Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Dave

Guest thompers

How can you say it was a great performance when we lost?

It was a great performance in spite of that.

Bollocks. If we are Darlington and had just lost that game 0-1 in the F.A Cup, it was a great performance. Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material shouldn't describe any performance as "great" when so little chances were created and we lost the game.

Great effort. Not a great performance.

Probably the most we've attacked at Stamford Bridge in years (combined). Good steely performance, typical scuffed shot falls to Drogba for tap in goal, but apart from that we were rock solid in defence. Great considering the team we had out there. Hopefully we'll take confidence from this performance and keep the good run going.

Bollocks. If we are Darlington and had just lost that game 0-1 in the F.A Cup, it was a great performance. Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material shouldn't describe any performance as "great" when so little chances were created and we lost the game.

I was only listening to it on the radio... yet i know that it was a great performance. Some of the players we had in the squad would struggle to get into the Darlington side. :roll:

I know hes young but didn't think that Matty Pattison cut the mustard.

Great performance from Taylor and Milner and a good start from Huntington.

Game could have gone the other way at a few point, so a good display away against

the premiership champions.

Guest thompers

Probably the most we've attacked at Stamford Bridge in years (combined). Good steely performance, typical scuffed shot falls to Drogba for tap in goal, but apart from that we were rock solid in defence. Great considering the team we had out there. Hopefully we'll take confidence from this performance and keep the good run going.

Sibierski header, remind me of any other shots please?

Guest TheOrder

Make that TWO Sibierski headers.

Fighting preformance. Sheer force of will + shite finishing from Kalou and Sheva almost handed us a most deserved point.

The boost of confidence we should recieve from this game is probably worth far more than just a point in the long term, as long as Roeder capitalizes on it in the locker room.

Solid preformance from all of our regulars, and Babayaro showed some definite improvement. Perhaps Nigel Pearson is indeed our blessing in disguise?

Huntington obviously had butterflies raging in his stomach, but he did a solid job in what must have been a tough first start. He'll look back on tihs day with pride if he goes on to do great things.

Pattison still looks unready for first-team football. Mostly invisible with some shocking mistakes in between. Understandable though, and hope the lad doesn't take it too hard.

Overall, I'm happy that we showed the cocky overpaid diving ****ers that we're no pushovers. Hope we kill them next week at home.

We might not have the multi-million-pound players (outside of the physio room anyway,) but we've got more than enough spirit to be ten times the team Chelski is.

Just hope Zog and Sib are ok :(

Proud to be a fan. Howay the lads.

i watched the game and we werent just sitting back absorbing, we were trying to put them under pressure and did so a few times!

Top 6! What are you smoking? Did you see the fucking team we put out?

Only 1 more, there was 2 from Sib.

First-half diagnosis?

What a battle could have had two or three goals, defended well, hung on a bit at the end but great performance

Second-half diagnosis?

Much the same, took the inevitable goal with grace and really went for it, didnt lie down and kept plugging until the final whistle

Full-time diagnosis?

One of the best battling displays we have seen in a long time, the belief is back in the dressing room and its getting back out to the stands, result aside performances like that and the addition of our injured players will see us right back where we want to be.

Star man for United?

All of them - each player went out there with a demon and vanquished them, they can take this performance with them for the rest of the season and beyond.

Worst United player?

hard to single anyone out. There were a few errors from everyone but no one let us down.

Opposition comment?

Didnt look like league champions for the most part, but certainly had the class when it counted.

Toon-pros?

The performance

The young-uns playing out of their skins

Martins playing well again likewise every other regular

Defence was great for the most part

Also looked like scoring

Toon-cons?

N'Zog out, Sibbers taking another knock

Gutted not to take something from the game, but it cant be held against them.

Post-match feelings?

If all goes well we will have Solano, Emre, Parker, Duff and Dyer to put back into the side by this time next week.

Fantastic fight from our boys though, barely had anyone over the age of 23 playing. Have real belief that we have turned a corner after tonights performance. We just missed that extra magic and class but ran them really close.

Props out to Roeder who's tactics were spot on we sat deep and chelsea rarely got in behind us, we battled as good as i have seen us battle in recent seasons and have given ourselves another morale boost even with a loss.

A corner has certainly been turned, now Watford must feel our wrath come the weekend

the run is over now, we lost.

Guest thompers

I was only listening to it on the radio... yet i know that it was a great performance. Some of the players we had in the squad would struggle to get into the Darlington side. :roll:

So if Man Utd, Liverpool, or even Arsenal lost a game 1-0 in ANY circumstances to ANY team, do you think that any of their respective supporters would ever describe it as a great performance? Just comparing the mentality of ourselves and the clubs we're supposedly aiming to match.

I'm dissappointed we didn't get a result. The players undoubtedly deserved it.

Given - 7 - Made a couple of good saves

Huntington - 7 - a good debut considering he kept Robben and Cole quiet for most of the match. Might have learnt a lesson from their goal though.

Taylor - 8 - Defended excellently today

Ramage - 7 - Solid shift

Babayaro - 9 - Absolutely outstanding performance, tackled well and was vital in our counter attacks.

Milner - 7 - Marshalled the right flank well

Butt - 7 - Played an extremely intelligent and committed game which saw us boss the midfield in the first half.

N'Zogbia - 7 - Helped the team move forward well on the counter-attack

Rossi - 7 - Showed great enthusiasm, and passed the ball around very well. Created a good chance for himself.

Sibierski - 8 - Imposed himself very well in the air, had some good touches leading up to counter-attacks and generally ran his socks off.

Martins - 9 - Lacked support up front, but ran circles around the Chelsea defenders, frustrated them, and won numerous set pieces. My man of the Match

Pattisson - 5 - Poor first touch and chased shadows. Him coming on allowed Chelsea to take control of the midfield.

Luque - 5 - some good touches, but did not have any time to make a positive or negative impression.

Guest thompers

Top 6! What are you smoking? Did you see the fucking team we put out?

What?

Did I say that I consider us top 6 material of did I say "Premiership clubs that consider themselves top 6 material"?

So if Man Utd, Liverpool, or even Arsenal lost a game 1-0 in ANY circumstances to ANY team, do you think that any of their respective supporters would ever describe it as a great performance? Just comparing the mentality of ourselves and the clubs we're supposedly aiming to match.

If they had a squad our size, and fourteen first teamers injured, and lost 1-0 at Chelsea while putting in that performance - yeah, i think Sir Alex woul dhave every right to be proud of his players.