Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Dave

Ive read through the previous pages of comment, critique and drivel. Unfortunately I could only follow the game on the BBC and here but regardless of our injuries it was a good performance. A great performance would have been Sibs header going in and us winning.

Check back on Chelseas past performances. They are poor comming from behind. We played as well as they did and better for patches. Mourinho didn't make a selection mistake - he put out his best available team then in desperation threw in a couple of forwards - the home record means a lot to him.

The idea that we will finish the season in or near the bottom 3 is ludicrous. Even this bare bones team has shown and is showing that they can be better than at least 70% of the Premier teams.

There is a long way to go yet but today, despite the loss, shows a number of positives. If some of you cant see that - sorry for you. 

Just got back from the pub and we did rather well.

1-0, i would of taken before kick-off, 1-0 with 20mins or so to go, bastid, but the result was probably fair, just.

Soon after Zoggy came off, we stopped attacking, fuking shame, hope the lad is ok, last thing we need.

But it fills me with confidence for our next 3 games at home, i think we could easily win all three.

Chelsea will field the same kind of weakened team and i know at home we could take advantage.

Decent game, we did well, nothing special, but what did you expect?

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Probably the most we've attacked at Stamford Bridge in years (combined). Good steely performance, typical scuffed shot falls to Drogba for tap in goal, but apart from that we were rock solid in defence. Great considering the team we had out there. Hopefully we'll take confidence from this performance and keep the good run going.

Sibierski header, remind me of any other shots please?

A cracking ball from Milner in the first half which split the defence and no-one could put it in.

you can't say that injuries beat us tonight. our youthful, inexperienced squad showed more spirit and determination than any of our injured regulars that saw the field at manU earlier this season.  boy was that one to forget!!

lets hope when our "stars" are fit again they take note of the recent performances and sack up out there...show some balls men. 

as for our squad today, can't be too disappointed about anything other than the 1-0 L, and losing charles.  was a better result than i had predicted and fantastic effort, things could've been far removed had sibierski's header squeaked under the bar.

NOTICE: i'm starting an official movement for taylor and ramage to be our starting center backs even when our injured grannies return. 

Guest MalcolmSm1th

I watched the game on a Saudi transmission and I was very impressed with what I saw.  I saw bags of spirit with tackles going in everywhere and every loose ball being chased.

I thought that Martins was excellent tonight he really gave the Chelsea back four problems and with Sibieski he was a constant threat.  Those two made sure that they couldn't press up the pitch and even though they didn't produce too much in terms of goal scoring chances they eased a lot of pressure off the midfield.

But there were a few good chances made tonight.  And do consider that a good chance need not be man versus goalkeeper it could equally be that ball which almost went through.  For example in the first half Milner played a great ball into the box which spilt the defence open but no-one was on the end of it.  Because it wasn't a shot people may simply discount it.

Huntingdon started off shakily but he settled down and started to look good and strong.  Ramage and Taylor were excellent in the centre back roles and the only real worry is that Babayaro was turned inside out too many times.

I see others here had comments about Luque; I thought he didn't show enough grit tonight.    This is a constant critisism that I have of him and it's in games like today's when he needs to get stuck in more, bowl a few players over but show he means something.  Everyone one certainly did and this caused Chelsea a lot of problems.

If there was one issue that I have with Newcastle's approach to the game was when Milner dived in the second half.  That was beneath him and beneath the club.

Mourinho made his changes early and Drogba did improve Chelsea's game.  And it was that change which gave Chelsea the goal in the end as he was a handful.

There's comments and signatures here about Roeder should be sacked.  Shame on you for saying this; he's given the team great belief and fire in their bellies.  Okay, so they lost 1-0 away at the Champions, that's nothing to be ashamed of particularly after how they played tonight and with an injury list which has to be second to none.  I remember a few years ago, even when Robson was in charge, looking at a line up and thinking how could they win this and they were rolled over.  Tonight was different and tonight was a night to be proud of the way that Newcastle played.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/12/14/sfgche14.xml

"Jose Mourinho briefly inserted some of his B team in the Premiership before switching to Plan A and restoring "untouchables" like Didier Drogba, who promptly rescued the unconvincing champions".

blueupset.gif

But do acknowledge our injuries...

"The midfielder damaged medial knee ligaments challenging Frank Lampard and becomes the 14th member of Glenn Roeder's playing staff to fall lame. Someone at St James' must have run over a black-and-white cat."

I must say, though we lost I still had a little smile on my lips, great performance by all our lads, we played better than Arsenal did, unfortunately we didn't get a well deserved point. And f*** off with those injuries, what the f*** is wrong, are the players playing with glass legs... sure looks like that...

Nice piece of play from Luque at the end there, taking 3 Chelsea players out of the game with an immense display of skill. Almost makes you wonder why f***ing Matty P came on ahead of him.

Aside from that, gutsy performance, probably deserved to get a result.

Yes I wanted to mention that too...Great skill from Luque to slip the ball for Martins...We need such skillful technical players on the field to create such chances out of nothing. It is a shame that we are not making the most out of Luque's abilities in threading balls and making chances for the strikers...I would love to see how we play with Martins, Sebiersky and Luque behind them or on the left...

Guest s0ftcore

I was gutted when they scored! Because once they did, it didn't seem as though we'd look like scoring  bluesigh.gif

Somebody mentioned earlier that if we had scored first, we might have won because Chelsea don't have a good record of coming from behind? They conceded first against Man Utd and Arsenal - and they stepped up their game so much it was pretty scray. I thought the only way it seemed possible to win today was we score right at the end so they wouldnt have time to try equalize (let alone go for the win)

Thompers has got a point. I don't think it was a great performance. We were solid as a unit defensively, but we lacked bite when we attacked. I think we missed Emre here because Martins lacked service. Nobody was able to provide the final ball through. Definitely a great effort though, considering the team we put up. Performance wise: it was like watching a band outta new songs

Ratings:

Shay 7 - reliable when called upon, especially with the Robben freekick.

Hunty 7 - started nervously but was solid and kept Chelsea's left flank quiet. Didn't offer much up front though

Taylor 8 - marshalled the backline very well. Great in the air. Unlucky with the goal

Ramage 7 - was excellent in the air but his distrbution is annoying. Most of the time he got the ball he'd just punt the ball up without looking for options.

Baba 6.5 - was ok except for the occasional scares. He seems to panic when the winger runs at him but pretty much handled them if they tried running down the byline. Would have given him a 6 but deserves the extra 0.5 for clattering Robben  :thup:

Milner 7 - industrious. Up and down but couldn't get put through in a position often enough to pose a threat. Set pieces were decent as well.

Butt 9 - not a foot wrong. My MOTM

N'zog 6 - shame about the injury. He did ok positionally but didnt impose himself

Pattison 6 - same as N'zog but maybe abit more aggresive.

Rossi 8 - linked up well with Martins when going forward, made runs, ran at defenders, had a decent effort on goal and made a nuisance outta himself. Like Milner, shame that he couldnt get put through in a good position often enough

Sibs 8 - unlucky with the header, had a few good touches to Martins. Dropped back and defended well too

Martins 6.5 - his lack of service rendered his pace useless. When he did get the ball he seemed to hold on to it for ages when he seemed to have better options.

Luque n/a - only came on for 13 mins + 3 extra time. Not enough to be gauged. Nice piece of skill when he turned like 3 Chelsea players. I don't see where he can be faulted. Just because he doesn't get stuck in doesnt mean he's shit does it?

Luque's problem lies in his off the ball movement, which is sad to say, rather negligible. On the rare occasions where he does get a hold of the ball however, he really looks like a player who's capable of creating something.

Just about everyone had a decent game yesterday, but boy am I hoping we aren't in for another slugfest when we play Watford.

Yes pattison...at least you'll get some good effort from the lad if nothing else.

Good point about Rossi tho....maybe it'l benifit us in Jan with a possible LOAN move for brown or Silvestre and show Sir Alex we are not messing him about not playing loanie players??

WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT EFFORT !!!

I can give you effort, I can GIVE YOU LOTS OF EFFORT but is that good enough to win games ??? NO FU*CKING WAY...We need CLASS, SKILL, FLAIR, DOOOOOOOR OPENNNNERS...

Pattison was SHIT and has alwasy been whenever he played and it is AMAZING that he has been given more time than Luque on the pitch...I mean with 10 minutes Luque did more than what Pattison has done all this season...

Roeder there is something wrong in your head...

Yes pattison...at least you'll get some good effort from the lad if nothing else.

Good point about Rossi tho....maybe it'l benifit us in Jan with a possible LOAN move for brown or Silvestre and show Sir Alex we are not messing him about not playing loanie players??

I can give you effort, I can GIVE YOU LOTS OF EFFORT but is that good enough to win games ??? NO FU*CKING WAY...We need CLASS, SKILL, FLAIR, DOOOOOOOR OPENNNNERS...

Pattison was SHIT and has alwasy been whenever he played and it is AMAZING that he has been given more time than Luque on the pitch...I mean with 10 minutes Luque did more than what Pattison has done all this season...

roeder has a right to question luque's commitment to the club, he obviously wants outta newcastle in the january window.  i see your point that luque would have made more impact on the match, but maybe roeder was just trying to get some experience for pattison (a player that will be staying at the club).  it was a questionable substitution for n'zogbia though....

Calm down, calm down.

Remember when we played Manyoo in our first game a few seasons ago during Sir Bob's reign? IIRC he said something along the lines of 'now that we've played that game, we can move on and let our season begin from here'. This attitude needs to be applied to this game. We're playing better now. Our injured players will return soon so starting from this game on Saturday when Dyer should return, we need to pick up points quickly and move up the table. We're still only 8 points behind 6th place, which means we've caught up 2 points in 3 matches :)

roeder has a right to question luque's commitment to the club, he obviously wants outta newcastle in the january window. i see your point that luque would have made more impact on the match, but maybe roeder was just trying to get some experience for pattison (a player that will be staying at the club). it was a questionable substitution for n'zogbia though....

Luque said he is only leaving if roeder dosn't give him his chane

so if  roeder does give him his chance,he will stay in our team,but roeder dosn't want him in the squad,and that was clear in the last 2 games...

credit to roeder for giving him those few min yesterday though,he seemed to be able to hold the ball and cause trouble,he was finally going back a bit and helping the defence,OK overall but not too much time

meanwhile pattison was horrible,he wasn't able to hold a ball or pass it,he gave an effort but did nothing to add to our squad..

Guest BillyRay Valentine

watched the match from one of the directors boxes so had a mint view of what was going on both on and off the ball, heres what i remember (through the haze of cristal  :winking:):

first up massive credit to roeder and the team. those miserable buggers in this thread who've taken the 'doesn't matter about the effort, we lost so we're shit' line need to wake up and smell what they're shovelling - we had a very young and inexperienced side out there last night, against arguably the finest collection of talent on the planet at home and desperate for the win, and not only did we make them work damn hard for the victory, if it wasn't for a complete miskick by shevchenko we'd have taken a point and a very well deserved one at that.

that little rant over, on to what i thought of our general play. although we were solid and disciplined when chelsea had the ball, when we had posession i thought we let ourselves down a bit. the player with ball was often isolated very quickly through a combination of chelsea closing down (which i have to say was excellent all night) and a lack of awareness by his team mates, forcing the longer more difficult pass to be attempted which was frequently intercepted. roeder's moulded us into a half decent passing side so it was a bit disappointing seeing us forget the basics of pass and move, making yourself available for the short return ball for large parts of the game. a bit more belief in our ability and a little less respect for chelsea would've helped.

when we kept the ball on the deck our attacking play did have them worried on occasions, so again it was disappointing to see us go ariel so often. terry is simply immense in the air and we got no change out of him last night going down that route. as i mentioned above chelsea's closing down often left this as our only option. again a bit more belief would have made the difference, but our squad is hardly blessed with strength in depth right now.

onto the players themselves. i thought butt gave another very solid display, protected the back four well and tried to keep it simple when players made themselves available. good hold up play from le sib, once him and martins get properly tuned in we'll have a decent partnership there. milner was full of running, whipped in a coupla decent corners and put himself about. rossi too was impressive in an unfamiliar left wing role, battled hard all night and his first touch and close control was consistently sublime, a cut above the rest of our players, can see why the ferg rates him so much. taylor and ramage performed very well at the back with my only real critisism reserved for babayaro, consistently got caught out of position and gave a away 2 or 3 free kicks in the danger area whilst trying to make up his ground. didn't think much of the zog in the centre either, but its a tough position to play and again what choices do we have right now?

all in all a tough battling display from a team clearly suffering from a horrendous injury list. what we lacked in quality last night we made up for in guts, determination and spirit. i know its a bit of a cliche but chelsea apart, take 11 or 12 senior first teamers out of any side in the league and see how well they play

I was sitting opposite you BRV and agree with all you say

one thing that I noticed tho was just how much BIGGER the chelski players were than our lot - they looked as if their training regime, like that of the Arse, really bulks up their players

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Apart from the fact that I wasn't sitting in the directors' box I could have written every single word which BillyRay Valentine wrote as I think that his assesment of the game was spot on.

Guest BillyRay Valentine

I was sitting opposite you BRV and agree with all you say

one thing that I noticed tho was just how much BIGGER the chelski players were than our lot - they looked as if their training regime, like that of the Arse, really bulks up their players

definately, nandralone all round, apart from SWP who looked liked an oompa loompa.

also gotta tip my hat to you guys, awesome support for the full 90. could regularly hear you over the chelsea lot

Apart from the fact that I wasn't sitting in the directors' box I could have written every single word which BillyRay Valentine wrote as I think that his assesment of the game was spot on.

nice one mate - biggest thing that struck me about the game was the fact that despite the state of our team compared to chelsea's they just weren't THAT much better. they had the lions share of possession granted, but when we stayed on our feet and tracked the men running off the ball, they had very little penetration

I thought Chelsea were disappointing, tbh. I know they say all the best teams have to grind out results, but I think if that had been Man Utd, they would've given us a right pasting.

Good point about their players' physique: the likes of Ballack, Lampard, Essien, Terry, etc. are real athletes. Our lot don't come close, really.