Robert wants to return - NOTW

Guest alexharrisonnufc

In 03-04 nobody came close. He got 12 goals and a s*** load of passes leading to goals. And was Booed off against Wolves.

That striker you not keen on scored a few goals that season.

Not keen on? I thought he should have retired two seasons before he did but I don't question his brilliance within the team from 97-04.

Robert was pants by the time he left IMO.

He was dreadful. His career has been a joke since he left us too. Magnificent under Sir Bobby though, him and Bellamy really turned that team around.

invite him for a trial, if he doesn't do well, don't sign him. if he does, sign him until the end of the season with a view to a longer contract if he does well. simples  :thup:

This. We having nothing to lose. If Robert is keen on a return then perhaps he'd see it as a good opportunity to come in and do a job for a bit. Still say that as infuriating as he was, the lad was sheer quality under SBR. No-one has come close since. I'd even put him ahead of Ginola if I'm honest.

2001/02 - 10

2002/03 - 5

2003/04 - 12

2004/05 - 5

It should be noted that he had limited opportunities under Souness. Typical posturing by the Scot in not bringing him on against Chelsea on the last, probably the most pissed off i've been as a toon fan, until Fulham last season.

2001/02 - 10

2002/03 - 5

2003/04 - 12

2004/05 - 5

It should be noted that he had limited opportunities under Souness. Typical posturing by the Scot in not bringing him on against Chelsea on the last, probably the most pissed off i've been as a toon fan, until Fulham last season.

All 5 of those goals in his final season were direct free kicks iirc. He still had some of the talent but just wasn't the same player once Souness arrived.

He was dreadful. His career has been a joke since he left us too. Magnificent under Sir Bobby though, him and Bellamy really turned that team around.

Dreadful? So presumably you were happy that we left him out against Lisbon? He was having a decent season when he played, and was signed up by Benfica after us, which is where the decline truly started.

Guest neesy111

2001/02 - 10

2002/03 - 5

2003/04 - 12

2004/05 - 5

All 5 of those goals in his final season were direct free kicks iirc. He still had some of the talent but just wasn't the same player once Souness arrived.

yes, was any player ever the same after souness came. NO

Strangely seemed to lose it when he left us - was bizarre really as during his time here (under SBR) he was nothing short of incredible. Still can't quite believe the stick the lad used to get.

It is all relevant though as he maybe was not as good or consistent as others at that time but if he was playing now he would be our best attacking player easily.

He was our best player back then tbh.

he was, the stick some people gave him was unbelievable, some people would rather have a team of grafters than a team with skillful and flair players

so what if he wouldn't defend, he should be the final 3rd as that where he was most dangerous

the best winger this club has had since the 70's

Better than Ginola? Not for me.

2001/02 - 10

2002/03 - 5

2003/04 - 12

2004/05 - 5

Sounds like a pure coincidence that.

Guest neesy111

Dreadful? So presumably you were happy that we left him out against Lisbon? He was having a decent season when he played, and was signed up by Benfica after us, which is where the decline truly started.

that was the day this club's decline trully started

Guest Roger Kint

2001/02 - 10

2002/03 - 5

2003/04 - 12

2004/05 - 5

You would be right

Guest neesy111

2001/02 - 10

2002/03 - 5

2003/04 - 12

2004/05 - 5

Sounds like a pure coincidence that.

we haven't even scored 5 goals direct from free-kick's since he left

Guest Roger Kint

Had a spell at Pompey first, enter Harry Redknapp and end of career

Take away Solano's purple patch in 05-06 and you'd probably be right Neesy.

He was an absolute monster from set pieces and imparted topspin on the ball that defenders didn't know how to deal with at times. Easily well worth his place in the team under Souness.

He didn't score any from open play that season because he didn't start many games and we were basically clueless going forward. Souness wanted him to play like a LWB at times.

Guest Roger Kint

He didn't score any from open play that season because he didn't start many games

How many did he start & how many times did he come on as a sub?

34/13

I used to love Robert, one of those players that really excited me. I was at St James' when he scored that free kick against Liverpool, what an amazing strike that was :smitten: ´

Can't imagine him being even half the player he was back then though, and at the age of 34, what would be the point of signing him?

We still needed him in the team as he had some end product but he was a shadow of the player the season before. As I mentioned, not one goal from open play isn't what you would have expected from him given the previous season, it was a staggeringly fast decline. In terms of dreadful I mean right at the end, his performace against Spurs in the 1-0 loss was absolutely pathetic. He went to Pompey for half a season straight from us iirc and did absolutely nothing, housemate at the time supports them and was really excited about it but he was a complete waste of space apparently.

Guest Stephen927

I used to love Robert, one of those players that really excited me. I was at St James' when he scored that free kick against Liverpool, what an amazing strike that was :smitten: ´

Can't imagine him being even half the player he was back then though, and at the age of 34, what would be the point of signing him?

And then you take into account that Lovenkrands, Gutierrez and Pancrate can play left wing.

He didn't score any from open play that season because he didn't start many games

How many did he start & how many times did he come on as a sub?

34/13

That's misleading. He started 15 games in the league under the scottish twat despite being fit all season. Funnily enough he was on the bench from the word go with Souness and spent the last 10 games mainly as a unused sub.

Basically he started 1 in 3 under Souness in the league despite us having no other natural left-winger in the squad (except a very young Zog), says it all.