Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Dave

I want to know why people think Martins played well, please? He's an attacker. His hold up play was shit, his control poor at times, and he posed no threat at all on goal.

So really, 9 out of 10? Am I posting on www.smackedoffyourtits.com/nufc by accident?

Have to agree Martins was pretty average....The ball always seems to bobble around under him..Where are his feet ffs!!

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I want to know why people think Martins played well, please? He's an attacker. His hold up play was shit, his control poor at times, and he posed no threat at all on goal.

So really, 9 out of 10? Am I posting on www.smackedoffyourtits.com/nufc by accident?

Think he was excellent baring in mind the circumstances. He was often surrounded by 2-3 Chelsea players and often got long balls to handle with. He produced a great cross to Sib and a couple of times really close to getting the ball from a through pass by Sib. With players like Dyer, Emre and Duff beside him he will shine....no doubt!

Guest thompers

How can you say it was a great performance when we lost?

It was a great performance in spite of that.

Bollocks. If we are Darlington and had just lost that game 0-1 in the F.A Cup, it was a great performance. Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material shouldn't describe any performance as "great" when so little chances were created and we lost the game.

Great effort. Not a great performance.

I was only listening to it on the radio... yet i know that it was a great performance. Some of the players we had in the squad would struggle to get into the Darlington side. :roll:

So if Man Utd, Liverpool, or even Arsenal lost a game 1-0 in ANY circumstances to ANY team, do you think that any of their respective supporters would ever describe it as a great performance? Just comparing the mentality of ourselves and the clubs we're supposedly aiming to match.

If they had a squad our size, and fourteen first teamers injured, and lost 1-0 at Chelsea while putting in that performance - yeah, i think Sir Alex woul dhave every right to be proud of his players.

Proud of the players for their effort surely, but not for their great performance.

You're just being daft. Considering the circumstances - it was one hell of a performance. We didn't deserve to lose.

We didn't deserve to lose and it was a great effort from the team considering the circumstances. But it wasn't a great performance. Easy really.

Sorry, but it was, considering the circumstances - there is no way that you can call that anything else but a great performance. Hell - even if we had we have performed like that with our first team - i would have been relatively pleased. Simply because we battled hard, and frustrated the hell out of the Champions. Had we have drawn 0-0, which is 1 point that we would have deserved, you'd be agreeing with me.

So just because we had below par players on that put a lot of effort in that means it was a great performance? In which case, the Mackems last season had a lot of great performances and didn't deserve to go down. 0-0 would have been a great result, but even then probably not a great performance. You're talking shite tbh.

Obviously you didn't watch the game from your description of events.

May I add a disclaimer saying that pessimists should deduct two from all my scores.

FFFSFSFFSFSFSFSFFSFSFSFSF!!!

We have a top3 team injured! And we narrowly lost to the "champions" I'll say it was a good effort -performance! Some people on here deserve to F*** rite off in my opinion! In fact u twats deserve the mackems !

Huh????

Martins was not a 9 by his performance. But i think he played well. Strong and  was a worry for their defence, they had respect for him as a player you could see. And he won some balls from the chelsea players after tracking back with strenght and balance.

I would give him 7,5

Guest thompers

May I add a disclaimer saying that pessimists should deduct two from all my scores.

I actually did watch the game and feel 9/10 for a striker that posed NO/ZERO/ZILCH threat on goal is just pathetic.

I'm dissappointed we didn't get a result. The players undoubtedly deserved it.

Given - 7 - Made a couple of good saves

Huntington - 7 - a good debut considering he kept Robben and Cole quiet for most of the match. Might have learnt a lesson from their goal though.

Taylor - 8 - Defended excellently today

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Babayaro - 9 - Absolutely outstanding performance, tackled well and was vital in our counter attacks.

Milner - 7 - Marshalled the right flank well

Butt - 7 - Played an extremely intelligent and committed game which saw us boss the midfield in the first half.

N'Zogbia - 7 - Helped the team move forward well on the counter-attack

Rossi - 7 - Showed great enthusiasm, and passed the ball around very well. Created a good chance for himself.

Sibierski - 8 - Imposed himself very well in the air, had some good touches leading up to counter-attacks and generally ran his socks off.

Martins - 9 - Lacked support up front, but ran circles around the Chelsea defenders, frustrated them, and won numerous set pieces. My man of the Match

Pattisson - 5 - Poor first touch and chased shadows. Him coming on allowed Chelsea to take control of the midfield.

Luque - 5 - some good touches, but did not have any time to make a positive or negative impression.

Where did you watch the match?

Stamford Bridge

Guest GeordieAce

Huntington - 7 - a good debut considering he kept Robben and Cole quiet for most of the match. Might have learnt a lesson from their goal though.

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Babayaro - 9 - Absolutely outstanding performance, tackled well and was vital in our counter attacks.

Butt - 7 - Played an extremely intelligent and committed game which saw us boss the midfield in the first half.

Rossi - 7 - Showed great enthusiasm, and passed the ball around very well. Created a good chance for himself.

Sibierski - 8 - Imposed himself very well in the air, had some good touches leading up to counter-attacks and generally ran his socks off.

Martins - 9 - Lacked support up front, but ran circles around the Chelsea defenders, frustrated them, and won numerous set pieces. My man of the Match

Pattisson - 5 - Poor first touch and chased shadows. Him coming on allowed Chelsea to take control of the midfield.

Luque - 5 - some good touches, but did not have any time to make a positive or negative impression.

9? I thought he was f*cking horrendous tonight.

Obviously you didn't watch the game then

I must of been watching a different game if you think he was 'absolutley outstanding'.

Guest thompers

Whatever Thompers - i'm trying to have a reasonable argument.

Honestly can't be arsed though when i'm 'talking shite'. :roll:

Learn how to argue.

I don't need to argue. It wasn't a great performance unless we would have dominated the game, actually posed a threat on more than one occasion, and more importantly would have got a result.

Great performance :lol: Small club mentality continues to filter through.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I actually did watch the game and feel 9/10 for a striker that posed NO/ZERO/ZILCH threat on goal is just pathetic.

Try replacing Rooney or Drogba with Martins tonight and Im sure you wont get a better result. It was an extremely tough game for Martins and he did very well.

Can't believe Baba is getting a 9 off some folk.  If Kalou buried the chance he created by mauling him, we'd all be pissing chips at the "dreadful error that cost us the goal" just now.  Other than that, I don't see what he did to warrant what is practically a best player in our team rating.

Nice effort though.  Can't complain, were always going to lose regardless of who we had out tonight.

Babayaro had charged forward to play the offside trap, as did Ramage and Hunty. Taylor/communication was at fault there for him not following.

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Stamford Bridge

bluelaugh.gif

Learn how to argue.

I don't need to argue. It wasn't a great performance unless we would have dominated the game, actually posed a threat on more than one occasion, and more importantly would have got a result.

Face the reality mate.

We're not a Champions League battling club.

We'll not qualify for the UEFA Cup.

We probably won't even finish in the Top 8, it'll be a hell of an achievement if we do.

We'll finish in the bottom half, probably 11th or 12th. Face the facts - we're one of the 'nice teams' that the Top 6 will enjoy playing against. As happy and optimistic as i am about our recent change in fortunes - we're in the same league as the Wigans, the Evertons, the Fulhams this season. And with the team we put out tonight - that eleven is worthy of a bottom three/four place.

It was a great performance given the circumstances.

Guest thompers

Try replacing Rooney or Drogba with Martins tonight and Im sure you wont get a better result. It was an extremely tough game for Martins and he did very well.

I don't care whther or not it was Martins fault or not! I don't rate players based on whether or not it was their fault. The fact is, whether it was down to Martins or not, that it was a tough game for him and he didn't pose a threat. Unless we give him a 9 anyway as sympathy because it wasn't directly his fault and that if the team had played more attacking he might have been more of a threat? :lol:

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Stamford Bridge

bluelaugh.gif

I know, it was a rip-off - good thing I brought binoculars.

Guest thompers

Learn how to argue.

Face the reality mate.

We're not a Champions League battling club.

We'll not qualify for the UEFA Cup.

We probably won't even finish in the Top 8, it'll be a hell of an achievement if we do.

We'll finish in the bottom half, probably 11th or 12th. Face the facts - we're one of the 'nice teams' that the Top 6 will enjoy playing against. As happy and optimistic as i am about our recent change in fortunes - we're in the same league as the Wigans, the Evertons, the Fulhams this season. And with the team we put out tonight - that eleven is worthy of a bottom three/four place.

It was a great performance given the circumstances.

And we'll never be a Champions League club again if our small club mentality lets us accept losses as "great" performances. It wasn't a bad performance. It was a great effort. But a GREAT PERFORMANCE?:lol:

Wait, don't tell me, it was great because we showed true geordie spirit lyk omg :lol:

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I don't care whther or not it was Martins fault or not! I don't rate players based on whether or not it was their fault. The fact is, whether it was down to Martins or not, that it was a tough game for him and he didn't pose a threat. Unless we give him a 9 anyway as sympathy because it wasn't directly his fault and that if the team had played more attacking he might have been more of a threat? :lol:

So if a player is playing with 10 crap players and he is doing very well but cant get past 5 players every time he has the ball to be a threat against goal you would still rate him badly? This is just an excample because I think we defended well but was not enough support for Martins which I had guessed before the game.