Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

It does feel like crunch time in the next 2 weeks for the club. We have been here many times before where it felt like a pivotal moment in the Ashley era, but it definitely feels like the damage will be difficult for the club to recover from if the worst scenario happens. Ashley will be denial and think he can continue to keep the club on a shoe string if the takeover fails, but without Benitez along with a demoralised and limited squad hard to see the club surviving relegation next season. Ashley can forget getting £350 million ever again if the club is likely relegated next season in its current state. If its a 3rd failed takeover in 2 years then surely word will get out eventually that its just not worth dealing with him.

Benitez has been the plaster over the axe wound since he has been here and he has to drain every ounce of quality the squad to stay up the last 2 seasons. Good luck to the club trying to find a manager that can get the best out of the likes of Atsu and Manquillo on a weekly basis, trying to lift spirits in the squad who have all made clear they want Benitez to stay and making the most of a limited budget with all his contacts. Villa look like they are close to spending the same as Benitez's transfer budget on 4 players and they were a club close to administration not too long ago and they look like they are not done spending yet. This is the reality for Ashley even if he doesn't see it that austerity for a Premier League club just doesn't work anymore.

As for one interested party pulling out of takeover talks its a good and bad thing. Its good because it means less bidders to slow down the process, but bad if that party just couldn't be bothered meeting Ashley's unreasonable demands unless the Bin Zayed Group are possibly are so far down the line getting a deal more or less its not worth getting involved. I'm not sure the silence is a good thing either, we have seen it before with Staveley and Kenyon thinking it was positive signs of a takeover getting done, but then Ashley came out and called them time wasters.

Actually had a dream last night that I was at the match and BZG were sat beside me. Then for some reason I ended up in a lift and Ashley got in. Didn't even say anything to him in case it jeopardised the sale. Ashamed of myself.

There will come a point where the Bin Zayed Group will have to pull out themselves if talks are dragging into July. They want to use the transfer market to influence the teams prospects next season if there isn't enough to do it then its not worth their money. Hopefully if that's the case they will release another statement before Ashley does.

A real sliding doors moment is approaching.

Bloody nervous about it.

I’m nervous about losing Rafa. I’m still confident the takeover will happen but I’m not confident at all on the timescale.

Just because Rafas contract runs out doesn’t mean he can’t sign a new one week later. It’s the whole silence everywhere thing that gives me optimism.

Rafa knows how to play the media. If the club were intentionally letting his contract run out he’d have let that be known.

He’s waiting because he knows more than we do.

Guest The Little Waster

Rafa goes , takeover doesn't materialise you would have to question the sanity of any decent player wanting to stay ... including Longstaff

Bloody nervous about it.

I’m nervous about losing Rafa. I’m still confident the takeover will happen but I’m not confident at all on the timescale.

Just because Rafas contract runs out doesn’t mean he can’t sign a new one week later. It’s the whole silence everywhere thing that gives me optimism.

Rafa knows how to play the media. If the club were intentionally letting his contract run out he’d have let that be known.

That's the thing, I also believe Rafa is optimistic about the takeover and is waiting for it to complete. That makes sense. But the likes of Caulkin keep mentioning other bidders and that gets me worried about this being anywhere near completion.

So much stuff is out there at the moment - opinions, supposed ITKs, statements, conspiracy theories, body language analysis, WhatsApp chats with BZG lawyers - that each of us can choose to focus on 2/3 good points and be optimistic, or a different 2/3 bad points and be pessimistic. I've no idea which side to give credibility to. It's driving me crazy.

Bloody nervous about it.

That's the thing, I also believe Rafa is optimistic about the takeover and is waiting for it to complete. That makes sense. But the likes of Caulkin keep mentioning other bidders and that gets me worried about this being anywhere near completion.

So much stuff is out there at the moment - opinions, supposed ITKs, statements, conspiracy theories, body language analysis, WhatsApp chats with BZG lawyers - that each of us can choose to focus on 2/3 good points and be optimistic, or a different 2/3 bad points and be pessimistic. I've no idea which side to give credibility to. It's driving me crazy.

I’ve heard from enough people connected with the deal who have no connection with nufc otherwise to know it’s definitely in the works.

I’m not privy to any other info though. I don’t know if Mike has moved the goalposts at the last minute.

I suspect not though. I think he met with Rafa to tell him what was happening and to assure him that if doesn’t happen in time (i.e 30th June) that the club could offer a contract that gives him xyz.

If the takeover happens, Rafa is dealing with totally different people, different lawyers etc so it wouldn’t really be in his interest to sign the one from Ashley if he doesn’t have to.

If the 30th passes and there is no comment from anyone (especially Benítez) I see that as a sign of something imminent happening.

Was barely 8 or 9 days ago everyone was saying no news is good news? Think some people are bi-polar

8 or 9 days closer to rafa potentially leaving. Season tickets released and Journos continuously saying it’s no where near close. Don’t have to be a genius to work out why people are edgy

Was barely 8 or 9 days ago everyone was saying no news is good news? Think some people are bi-polar

8 or 9 days closer to rafa potentially leaving. Season tickets released and Journos continuously saying it’s no where near close. Don’t have to be a genius to work out why people are edgy

Aye ano

That's why I was wondering why people kept saying it

Guest Yerdas El Savon

This and Rafa’s contract will all be sorted before the end of the month. I’m fairly stupid and often wrong, mind.

The silence is still a positive sign, imo.