Newcastle United 1-2 Arsenal - 15/09/18 - Post-match reaction from page 12ish

Greg

So we should have started with an unfit Shelvey and Rondon, that’s your great plan?

If they are unfit they shouldn't even be on the bench and Rondon certainly didn't seem unfit during the week.

Eh players come back from injury and onto the bench all the time. Like literally all the time. I don’t know what condition Rondon and Shelvey are in, I’m just assuming there’s legitimate reasons they were on the bench and then never came on.

There’s multiple reasons why that could have happened.

So why are they on the bench if you're not fit you're not fit and why not bring them on then. If they're fit enough to be on the bench then their fit enough to play the majority of the game. I can understand not the full 90 but to not even bring them on is just totally inexcusable.

They were probably on the bench in case we were down one goal with 10 or 15 minutes to go. When Arsenal went two up Rafa probably felt that the risk of bringing them on wasn't worth it when we probably wouldn't get back into the game anyway

Still doesn't work for me as I said you have nearly a full house paying good money to see a manager accepting a defeat. What happens if he brought them on say with 15 mintues to go (I will still argue with anybody they should have started) and they get a goal and the match then changes. It might not but surely people paying good money deserve to see a team attempting to get something out of any game.

Have you honestly never seen players lacking fitness being put on the bench before? They might have been there purely as an emergency incase of injury to Joselu or one of our midfielders. Like I have no idea but them being on the bench = they can play the majority of the game has never been the case.

So we should have started with an unfit Shelvey and Rondon, that’s your great plan?

If they are unfit they shouldn't even be on the bench and Rondon certainly didn't seem unfit during the week.

Eh players come back from injury and onto the bench all the time. Like literally all the time. I don’t know what condition Rondon and Shelvey are in, I’m just assuming there’s legitimate reasons they were on the bench and then never came on.

So why are they on the bench if you're not fit you're not fit and why not bring them on then. If they're fit enough to be on the bench then their fit enough to play the majority of the game. I can understand not the full 90 but to not even bring them on is just totally inexcusable.

They were probably on the bench in case we were down one goal with 10 or 15 minutes to go. When Arsenal went two up Rafa probably felt that the risk of bringing them on wasn't worth it when we probably wouldn't get back into the game anyway

Still doesn't work for me as I said you have nearly a full house paying good money to see a manager accepting a defeat. What happens if he brought them on say with 15 mintues to go (I will still argue with anybody they should have started) and they get a goal and the match then changes. It might not but surely people paying good money deserve to see a team attempting to get something out of any game.

Rafa isn't about entertaining the fans, he's about getting results and he probably thought that keeping those two players fresh and injury free was more beneficial than putting them on for 15 minutes when it probably wouldn't change anything and they might get injured again

Still doesn't work for me as I said you have nearly a full house paying good money to see a manager accepting a defeat.

you're just shouting into the void man, rafa's in his 3rd year here and he's seen and done more then every single other person in the fucking stadium :lol: so why are you still peddling this?  haven't you been paying attention?

given the constraints he's working under entertainment will be very far down his list of priorities

Rafa isn't about entertaining the fans, he's about getting results and he probably thought that keeping those two players fresh and injury free was more beneficial than putting them on for 15 minutes when it probably wouldn't change anything and they might get injured again

Don't agree sorry that team selection and lack of substitutes stinks you say it's about getting results well it certainly isn't working this season that's for sure.

It is possible they were completely fit and Rafa just never picked them like.

Well that would be pretty mental then IMO :lol:

Oh aye deffinitely, I just mean that as a critisism that’s fair enough if it turns out they were fit. Rafa is known for picking teams based on their assesment in training so I don’t think it’s too outlandish tbh :lol: More so with Rondon than Shelvey like. I just don’t get the notion that if you’re fit enough for the bench then you're fit enough to start. I’ve never seen that argued in my entire life watching football.

Don't agree sorry that team selection and lack of substitutes stinks you say it's about getting results well it certainly isn't working this season that's for sure.

Well like its impossible for anyone here to know what condition Rondon and Shelvey were in

Fernandez looked canny. The rest all varied from barely average to utter shit. Rafa included.

Thought Yedlin was decent too, Ritchie was decent first half but not much he could do second half with how much Arsenal dominated

It is possible they were completely fit and Rafa just never picked them like.

Well that would be pretty mental then IMO :lol:

Oh aye deffinitely, I just mean that as a critisism that’s fair enough if it turns out they were fit. Rafa is known for picking teams based on their assesment in training so I don’t think it’s too outlandish tbh :lol: More so with Rondon than Shelvey like. I just don’t get the notion that if you’re fit enough for the bench then you're fit enough to start. I’ve never seen that argued in my entire life watching football.

When it was mentioned that Rondon was returning from a late trip to South America, it was always on the cards he wouldn't be starting, fit or not. Rafa is very firm on things like that, you could imagine someone like Pardew would have pitched him straight in off the plane if he had to.

Guest firetotheworks

Against who? Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, and Cardiff?

I had us down to do better today, but howeh, we're a penalty miss away from where everyone expected really.