The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Giving the winners of it a CL place was the nail in the coffin regarding any respectability it had as a competition. Dropping CL teams in halfway through, changing to the current awful name, and expanding the CL were all steps towards this ultimate demise.

The UEFA Cup used to be a fantastic competition.

Would you prefer knockouts throughout like they used to do or stick with a group stage round?

Got fond memories of the UEFA Cup when it was just knockout throughout underr SBR, played canny teams (PSV, Basel, Marseille etc)

That being said, I've never got the impression Liverpool looked down on the Europa League/UEFA Cup in the way some other clubs do. Interesting the attitude Man United fans have to it when they've won nowhere near as many of either the two European competitions as they have.

Has the prize of a CL place not given it a bit more credibility in that teams take it more seriously?

It's a bit of myth teams don't take it seriously IMO as it basically boils down to the top 5/6 in England don't take it seriously and then they do at the last 16 stage.

If you’re in it, you want to win it.

Man Utd. have won 2 trophies post Fergie. They lost mostly because they are losers and Sevilla are winners. Few of this team know what it’s like to win competitions.

They lost all their semi’s to teams that win trophies. 

A club their size won’t win the league without winning a cup first.

Has the prize of a CL place not given it a bit more credibility in that teams take it more seriously?

I get the logic but you shouldn't need the prize of another better competition to give worth to a competition in the first place. It's a retrograde step. By doing so you fundamentally devalue it. Teams are now competing to win it purely because it gets you into the Champions League, rather than competing to win it because it's a major European trophy with 50 years of history. I don't think that makes it more prestigious, quite the opposite. It makes it the same as finishing 4th place in the Premier League or Serie A.

UEFA Cup lost its worth because the Champions League has become hugely inflated in terms of participants from the major leagues (4 or 5 teams getting in now). Whether that's a good thing or not is open to interpretation. Personally I think it's rubbish.

:thup: I buy that. It has lost a good deal of its own gravitas cos of what has happened with the CL.

I don't think it's rubbish though, even if it's perhaps not as good as it was - a return to the straight knockout would be way more exciting, for instance. You've still got famous old clubs, away from the boring elite, battling against each other to win the trophy. Shakhtar, Braga, Prague, Bilbao, Schalke, Celta Vigo, Sporting, Frankfurt, Wolves, Copenhagen... all far more interesting to me than the same old same old usual suspects you get in the CL year after year. Plus I love coming across teams you know either fuck all about or have fallen from grace and are reminding you that they're still there, and are strong sides in a non-elite context.

Just a much more interesting competition imo simply because of the variety of teams in it. Yearn for us to be back in it.

But some proper reform, that might remove the sense of 'Champions League then everything else' from European club competition, wouldn't go amiss, I'd agree. Let it stand alone.

Pep's man city are an example of teams taking every single competition seriously, even the league cup.

and if you see the players interviews after the fa cup semi final, you see how excited the chelsea players were about reaching the fa cup final - giroud in particular was ecstatic.

I get the logic but you shouldn't need the prize of another better competition to give worth to a competition in the first place. It's a retrograde step. By doing so you fundamentally devalue it. Teams are now competing to win it purely because it gets you into the Champions League, rather than competing to win it because it's a major European trophy with 50 years of history. I don't think that makes it more prestigious, quite the opposite. It makes it the same as finishing 4th place in the Premier League or Serie A.

UEFA Cup lost its worth because the Champions League has become hugely inflated in terms of participants from the major leagues (4 or 5 teams getting in now). Whether that's a good thing or not is open to interpretation. Personally I think it's rubbish.

Might gain a bit of worth back when the Europa Conference plumbs new depths next season onwards.