wasteful with his passing and crossing, and that first touch for the chance he had was :anguish:

Perez (6) Some good moments, really looked dangerous early on but faded, held onto the ball far too long when he had good options either side.

Joselu (7) Hold up play was mainly good and took his goal well, even though it was a free header.

Subs:

Thought Muto looked bright, seems to have a good turn of pace and looks composed on the ball, but not much to go off.

Rondon I think is going to be exactly what we need up front, strong, quick and direct, would start him next game.

Atsu was like a headless chicken, really disappointed in the decision to take Ritchie off, easy to say in hindsight but I feel we stood a better chance with him on the pitch.

Dubravka (7) Probably did what he could for the goals, kicking was suspect at times.

Yedlin (5) Don't rate him defensively, caught out far too many times, he would be one of the worst fullbacks in the league if not for his recovery pace, still hope hes ok though, the alternative is worse.

Dummett (6) Made some good interceptions and blocks but was caught out more than once, awful for the first goal.

Ritchie MOTM (9) He was absolutely everywhere, beautiful assist and some great weighted passes over the top, never stopped as usual, the decision to replace him was a poor one from Benitez.

Diame (6) Would have been higher but he had a first half to forget, seemed to find his feet second half though and looked like he did late on last season.

Shelvey (6) Had a few moment of genius but ultimately pretty ineffective, didn't really stamp his authority on the game.

Kenedy (7) A few dangerous looking runs and was unlucky to be fouled on some of the better ones, but thought he was wasteful with his passing and crossing, and that first touch for the chance he had was :anguish:

Perez (6) Some good moments, really looked dangerous early on but faded, held onto the ball far too long when he had good options either side.

Joselu (7) Hold up play was mainly good and took his goal well, even though it was a free header.

Subs:

Thought Muto looked bright, seems to have a good turn of pace and looks composed on the ball, but not much to go off.

Rondon I think is going to be exactly what we need up front, strong, quick and direct, would start him next game.

Atsu was like a headless chicken, really disappointed in the decision to take Ritchie off, easy to say in hindsight but I feel we stood a better chance with him on the pitch.

Pretty much agree with this, maybe rate Shelvey little higher, he made a lot of good balls that were maybe unlucky not to result in something. Diame was excellent second half would maybe raise him to a 7 but yes poor first half. Atsu was as bad as I've ever seen him. The sub i assumed was because Ritchie was running out of steam and making silly fouls but it definitely was a mistake in retrospect. Joselu was good tbh, took his goal, yes should score it but can't hold that against him, did his job, and that pass releasing kennedy should have resulted in a goal.

Ah, so we've started off with one of those frustrating games where we expected to lose and did just that but could've had at least a point and end up pissed off with the outcome... how I've missed this. :lol:

Plenty positives to take, mind.

On another day we get a point, but that's the realm we're operating in.

As an aside, I just want to publicly thank Atsu for making my un-acted upon chances in life not seem all that bad. I can't remember the last time a substitute was that far below the quality of the player he was replacing. I don't even dislike him or anything, but that was a really bad performance.

that's what i was saying, people were saying taking ritchie off was what cost us - it wasn't it was the massive difference in quality between the two, had atsu played remotely competently we might have got something out of it

unforgettably bad

Hope the Yedlin news is better than expected. He was probably our weakest player and has needed replacing or given real competition for his place. At a normal club that would have happened. As it is we are already in trouble there as he is the best of and absolutely pitiful bunch. Likewise dummett who was slightly better than yedlin. It's only a matter of time until we are playing CBs and wingers at the back.  3-5-2 cometh

Subs:

Concur with most of this. Shelvey had a few decent passes but whatever way the game was played, he didn’t see much of the ball. The midfield gave the ball away a lot too.

I’d give Perez a 5, very ineffective. Wonder how long it will take Rafa to replace him with Muto..

We can’t keep losing games like this. It was the story of last season too “we should have gotten something from that”

Man City, Man Utd away, Watford and possibly Liverpool & Chelsea away were the only games where we didn’t have a sniff, every other game it was a tale of hard luck pretty much.

It was the same today. Spurs were there for the taking, team just didn’t have the belief to step on them.

I want Muto and Perez on the pitch at the same time, if Muto is as willing a runner and helps close down Perez will look better with someone else doing it, more bother for opponents and would have someone to give the ball to rather than running around like a headless chicken a mile in front of the rest of the team

Imagine coming away from that and thinking Shelvey was a disgrace  :lol:

I normally hate to do this but there must be some stats somewhere which highlight the sheer amount of times he gave the ball away in midfield. And this is not because he was playing more hollywood forward passes per se, a lot of the short sideways ones he gifted straight to Spurs. I thought he was ineffective in terms of presence too.

I normally hate to do this but there must be some stats somewhere which highlight the sheer amount of times he gave the ball away in midfield. And this is not because he was playing more hollywood forward passes per se, a lot of the short sideways ones he gifted straight to Spurs. I thought he was ineffective in terms of presence too.

I thought he struggled too. A few comments I put on here were swiftly followed by “shelvey’s been excellent” just after he gave the ball away. He’s probably my favourite player in this team but he was average today. First half Diame was worse but thought he completely turned it around second half.

I want Muto and Perez on the pitch at the same time, if Muto is as willing a runner and helps close down Perez will look better with someone else doing it, more bother for opponents and would have someone to give the ball to rather than running around like a headless chicken a mile in front of the rest of the team

I would like to see this too, can't see Rafa doing it but having two forwards hounding defenders in possession would be class IMO.

I thought he struggled too. A few comments I put on here were swiftly followed by “shelvey’s been excellent” just after he gave the ball away. He’s probably my favourite player in this team but he was average today. First half Diame was worse but thought he completely turned it around second half.

The difference with Diame is even when he's not playing well, he'll close players down and break the opposition play up. Shelvey just makes a token effort to work back so his forward play needs to be on point to make up for it.