Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Dave

Guest thompers

Martins - 9 ?

What game was I watching? I can't remember him doing anything? Apart from trying to play with his back to goal again, rendering his pace useless.

How can you say it was a great performance when we lost?

It was a great performance in spite of that.

Bollocks. If we are Darlington and had just lost that game 0-1 in the F.A Cup, it was a great performance. Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material shouldn't describe any performance as "great" when so little chances were created and we lost the game.

Great effort. Not a great performance.

Top 6! What are you smoking? Did you see the f***ing team we put out?

What?

Did I say that I consider us top 6 material of did I say "Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material"?

Get over yourself, mate.  It was a great effort by the weak team we fielded.  End of.

Guest thompers

Bollocks. If we are Darlington and had just lost that game 0-1 in the F.A Cup, it was a great performance. Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material shouldn't describe any performance as "great" when so little chances were created and we lost the game.

I was only listening to it on the radio... yet i know that it was a great performance. Some of the players we had in the squad would struggle to get into the Darlington side. :roll:

So if Man Utd, Liverpool, or even Arsenal lost a game 1-0 in ANY circumstances to ANY team, do you think that any of their respective supporters would ever describe it as a great performance? Just comparing the mentality of ourselves and the clubs we're supposedly aiming to match.

If they had a squad our size, and fourteen first teamers injured, and lost 1-0 at Chelsea while putting in that performance - yeah, i think Sir Alex woul dhave every right to be proud of his players.

Proud of the players for their effort surely, but not for their great performance.

I was only listening to it on the radio... yet i know that it was a great performance. Some of the players we had in the squad would struggle to get into the Darlington side. :roll:

So if Man Utd, Liverpool, or even Arsenal lost a game 1-0 in ANY circumstances to ANY team, do you think that any of their respective supporters would ever describe it as a great performance? Just comparing the mentality of ourselves and the clubs we're supposedly aiming to match.

If they had a squad our size, and fourteen first teamers injured, and lost 1-0 at Chelsea while putting in that performance - yeah, i think Sir Alex woul dhave every right to be proud of his players.

Proud of the players for their effort surely, but not for their great performance.

You're just being daft. Considering the circumstances - it was one hell of a performance. We didn't deserve to lose.

Guest thompers

Top 6! What are you smoking? Did you see the f***ing team we put out?

What?

Did I say that I consider us top 6 material of did I say "Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material"?

Get over yourself, mate.  It was a great effort by the weak team we fielded.  End of.

Fuck yourself, mate. Where did I say it wasn't a great effort? On the contrary, I actually stated the exact same thing. Fucking hell, some people on this board are infuriating. Some people are too stupid to even grasp a basic point trying to be made.

Guest thompers

You're just being daft. Considering the circumstances - it was one hell of a performance. We didn't deserve to lose.

We didn't deserve to lose and it was a great effort from the team considering the circumstances. But it wasn't a great performance. Easy really.

Guest thompers

You just argue for the sake of arguing Thompers. No fucker likes you here.

Wish I could ban you but I can't bluebiggrin.gif

Sorry, but you are... ?

Guest toonarmy1810

FFFSFSFFSFSFSFSFFSFSFSFSF!!!

We have a top3 team injured! And we narrowly lost to the "champions" I'll say it was a good effort -performance! Some people on here deserve to fuck rite off in my opinion! In fact u twats deserve the mackems !

Guest GeordieAce

I'm dissappointed we didn't get a result. The players undoubtedly deserved it.

Given - 7 - Made a couple of good saves

Huntington - 7 - a good debut considering he kept Robben and Cole quiet for most of the match. Might have learnt a lesson from their goal though.

Taylor - 8 - Defended excellently today

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Babayaro - 9 - Absolutely outstanding performance, tackled well and was vital in our counter attacks.

Milner - 7 - Marshalled the right flank well

Butt - 7 - Played an extremely intelligent and committed game which saw us boss the midfield in the first half.

N'Zogbia - 7 - Helped the team move forward well on the counter-attack

Rossi - 7 - Showed great enthusiasm, and passed the ball around very well. Created a good chance for himself.

Sibierski - 8 - Imposed himself very well in the air, had some good touches leading up to counter-attacks and generally ran his socks off.

Martins - 9 - Lacked support up front, but ran circles around the Chelsea defenders, frustrated them, and won numerous set pieces. My man of the Match

Pattisson - 5 - Poor first touch and chased shadows. Him coming on allowed Chelsea to take control of the midfield.

Luque - 5 - some good touches, but did not have any time to make a positive or negative impression.

9? I thought he was f*cking horrendous tonight.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Given: 8

Huntington: 7

Taylor: 9

Ramage: 6

Babayano: 7

Milner: 8

Butt: 9

Zoggy/Pattison: both 6

Rossi: 8

Sibiersky: 8

Martins: 9

Want an explanation ask....

Huntington - 7 - a good debut considering he kept Robben and Cole quiet for most of the match. Might have learnt a lesson from their goal though.

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Babayaro - 9 - Absolutely outstanding performance, tackled well and was vital in our counter attacks.

Butt - 7 - Played an extremely intelligent and committed game which saw us boss the midfield in the first half.

Rossi - 7 - Showed great enthusiasm, and passed the ball around very well. Created a good chance for himself.

Sibierski - 8 - Imposed himself very well in the air, had some good touches leading up to counter-attacks and generally ran his socks off.

Martins - 9 - Lacked support up front, but ran circles around the Chelsea defenders, frustrated them, and won numerous set pieces. My man of the Match

Pattisson - 5 - Poor first touch and chased shadows. Him coming on allowed Chelsea to take control of the midfield.

Luque - 5 - some good touches, but did not have any time to make a positive or negative impression.

he put one back tackle other than that he played well, definitly the best iv seen from him in a while

We didn't deserve to lose and it was a great effort from the team considering the circumstances. But it wasn't a great performance. Easy really.

Sorry, but it was, considering the circumstances - there is no way that you can call that anything else but a great performance. Hell - even if we had we have performed like that with our first team - i would have been relatively pleased. Simply because we battled hard, and frustrated the hell out of the Champions. Had we have drawn 0-0, which is 1 point that we would have deserved, you'd be agreeing with me.

Martins - 9 ?

What game was I watching? I can't remember him doing anything? Apart from trying to play with his back to goal again, rendering his pace useless.

He literally ran circles around Chelsea at times. He was feeding off long balls, yet kept the ball under control brilliantly, and cleverly waited until someone had either caught him up to offer support or fouled him. It was a very intelligent performance.

You just argue for the sake of arguing Thompers. No fucker likes you here.

Wish I could ban you but I can't bluebiggrin.gif

Sorry, but you are... ?

Arrogant too, hah, love it

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72816857.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A69B755FB4305C41CE329DF394FE942516

Guest thompers

I want to know why people think Martins played well, please? He's an attacker. His hold up play was shit, his control poor at times, and he posed no threat at all on goal.

So really, 9 out of 10? Am I posting on www.smackedoffyourtits.com/nufc by accident?

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Obviously you didn't watch the game then

Probably the most we've attacked at Stamford Bridge in years (combined). Good steely performance, typical scuffed shot falls to Drogba for tap in goal, but apart from that we were rock solid in defence. Great considering the team we had out there. Hopefully we'll take confidence from this performance and keep the good run going.

Sibierski header, remind me of any other shots please?

Rossi volley, Milner howler of a shot, 2 Sibierski headers and I definitely remember there being a few more.

Can't believe Baba is getting a 9 off some folk.  If Kalou buried the chance he created by mauling him, we'd all be pissing chips at the "dreadful error that cost us the goal" just now.  Other than that, I don't see what he did to warrant what is practically a best player in our team rating.

Nice effort though.  Can't complain, were always going to lose regardless of who we had out tonight.

A Very resilient showing tonight. The lads should be proud of themselves. I thought we were calm and very intelligent in our shape and closing down. None of the Chelsea star academy had a sniff to be honest, and their goal was indeed a lucky one.

Butt was immense yet again, keeping in mind that it was he against Ballack, Lampard and Essien/Makelele as he was partenered by an ineffective Zoggy and an inexperienced Pattison. Did everything right bar give away that one ball in the last 2 minutes.

Steven Taylor was outstanding, and Ramage not too far behind. I'm so glad it was these two that toughed it out together against Chelsea. It's games like these that build character and confidence in defenders, and I hope the pair can go from strength to strength in steps. Babayaro was alright, but still couldn't resist the usual stupidity at times.

Hunty was nervy early on, but was well protected by the hard-working Milner and then Pattison. Excellent debut. Looks, runs, passes and moves like a center half though, and should play there once or twice before this season is out.

Rossi was very clever and industrious. The boy's technique is superb, as you'd expect from a Man U player. Put a great effort in (for obvious reasons).

Sibierski and Martins is a partnership that works. Le Sib again made life difficult for the opposition, and his positioning aimed to pull them out of shape. Difficult task was getting the ball to Martins on the run, who also had to play a little deep. He had a good game, and was left frustrated by a lack of chances. He's a fiesty little fucker who looks like he's beginning to understand the physical nature of the English game. Will do well if he keeps his head down and works hard for the team.

Shay was outstanding tonight as well. No major solo-showing, but did pull off a couple of excellent saves to deny Robben, one of which was a world class save yet again. Assured captain's performance.

Glenn Roeder can't be falted, and it was quite clear the team he had out was prepared to do battle with Chelsea, and looked nowhere near as clueless as the teams put out by his predecessor. If this is good coaching on his part, or Pearson's, then it's only a good thing. We are playing with shape, pace, and intelligence. I really hope we can strengthen in January, and for the injury list to get shorter, as I believe the group of players are actually starting to play for Roeder now.

Let's give Watford a good hammering shall we?

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Where did you watch the match?