Miguel Almirón

Deuce

The last time Murphy started a PL game he scored and got two assists. The opposition were poor that day but he is absolutely capable of starting games at this level; he has done loads of times and been an asset. I don't think it would be the end of the world if we're relying on him at starting RW until the end of the season; he's got the pace, energy and discipline to efficiently keep the seat warm before upgrading meaningfully in the summer. 

Just now, Andy said:

The problem is, Miggy should also be a squad player, not a starter. But of all the players you could define by that sentence, he's by far the one you could get the most money for.

If the club HAVE to sell someone, he is the best option imo. 

Id rather lose Miggy than Trippier/Bruno(obviously) or whatever we would have to sell but yes ideally hed be a solid squad player going forward not a sacrificial sale for FFuckingP

Just now, Andy said:

The problem is, Miggy should also be a squad player, not a starter. But of all the players you could define by that sentence, he's by far the one you could get the most money for.

If the club HAVE to sell someone, he is the best option imo. 

This is the problem. I've consistently said I want him on the bench for a year or two more but he's one of the most saleable assets that doesn't have a future as a starter.

It's sad times but if it's anywhere near £20m I completely see why it's happening.

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

Only Lee, Solano and Speed have scored more from midfield in the last 30 years in a Newcastle shirt but as many here have said its not really the goals we will miss losing him.

That says more about the standard of wingers we've had for the majority of that time to be fair. The few decent ones we've had have been moved on far more swiftly than Miggy. 

Guest reefatoon

Don’t mind this at all if it means we can bring in players and also keep our more important/better players.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

The last time Murphy started a PL game he scored and got two assists. The opposition were poor that day but he is absolutely capable of starting games at this level; he has done loads of times and been an asset. I don't think it would be the end of the world if we're relying on him at starting RW until the end of the season; he's got the pace, energy and discipline to efficiently keep the seat warm before upgrading meaningfully in the summer. 

can see them spending the money now, Howe likes the versatile players so could we sign someone who plays up front across the front 3 and would be starter on the wing but backup up top which then provides flexibility to the front line while Isak/Wilson dip in and out of fitness.  

I love the lad but if we can get an inflated fee for him at this stage of his career it's good business. In a years time there will basically be no market for him. People need to put the sentimentality aside and trust the club here IMO - they're operated shrewdly and ruthlessly.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

That says more about the standard of wingers we've had for the majority of that time to be fair. The few decent ones we've had have been moved on far more swiftly than Miggy. 

Even the great ones(Ginola) averaged a goal every TEN games to be fair, Miggy offers a lot going both ways but to many fans its never enough

Snippets I have heard 

miggy - was due for Saudi this summer (brought it foward to help ffp in this window to get a midfielder)

trippier - also Saudi bound in the summer (Bayern Munich interest has changed things) 

could go depending on how much they offer

wilson - arsenal, atletico , plus 1 other club interest 

Wilson is happy at nufc though , very settled / kids now settled

was rushed back to play when Isak was injured , played two games in quick succession and wasn’t fit enough to do that 

1 minute ago, JonBez comesock said:

Snippets I have heard 

miggy - was due for Saudi this summer (brought it foward to help ffp in this window to get a midfielder)

trippier - also Saudi bound in the summer (Bayern Munich interest has changed things) 

was rushed back to play when Isak was injured , played two games in quick succession and wasn’t fit enough to do that 

How’s your source for all of this? 

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Snippets I have heard 

Trippier in Saudi [emoji38]

If Charlotte hated Madrid… good luck!

Just now, Fezzle said:

Even the great ones(Ginola) averaged a goal every TEN games to be fair, Miggy offers a lot going both ways but to many fans its never enough

If you remove that spell from last season where everything he hit was going in, it's a different story though. It's not unfair to say it was a purple patch given that he's never replicated it before or after. 

Wingers back in the day were more the traditional cross early/beat a man and cross type too. Not inverted forwards as they are now. Someone like Robert for example was far more effective than Miggy even though he scored less goals for us. 

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t think Murphy is a PL starting winger. He has improved a great deal under Howe and he’s looked really good at times but he’s never been a starting winger in the league for us really, just short spells of games. I’d say it’s a massive risk not replacing Miggy if we don’t. Murphy is a squad player for us not a starter 

Don't think there's that much between the two personally. Miggy has better movement which is no small thing, but Murphy is much more direct.

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

We also don't play with wingers since Howe came in.  It's not fair to compare wingers predominantly playing in a 4-4-2 from an era where tactics were very different.  To players like Gordon and Almiron, who are forwards in a front three. 

EDIT - you beat me to it :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Just now, Andy said:

If you remove that spell from last season where everything he hit was going in, it's a different story though. It's not unfair to say it was a purple patch given that he's never replicated it before or after. 

My point was he offers much more than just goals despite many fans thinking its not enough but whatever

Seriously who are we playing when 2 out of Gordon, Barnes and Murphy inevitably pick up little tweaks or strains? :lol:

If we don't buy someone we surely need to recall Minteh 

Just re Murphy again, haven't rigorously fact-checked but by my reckoning, of all the games he's started this season and last, our record is: W13 - D2 - L3.

Goodbye Miggy - works his arse off & has scored some lovely goals for us over the past few years.

The PSG goal will stay with me forever. 

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Seriously who are we playing when 2 out of Gordon, Barnes and Murphy inevitably pick up little tweaks or strains? :lol:

I would imagine Miggy wouldn't be leaving unless we had a player lined up. It's not like he's out of contract in the summer, he could've gone then instead but we must need the cash to allow someone/or two to come in this window.

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Dubs 

Lacelles   Schar  Botman

Tino                                                Dummett     

Bruno  Miley Longstaff

Isak Wilson

2 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

My point was he offers much more than just goals despite many fans thinking its not enough but whatever

I don't disagree with that, but at some point you have to replace graft with consistent end product when it comes to wide forwards. The only way we'll ever be able to do that is by selling squad players like Miggy when their stocks are as high as they're going to get.