Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Dave

Whatever Thompers - i'm trying to have a reasonable argument.

Honestly can't be arsed though when i'm 'talking shite'. :roll:

Learn how to argue.

I don't need to argue. It wasn't a great performance unless we would have dominated the game, actually posed a threat on more than one occasion, and more importantly would have got a result.

Great performance :lol: Small club mentality continues to filter through.

Face the reality mate.

We're not a Champions League battling club.

We'll not qualify for the UEFA Cup.

We probably won't even finish in the Top 8, it'll be a hell of an achievement if we do.

We'll finish in the bottom half, probably 11th or 12th. Face the facts - we're one of the 'nice teams' that the Top 6 will enjoy playing against. As happy and optimistic as i am about our recent change in fortunes - we're in the same league as the Wigans, the Evertons, the Fulhams this season. And with the team we put out tonight - that eleven is worthy of a bottom three/four place.

It was a great performance given the circumstances.

And we'll never be a Champions League club again if our small club mentality lets us accept losses as "great" performances. It wasn't a bad performance. It was a great effort. But a GREAT PERFORMANCE?:lol:

Wait, don't tell me, it was great because we showed true geordie spirit lyk omg :lol:

If we said that it was a great result, then you'd be right. We're saying a great performance - which it was. That's not small club mentality.

Saying it was a great performance after the Charlton game was small club mentality. :roll:

And to be honest, it's the manager (Chairman) that is the reason why we're not challenging in the Top 6, not our fighting spirit.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Thompers, can we agree to disagree?

Sure. But I like you less for disagreeing with me, as I'M ALWAYS RIGHT tongue.gif

If you are always right it is very sad times for Newcastle...think you should turn down the pessimism a bit...no offence.

Sure. But I like you less for disagreeing with me, as I'M ALWAYS RIGHT tongue.gif

If you are always right it is very sad times for Newcastle...think you should turn down the pessimism a bit...no offence.

Arguing for arguings sake tbh. Got to keep his reputation up like.

Guest thompers

I want to know why people think Martins played well, please? He's an attacker. His hold up play was shit, his control poor at times, and he posed no threat at all on goal.

So really, 9 out of 10? Am I posting on www.smackedoffyourtits.com/nufc by accident?

Obviously you didn't watch the game from your description of events.

May I add a disclaimer saying that pessimists should deduct two from all my scores.

I actually did watch the game and feel 9/10 for a striker that posed NO/ZERO/ZILCH threat on goal is just pathetic.

Try replacing Rooney or Drogba with Martins tonight and Im sure you wont get a better result. It was an extremely tough game for Martins and he did very well.

I don't care whther or not it was Martins fault or not! I don't rate players based on whether or not it was their fault. The fact is, whether it was down to Martins or not, that it was a tough game for him and he didn't pose a threat. Unless we give him a 9 anyway as sympathy because it wasn't directly his fault and that if the team had played more attacking he might have been more of a threat? :lol:

So if a player is playing with 10 crap players and he is doing very well but cant get past 5 players every time he has the ball to be a threat against goal you would still rate him badly? This is just an excample because I think we defended well but was not enough support for Martins which I had guessed before the game.

Erm, why would he have to be a threat every time he gets the ball? Martins wasn't a threat throughout the entire game, same how can you give him a 9? If a striker isn't getting the service, you give him an average mark. By your logic, we could lose 12-0 and Martins could get a 9?

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I want to know why people think Martins played well, please? He's an attacker. His hold up play was shit, his control poor at times, and he posed no threat at all on goal.

So really, 9 out of 10? Am I posting on www.smackedoffyourtits.com/nufc by accident?

May I add a disclaimer saying that pessimists should deduct two from all my scores.

I actually did watch the game and feel 9/10 for a striker that posed NO/ZERO/ZILCH threat on goal is just pathetic.

Try replacing Rooney or Drogba with Martins tonight and Im sure you wont get a better result. It was an extremely tough game for Martins and he did very well.

I don't care whther or not it was Martins fault or not! I don't rate players based on whether or not it was their fault. The fact is, whether it was down to Martins or not, that it was a tough game for him and he didn't pose a threat. Unless we give him a 9 anyway as sympathy because it wasn't directly his fault and that if the team had played more attacking he might have been more of a threat? :lol:

So if a player is playing with 10 crap players and he is doing very well but cant get past 5 players every time he has the ball to be a threat against goal you would still rate him badly? This is just an excample because I think we defended well but was not enough support for Martins which I had guessed before the game.

Erm, why would he have to be a threat every time he gets the ball? Martins wasn't a threat throughout the entire game, same how can you give him a 9? If a striker isn't getting the service, you give him an average mark. By your logic, we could lose 12-0 and Martins could get a 9?

In theory yes.

Guest thompers

yes, I am always right. I could also be described as THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF YOU.

I think this is also the point of a midfield.

Look, I can't believe your saying that it was not a good performance. FFS lol. It is not a good result, but it was a good performance, surely you can accept that!

Imagine manure with 14 first team injuries.. Pretty sure their side would be weak also...

Guest thompers

In theory yes.

http://www.virgin.net/music/picturegalleries/qawards2005/pix/04_main.jpg

Borrowed this chaps specs?

Guest thompers

Look, I can't believe your saying that it was not a good performance. FFS lol. It is not a good result, but it was a good performance, surely you can accept that!

I've never said it wasn't a good performance?

A good effort and performance and a "great performance" are worlds apart, imo. Surely you can accept that?

yes, I am always right. I could also be described as THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF YOU.

Hmm, Leazesmag/NE5 claims to be infallible as well...

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

In theory yes.

http://www.virgin.net/music/picturegalleries/qawards2005/pix/04_main.jpg

Borrowed this chaps specs?

What an argument....going to bed now  bluesigh.gif

A good effort and performance and a "great performance" are worlds apart, imo. Surely you can accept that?

I meant great but anyway.

My point is still valid. Given the circumstances that was a great perfromance. Surely?  :lol:

Well it was a good effort from the lads considering, I was expecting a pasting from Chelsea. I wouldn't give Martins a 9 he certianly didn't play that good more like a 6 and Barbayaro was shit. Did anybody see that bit of class from Luque tore three Chelsea players to bits just a wonderful bit of skill, hopefully Roeder will wake the fuck up and play him more, may have to now!.

Guest stormrider

Well it was a good effort from the lads considering, I was expecting a pasting from Chelsea. I wouldn't give Martins a 9 he certianly didn't play that good more like a 6 and Barbayaro was shit. Did anybody see that bit of class from Luque tore three Chelsea players to bits just a wonderful bit of skill, hopefully Roeder will wake the F*** up and play him more, may have to now!.

I can assure you, roeder is not that smart.

Guest thompers

I meant great but anyway.

My point is still valid. Given the circumstances that was a great perfromance. Surely?  :lol:

They're all premiership registered footballers and should be judged equally, not according to what their ability level is supposed to be. Given the circumstances I felt it was a good resilient performance and that we were unlucky not to get a result.

A great performance would have seen us get a result, score a goal (yes thats what we try to do when we play football), and it would have seen us actually string some passes together etc etc. Great effort, yes, but a great performance? We had the minority of the possesion and lost the game. Under such circumstances against any team, the performance itself can't be great. The effort, however, was great.

I thought chelsea made us look good. If they were sharper in front of goal we would have been at least 3-0 down.

However, I am really proud of our young back 4. I say we stick we them.

Rossi was good. Best I've seen him play in our shirt.

Feel really sorry for Luque. Zogs was out at halftime and he should have came on instead of Patty. Damm yu Roeder.

Jose praises magpies

Jose Mourinho was full of praise for Newcastle's defence following Chelsea's slender 1-0 win over The Magpies.

Glenn Roeder's charges have not been known for their resolute defending this term, but kept out the champions for 74 minutes at Stamford Bridge.

Substitute Didier Drogba's close-range finish finally broke the deadlock, but that did not stop Mourinho heaping praise on Newcastle.

"The easiest thing to do in football is to defend and Newcastle did it very, very well," stated Mourinho.

"I think (Steven) Taylor had a great game. They are the team that can defend and they were dangerous with Martins in attack.

"We didn't play very well. When I did the last change (Andrei Shevchenko for Geremi) I knew I could lose the game.

"I'm not chasing an unbeatable record at home. A point at home is not good for the championship.

"I gambled a bit, but we scored the goal. We should have scored the second goal and killed the game.

"I'm happy because normally in these matches when you're not playing well you can lose points. The team was mentally strong enough to deserve the points."

I thought chelsea made us look good. If they were sharper in front of goal we would have been at least 3-0 down.

However, I am really proud of our young back 4. I say we stick we them.

Probably have to tbh mate.

2 youth players in team and 14 players out injured and Chelski could only beat us 1-0 hahahaha

Didn't expect anything from tonights match tbh...saturdays game at Watford is the win we need!!

Huntington looking solid...one for the future i think!! Talor and Ramage seem to be building a solid yes solid partnership too...must be good for the future also!!  :thup:

Taylor and Ramage seem to be building a solid yes solid partnership too...must be good for the future also!!  :thup:

There are our best two centre defenders and should be first choice. Bramble and Moore arent good enough.

I'd say a new left back is top priority in Jan...babayaro was again poor tonight plus we dont have the cover...ramage is usless at left back also...keep him at centre half. Watched the Wigan v Arsenal and Baines was excellent....great tackler...good passing and drives forward with a good shot.....surely we must try to prize him away from the JJB!!!

I wish people would shut up about Luque, he's going its obvious...may aswell let players who are staying get some premiership experience!!