Miguel Almirón

Deuce

Almiron's goofy face doesn't do him any favours. When he's had a stinker and you look at his goblin-like mug and think "you can F off".

He's been a loyal servant and had a good season last time around but it's time for a big upgrade.

11 minutes ago, Mountain said:
11 minutes ago, Mountain said:

Almiron's goofy face doesn't do him any favours. When he's had a stinker and you look at his goblin-like mug and think "you can F off".

He's been a loyal servant and had a good season last time around but it's time for a big upgrade.

[emoji38]

Edited by PauloGeordio

13 minutes ago, Mountain said:

A Goofy Movie Reaction GIF

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO still has a role at the club but it needs to be off the bench or rotation. Not getting Kudus or Palmer was a massive missed opportunity.

Would have loved Palmer. Not very often a young English player with his potential becomes available. 

13 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Would have loved Palmer. Not very often a young English player with his potential becomes available. 

He would've been so perfect for us. Kudus too - who can play CM, AM, ST, RW - played all of these pretty much in equal measure.

For the total cost of 1 banned Italian. I wonder how much that signing was a vanity one - getting the AC Milan captain.

Signing a 26 year-old LW as well... when we already have one that is younger, similar profile, and arguably has a higher ceiling.... I just don't get it.

Edit: Even Joao Pedro - younger, cheaper than Barnes. Can play LW, upfront or 10 if we wanted the flexibility.

Edited by The College Dropout

33 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO still has a role at the club but it needs to be off the bench or rotation. Not getting Kudus or Palmer was a massive missed opportunity.

Palmer was the big one for me - Northern lad, proven quality, can play in a number of positions (all of which we're crying out for), young and only £40m-ish.

He would have been a transformational signing.

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

FFS, why would he be a vanity signing? We desperately needed a CM. 

Honestly think people just enjoying making up problems sometimes. 

It's just a lot of money for a big name. It's definitely a bit of a marquee signing and all marquee signings are a bit of a vanity exploit IMO. Isak was the same. Rice, Bellingham, Caicedo.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It's just a lot of money for a big name. It's definitely a bit of a marquee signing and all marquee signings are a bit of a vanity exploit IMO. Isak was the same. Rice, Bellingham, Caicedo.

Utter bollocks. We signed him because we desperately needed a player in his position, as we did for Isak. It had nothing to do with his status - it's completely against how we have operated for two years. 

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Have I read this wrong? Real Madrid signing the best young player in the world was a vanity signing?

Guest reefatoon
15 hours ago, Aiston said:

Any other player gets the 'doesn't matter before Howe' treatment or the 'what happened to only wanting a team that tries' defence. :lol:

Yeah, we need an upgrade on him but the different treatment he gets compared to the rest is fucking nuts, I guess due to being 'next one out'.

No, people are just calling out his deficiencies and how poor he has been, but some people just won’t let themselves see it because they like him. If people can’t see how poor he has been and how little he offers in an attacking sense well that’s on them.

He will and should be the next one out though as he is the weak link and we don’t have other options, so hopefully we do upgrade. 

I'm not buying the Tonali signing as being a vanity one, but the Barnes over the likes of Pedro and Palmer points towards our signings being 'system' buys and not just how good a player is. I'd say P&P are better than Barnes with a higher ceiling but based on our 4-3-3 intense press Barnes was the safer bet.

Hall is the same, if he gets up to speed then he fits the profile of what we need in a full back.

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well, given the wall of red in front of him, he had a roll back to the edge of the box (which would have been the better option) but hardly a massive range of options. 

In fairness that would have been giving it to Longstaff and he would have just walloped it over the bar anyway.

33 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I'm not buying the Tonali signing as being a vanity one, but the Barnes over the likes of Pedro and Palmer points towards our signings being 'system' buys and not just how good a player is. I'd say P&P are better than Barnes with a higher ceiling but based on our 4-3-3 intense press Barnes was the safer bet.

Hall is the same, if he gets up to speed then he fits the profile of what we need in a full back.

I mean, we were heavily in for Pedro so we obviously did class him as fitting the system. We signed Isak instead. I don't think it was ever a choice between Pedro and Barnes, they are two completely different players.

35 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Have I read this wrong? Real Madrid signing the best young player in the world was a vanity signing?

Yes you have read it wrong.

There's an element of vanity to all marquee signings. If we consider marquee signings a real thing in football - let's define the term:

"A marquee player is an athlete who is considered exceptionally popular, skilled, or otherwise outstanding, especially in professional sports.[1] Its name comes from theater marquees, on which the names of the stars of productions in said theater are often emblazoned in order to draw spectators." - wiki (I know)

Just found this article which I think is interesting: https://thesetpieces.com/latest-posts/pieces-of-hate-marquee-signings/

"Before continuing it is perhaps worth exploring the three stipulations that might make a new signing marquee:

1 – The exchanging of a large amount of money for a prime asset; upwards of £30million in old money but now likely to exceed £50m. Not, however, the defining feature of a marquee signing.
2 – The context and significance of the signing; a wider acceptance that this signing will raise the club’s appeal and ability to compete to another level.
3 – The bandwagon that develops around the new signing from within the club and its supporters; an intrinsic belief that this new signing is a game changer for the club."

I think Tonali fits that description perfectly. A large amount of money for a prime asset. It was meant to indicate we could compete at a higher level of football and the signing was meant to be significant and a bit of a gamechanger. Doku was also signed for a lot of money but he wasn't a marquee signing because it lacked the other features.

A marquee signing has an element of vanity about it. But it doesn't mean it's a vanity purchase or not signed for footballing reasons/needs. But there's an element of pride, achievement and "look at what we've done" about all marquee signings.

"Signing the best young player in the world" most definitely has an element of vanity to it. But it doesn't make it a vanity signing.

The Tonali signing was definitely us flexing our muscles in the transfer market. With FFP being so tight, that was a lot of eggs in one Italian basket.

5 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

FFS, why would he be a vanity signing? We desperately needed a CM. 

Honestly think people just enjoying making up problems sometimes. 

It's more infuriating when they put their Captain Hindsight specs on. I'm sure if everyone had known he was going to be banned for a year we'd all have agreed it was a terrible signing.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's more infuriating when they put their Captain Hindsight specs on. I'm sure if everyone had known he was going to be banned for a year we'd all have agreed it was a terrible signing.

Well yes :lol:

Hindsight is great but I am not sure anyone would have paid what Chelsea paid for Palmer

Their current transfer strategy has been notorious for spending big money on young unproven players

With our FFP wriggle room (or lack of) I can see why we tried to go for mostly more proven entities in a domestic and european level with the summer signings. Shame it has gone the way it has gone this year.

Also I don't think we're quite at the "vanity signing" stage as a club

Edited by Amir_9