Miguel Almirón

Deuce

15 hours ago, Joe1984 said:

Wouldn't have got 30. Fair Market Value. We didn't for ASM.

He’s a more effective PL player than ASM.  I don’t think he’s a particularly good PL player, but he’d be in my side ahead of ASM every week

Think he looks worse in whatever role he's been in the last two games, seemed to come central so much more often.

Rarely any use of Trippier/ Almiron getting us up the pitch as well the past two games.

Had a couple of good crosses and a great through-ball to Gordon and that's it.

36 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He’s a more effective PL player than ASM.  I don’t think he’s a particularly good PL player, but he’d be in my side ahead of ASM every week

Not on this season’s form. He’s always been a high effort / mediocre quality player but that would be an extremely generous way of describing this season for him. He’s been awful for a while and needs dropping.

44 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Neither of them are effective at this level. There's a reason no half decent clubs have been in for them.

Not having a striker was a hinderance yesterday. But it was compounded by Almiron’s decision making when we had some great opportunities.

As is so often the case with him. He makes the wrong decision or takes so long to make his mind up. That the angle/opening for the pass, shot or cross is gone. 

He is in the same boat as Burn and Longstaff, for me. No lack of effort and have played important roles plenty of times over the last couple of seasons. So it is hard to be too critical. But they are constantly below the level required now and it’s magnified with so many of our regulars missing. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not having a striker was a hinderance yesterday. But it was compounded by Almiron’s decision making when we had some great opportunities.

As is so often the case with him. He makes the wrong decision or takes so long to make his mind up. That the angle/opening for the pass, shot or cross is gone. 

He is in the same boat as Burn and Longstaff, for me. No lack of effort and have been played important roles plenty of times over the last couple of seasons. So it is hard to be too critical. But they are constantly below the level required now and it’s magnified with so many of our regulars missing. 

Burn is actually a top competitor, he's part of the leadership group for a reason. He's just not physically or technically capable of really high level football these days. Miggy and Longstaff are support players, alright as back ups, but they don't really have the temparement to be in the limelight when our main stars are missing.

6 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Not on this season’s form. He’s always been a high effort / mediocre quality player but that would be an extremely generous way of describing this season for him. He’s been awful for a while and needs dropping.

ASM and Almiron have as many goals and assists as each other this season - but I know who is playing in the harder league

Seen it mentioned on one of the podcasts today that Trippier has more assists in this one season than Miggy has managed his whole career here, which is six seasons. If that's true, it's an absolutely disgraceful statistic. Don't really want to see him starting games from here on in, although with the injuries we've got he's probably going to be starting most of them.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Seen it mentioned on one of the podcasts today that Trippier has more assists in this one season than Miggy has managed his whole career here, which is six seasons. If that's true, it's an absolutely disgraceful statistic. Don't really want to see him starting games from here on in, although with the injuries we've got he's probably going to be starting most of them.

tbf though - Tripps take all the corners, all the free kicks and is playing in a much better team that Miggy was previously. That being said Miggy needs to look up once in a while and pass - that statistic would then shoot up.

Genuinely wondering if he went for scoring on his own, particularly on those two situations that left Gordon & Trippier jumping up and hitting the air in frustration when he missed ( :lol: ), to prove his worth since we tried to offload him in January.

7 hours ago, Conjo said:

Genuinely wondering if he went for scoring on his own, particularly on those two situations that left Gordon & Trippier jumping up and hitting the air in frustration when he missed ( :lol: ), to prove his worth since we tried to offload him in January.

He’d be better off just sticking to given Tripps the ball.

I love his pressing and his enthusiasm. He has the footballing brain of a newt and he’s probably the most one-footed player I’ve seen since Arjen Robben. 

If he were a laptop he would have three buttons.

1. play a little one two and make a run in behind 

2. Cut inside and shoot for the top left. 

3. Run your ass off and re-endear yourself to the supporters purely based on effort. 

8 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Gordon is proof you can find a player who can press, but can also do it in terms of numbers. I think he can be replaced fairly easily.

If he’s starting next season as our first RW option then questions have to be asked 

9 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Gordon is proof you can find a player who can press, but can also do it in terms of numbers. I think he can be replaced fairly easily.

I don't particularly rate him, but Jack Harrison would have replaced him quite easily.

Probably worked out well in the end that we didn't get him the previous summer. The Almiron golden period was one of the main reasons we went on the run from drawing almost every week, to being top 3 contenders by the World Cup.

I've no doubt he'd have given us more this season though.

Limited player. Don't think the transfer speculation will have done him any good mentally. it is what it is with the lad, I just laugh at those that think he's a good player at this level. Watching football with your brain disengaged.

Signing a RW should've been a top 3 priority last summer and we are paying the price now.

48 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I never agreed that replacing Miggy was a priority last summer.

It’s next on the list but I can understand why it wasn’t done given the work rate we need from a Howe winger. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to think Gordon, Barnes, Almiron, Murphy plus Anderson would have been enough to have a good season again. Having to go with just two and half of them pretty much for the full season couldn't have been expected. Staggering how Gordon has managed to still keep a good level of performance up to this point (even if there was a month spell where he looked out on his feet). 

54 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I never agreed that replacing Miggy was a priority last summer.

It’s next on the list but I can understand why it wasn’t done given the work rate we need from a Howe winger. 

Our wing options are the weakest in the top 8 by a distance. Massive drop off in quality. This Almiron season was always going to happen & Murphy is not it. There's nothing below them either. It's weak.

Gordon (left)

Barnes (left)

Murphy (right)

Almiron (right)

Joelinton (back-up left)

Ritchie (back-up left and right)

It's so weak.

Compare that to Brighton even:

Mitoma (left)

Fati (left)

March (right)

Adingra (right)

Buonanette

Enciso

March & Enciso have had long-term injuries this season too. But they've got a bit of depth which has helped tremendously.

Our top 2 are excellent but there's a big drop-off from there. The depth is poor And the RW is so weak.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to think Gordon, Barnes, Almiron, Murphy plus Anderson would have been enough to have a good season again. Having to go with just two and half of them pretty much for the full season couldn't have been expected. Staggering how Gordon has managed to still keep a good level of performance up to this point (even if there was a month spell where he looked out on his feet). 

Think it was imagined that Willock and Joelinton could spend some time on the left side too. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

14 hours ago, duo said:

tbf though - Tripps take all the corners, all the free kicks and is playing in a much better team that Miggy was previously. That being said Miggy needs to look up once in a while and pass - that statistic would then shoot up.

That's true, but Trips takes all the set pieces because he can put in a decent delivery in the first place. If Miggy had much of a left foot he'd be worth his weight in gold giving us an option for set pieces from the other side. It says quite a lot that he's never even been considered. His left peg is pretty useless basically, and that's his favoured side.