Protests and that

ToonArmy1892

Any one see Bolton's protest last week? Fans in the corner threw tennis balls onto the pitch to stop the match.

Would be great here, but our fans wouldn't have the guts or will power to do anything like that.

If a group of a couple hundred do, the rest would follow if they had them as well tbf. Same with a pitch invasion or owt like that I reckon

Saw something on FB last night in that could the problem be that we have too many middle-class supporters/spectators now? They really aren't bothered. Many die-hards, particularly those that used to be more 'up for stuff' have either stopped going to games, or are priced out.

Saw something on FB last night in that could the problem be that we have too many middle-class supporters/spectators now? They really aren't bothered. Many die-hards, particularly those that used to be more 'up for stuff' have either stopped going to games, or are priced out.

It's common knowledge that this is the problem like.

fucking ridiculous man. me and my "posh -geordie" speaking kids as middle class as you can get, but we've been involved in plenty of protests going back to the "sack pardew" days. there's plenty chavs giving it the "support the team, man", "nee point protesting", "rafa' gotta a take a load of the blame".

a lot of the magpie group back in the day protesting againts McKeag were middle class professionals.

Holding a sheet of paper with DW Sports on it ffs

https://twitter.com/UtdAgainstAsh/status/1089599441005350913

Fair play to them for actually doing something though, none of the other groups are. Just seems so fucking small time :lol: Hardly even a 'protest'

It's a decent protest considering the match will be beamed live all over the world on BT Sports. Can't see Ashley being too happy about DW Sports being advertised all over the World at his football club (also him and Dave Whelan hate each other).

I remember the protests in the 80s.  I was just too young to join in.  One mid week game springs to mind when protestors broke into West stand after game took over the tannoy.  Leading to sack the boards chants from every single person.  Now of you do anything like that your treat with disdain.  Back in those days Charnleys car would have been smashed up every match

I'd go back for a game if i actually thought a worthwhile protest was going to happen.  My vote would go to a half time peaceful pitch invasion during a SKy/BT game.  Refuse to leave.  They can't arrest 50k people or afford to ban them.  Holding bits of paper up is going to change nothing

Fair play to them for actually doing something though, none of the other groups are. Just seems so fucking small time :lol: Hardly even a 'protest'

criticising others for trying to protest and calling them "fucking small time" with a smiley emoji.

why what the fuck are you doing to get ashley out?

I doubt the cameras will focus on them during a live broadcast, like. The PL isn't going to want to give DW free advertising. It's a pretty crappy idea but it's better than nowt I guess.

The biggest statement for Tuesday night would've simply been to not turn up. Imagine how much of a talking point that would be. It would be huge but unfortunately I can't see it being a reality until it's too late, if ever.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

It's not new news, but Peter Crouch sums it up nicely in his new book (which is an absolute roar). He said that crowds are completely different, and match-going folk are customers who demand entertainment as opposed to die-hard supporters of a club who will be supportive through thick and thin. He compared them to people who go to the theatre - pay your money and want a show, and complain if it's not up to your expectations. He categorised away fans as the only real embodiment of the old school supporter, and I'd agree with that. I'd guess that 80% plus of our season ticket holders have never been to an away game

A decent seat plus drinks/food/bets with mates during the “day out” it’s £100 a home match without a doubt.

criticising others for trying to protest and calling them "fucking small time" with a smiley emoji.

why what the fuck are you doing to get ashley out?

Same as you, probably.  Sorry, I'm not personally able to get Ashley out all by myself, therefore I can't have an opinion on anything/anyone else trying. Forgot that one

I doubt the cameras will focus on them during a live broadcast, like. The PL isn't going to want to give DW free advertising. It's a pretty crappy idea but it's better than nowt I guess.

The biggest statement for Tuesday night would've simply been to not turn up. Imagine how much of a talking point that would be. It would be huge but unfortunately I can't see it being a reality until it's too late, if ever.

correct

One/all of these groups need to come together and get a boycott organised. Announce a game many weeks in advance and hammer it hard. If people still want to turn up and we end up with 30k there so be it.

An away boycott might be even better

It's not new news, but Peter Crouch sums it up nicely in his new book (which is an absolute roar). He said that crowds are completely different, and match-going folk are customers who demand entertainment as opposed to die-hard supporters of a club who will be supportive through thick and thin. He compared them to people who go to the theatre - pay your money and want a show, and complain if it's not up to your expectations. He categorised away fans as the only real embodiment of the old school supporter, and I'd agree with that. I'd guess that 80% plus of our season ticket holders have never been to an away game

This is a fairly unique situation though, and not one that would have existed before PL clubs became a licence to print money. I'd formerly have classed myself in the bold camp, if you go back far enough in my post history to when I was young and stupid, you'd find me fuming that there were 20,000 empty seats on an ice cold Thursday night for a UEFA Cup clash with some fucking Israeli peasants.

I agree with you about the changing demographics of football fans, but the situation's a bit flipped on its head here because the club puts no effort in at all, which is an assumption the "thick and thin" argument makes. It's many (by no means all, I'm generalising) of the die hards who are the ones fucking it off, while the ones for whom it's a day out, and who don't give that much of a fuck about the result, continue to fill the place. I usually compare the situation at NUFC to wedding vows. I consider my wedding vows sacrosanct but NUFC are shacked up with the woman next door and only pop round once a week to drink my booze and punch me in the face. Honouring them isn't loyalty, it's idiocy.

fucking ridiculous man. me and my "posh -geordie" speaking kids as middle class as you can get, but we've been involved in plenty of protests going back to the "sack pardew" days. there's plenty chavs giving it the "support the team, man", "nee point protesting", "rafa' gotta a take a load of the blame".

a lot of the magpie group back in the day protesting againts McKeag were middle class professionals.

The demographics of the average PL football fan has changed in the last 20 years. Now, the average supporter is a middle-older aged man, from a middle-class background. The days of us young lads all standing together in the Gallowgate (which I did!) are long gone. And football is all the worse for it.

Sky and the PL have taken the game away from the working class.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

This is a fairly unique situation though, and not one that would have existed before PL clubs became a licence to print money. I'd formerly have classed myself in the bold camp, if you go back far enough in my post history to when I was young and stupid, you'd find me fuming that there were 20,000 empty seats on an ice cold Thursday night for a UEFA Cup clash with some fucking Israeli peasants.

I agree with you about the changing demographics of football fans, but the situation's a bit flipped on its head here because the club puts no effort in at all, which is an assumption the "thick and thin" argument makes. It's many (by no means all, I'm generalising) of the die hards who are the ones fucking it off, while the ones for whom it's a day out, and who don't give that much of a fuck about the result, continue to fill the place. I usually compare the situation at NUFC to wedding vows. I consider my wedding vows sacrosanct but NUFC are shacked up with the woman next door and only pop round once a week to drink my booze and punch me in the face. Honouring them isn't loyalty, it's idiocy.

Fair points man, it's a broader generalisation about what supporting a football club looks like in the prem. The additional uniqueness of our situation is that as the die hard fans have (rightfully) fucked off their season tickets they've been replaced by the new breed of spectator/customer.

Guest reefatoon

They need to be all behind our goal, they will be seen constantly then. Quickly hand them over to the other side of the ground for the second half bumming. Constant exposure for 90 minutes then

The fact that it's on BT and not Sky is good. Whereas Sky have been very unsympathetic and are clearly in Ashleys camp, BT have given any protests and the general mood of the supporters far more coverage. Hopefully Jake Humphreys is presenting as well because he'll certainly talk about it.