Miguel Almirón

Deuce

My main issue with Almiron is that we should have sold him last summer when his stock was at its highest, we need to shift players before the decline and I think most fans knew that last season was unlikely to be as good as the season before. 

Clearly we aren't trying to push our luck with transfers to Saudi teams, which is very frustrating, but if we did we could have sold him to to Saudi league last summer for £25m and no questions would have been asked after the season he had. Now we could be stuck with him and Murphy for another year when every other position at the club has been strengthened significantly since the takeover. 

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

177 games in the PL for us.

23 goals. 6 (!) assists.

Take away that purple patch...

He's a great athlete and a shite footballer. 

And you wonder why no decent club will touch him?

No wonder we can't get shot of him, I'll run around for £40k a week and produce naff all.

Imagine selling a serviceable squad member for peanuts and then failing to sign a replacement and being stuck with just Murphy. people would lose their minds. 

This isn’t as cut and dried as some are making out. 

everyone knows about the goals and assists thing but ASM has none of them either but people preferred him cos they’d rather watch stopovers than pressing. Fair enough, but that’s not what Eddie values.

I agree with the point made earlier that Almiron allows Trippier to come forward and create assists, where he has outperformed. Might be the same with Livramento which is one reason I think some of the criticism he gets can be a bit OTT. Team game and all.

So if he goes and we replace well, then great. But if not, it's hardly some disaster to me, whereas being short in defence seems a bigger risk. 

On the price - we're conditioned to thinking he's worth what we want, but that's a good offer from an MLS club. It doesn't mean it's all he's worth in the wider market.

Anyway, I look at our squad for the start of the season and I'm quite relaxed. There's time to let things play out.

Edited by Abacus

7 minutes ago, Vaj said:

My main issue with Almiron is that we should have sold him last summer when his stock was at its highest, we need to shift players before the decline and I think most fans knew that last season was unlikely to be as good as the season before. 

Clearly we aren't trying to push our luck with transfers to Saudi teams, which is very frustrating, but if we did we could have sold him to to Saudi league last summer for £25m and no questions would have been asked after the season he had. Now we could be stuck with him and Murphy for another year when every other position at the club has been strengthened significantly since the takeover. 

From all reports we tried but Miggy did not want to go to Saudi.

3 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

Imagine selling a serviceable squad member for peanuts and then failing to sign a replacement and being stuck with just Murphy. people would lose their minds. 

This isn’t as cut and dried as some are making out. 

everyone knows about the goals and assists thing but ASM has none of them either but people preferred him cos they’d rather watch stopovers than pressing. Fair enough, but that’s not what Eddie values.

I won’t lose my mind for that. I don’t think Almiron is far better than Murphy. Both should be replaced.

8 minutes ago, Vaj said:

He has never wanted to go to Saudi so its irrelevant what you think we could get for him there or when.

1 hour ago, johnny36 said:

If we turned down 8.5 million for Almiron then I dont want Eales or Howe to mention PSR affecting us ever again..We had a chance to move on players (Trippier in Jan) and now Almiron and refused both..Cant have it both ways

Said this in January when we turned down the Trippier move to Bayern. We ended up having to sell Minteh and Anderson instead so there's no getting away from it. We held onto Trippier gambling he'd get us into Europe and it failed. Maybe we are doing the same with Miggy, and if our aim is Europa rather than CL then fair enough. He might be good enough to be described as a top 6 player or someone who could pass for one.

I'm actually really surprised we haven't been more ruthless in selling at peak value considering all the noise from Eales a year ago.

Edited by TRon

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Said this in January when we turned down the Trippier move to Bayern. We ended up having to sell Minteh and Anderson instead so there's no getting away from it. We held onto Trippier gambling he'd get us into Europe and it failed. Maybe we are doing the same with Miggy, and if our aim is Europa rather than CL then fair enough. He might be good enough to be described as a top 6 player or someone who could pass for one.

I'm actually really surprised we haven't been more ruthless in selling at peak value considering all the noise from Eales a year ago.

Even if we'd sold Trippier, we'd still have had to sell Minteh and possibly Anderson.

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Even if we'd sold Trippier, we'd still have had to sell Minteh and possibly Anderson.

Aye. The original plan was to sell Joelinton.

43 minutes ago, Menace said:

Howe also rated ASM and it was a good decision to bin him off in the end...

Did he though? Didn't pick him much and did talk about the need for positional discipline.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Maybe, but every decision like this impacts further down the line. If we want to keep Almiron because we think he's worth more than £8.5m, then in a year's time that's £8.5m million we won't have to spend ongoing. Add that to the £12m we allegedly turned down for Trippier, that's £20m+ we've knocked back for players in their 30's in the space of 6 months.

The justification must be we think they can get us into the CL this season, which is fair enough if they do. If they don't then we'll have to account for that money next season because it ain't coming back.

4 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Did he though? Didn't pick him much and did talk about the need for positional discipline.

“I spoke to him on Monday, there was actually a lot of emotion between us. I won’t speak for Allan but when a player has done very well for you, which Allan has for me, I’m very grateful for every player that commits and gives their all for the team.”

“I respect him immensely. I know he feels the same way as I do about the football club. There’s no issue between us. We have had a really healthy relationship from day one. Sometimes things have to happen for the club to grow and Allan to experience something different.

“You can’t replace him with a similar type because there is nobody like him. “I don’t think there has been an issue with work-rate.

“You say industrious. But in his way he is really committed to what we asked him to do. Last season was difficult for him, he picked up a couple of injuries so I don’t think we saw the very best from him. The Man City game was Maxi could be for us on a regular basis. Nobody is doubting his talent.”

“Allan is a unique player. I am sure I will never coach somebody like him again. I am talking about the player here, he can do things nobody else can do. And he does give us a totally different dimension, he is somebody we don’t want to lose.”

we going to have the same squad as last season arent we, with the only addition being kelly (and tonali obviously) 

murphy/almiron as our RW  options. 

kelly/burn/schar as our CBs (until botman/lascelles are back)  :icon_puke_l:

Just now, Chris L said:

we going to have the same squad as last season arent we, with the only addition being kelly (and tonali obviously) 

Even if this is the case, I am confident we still have enough to potentially challenge for top five which is hopefully CL. If we can get a CB and a RW in then of course we will look even better for it, but lets not dismiss how good our team is already. 

8 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Eh? We’ve had a £55m bid knocked back in recent days. We’re not just sitting around doing nothing 

I feel like if Almiron is starting games this season, after supposed interest from Saudi and the MLS, then he is going to cop a lot more flak than usual.  It seems like fans have 'turned' on him to varying degrees and the fanbase have been unanimous in needing a decent right wing option for the last couple of years or more.  So he will become the focal point of people's frustrations.  

He certainly shouldn't be getting any shit.  But at the same time, I'm not really sure why we are holding onto him.  Are we really going to get that much of a better offer?  Say £12-15m for him?  He's a wideman that doesn't score or create and he's 30 now and a player that relies on pace and workrate. 

Can hear the audible groans and swearing when we fuck up yet another opportunity for a shot at goal, due to his inability to make a decision or refusing to use his right foot. 

19 minutes ago, Vaj said:

Even if this is the case, I am confident we still have enough to potentially challenge for top five which is hopefully CL. If we can get a CB and a RW in then of course we will look even better for it, but lets not dismiss how good our team is already. 

yeah i agree, not dismissing that, more just the factor teams around have strengthened when we have not. so its more that worry than anything. 

11 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I feel like if Almiron is starting games this season, after supposed interest from Saudi and the MLS, then he is going to cop a lot more flak than usual.  It seems like fans have 'turned' on him to varying degrees and the fanbase have been unanimous in needing a decent right wing option for the last couple of years or more.  So he will become the focal point of people's frustrations.  

He certainly shouldn't be getting any shit.  But at the same time, I'm not really sure why we are holding onto him.  Are we really going to get that much of a better offer?  Say £12-15m for him?  He's a wideman that doesn't score or create and he's 30 now and a player that relies on pace and workrate. 

Can hear the audible groans and swearing when we fuck up yet another opportunity for a shot at goal, due to his inability to make a decision or refusing to use his right foot. 

TBF he's been getting shit for as long as I can remember, there's only been one period where people really got behind him.