Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

I don't find John Richardson reliable, but that's the first time I have read quotes close to Ashley and it raises a red flag for me regarding the deal. Similar comments were said for the last 2 takeovers and they both eventually collapsed.

I think a lot of fans want rid of Ashley so badly that they're twisting every bit of info so that in their heads its all positive. Things like "journalists who are sceptical are just jealous they missed the scoop" - ignoring the fact that extreme scepticism is absolutely needed with Ashley. And especially when it comes to supposed takeovers.

The position we need to take is to call it out and say we will believe it when it happens. We've seen this stuff fall apart far too many times before.

Remember a few days ago we were already sold, it was a done deal ffs. Now? Starting to look like our bi-annual takeover saga that drags on for a couple of months...by which time Rafa's contract has ran out.

Half glass full...half glass empty...

Full glass over head ala woodgate. 

It's all pontification until something office finally happens. Most people would take the sublime and ridiculous in any measure to the monotony of waiting another month to finalize the truth.

With recent events not going his way and then reactionary moves like selling buildings, it does appear that Ashley is going through a bit of a rut financially.

He definitely wants out and compared to circa 2009 when he made a show of himself in Dubai but wasn’t that bothered if he sold the club or not, this time he can’t afford to call bullshit on the people he’s dealing with.

I don't find John Richardson reliable, but that's the first time I have read quotes close to Ashley and it raises a red flag for me regarding the deal. Similar comments were said for the last 2 takeovers and they both eventually collapsed.

I think a lot of fans want rid of Ashley so badly that they're twisting every bit of info so that in their heads its all positive. Things like "journalists who are sceptical are just jealous they missed the scoop" - ignoring the fact that extreme scepticism is absolutely needed with Ashley. And especially when it comes to supposed takeovers.

The position we need to take is to call it out and say we will believe it when it happens. We've seen this stuff fall apart far too many times before.

Remember a few days ago we were already sold, it was a done deal ffs. Now? Starting to look like our bi-annual takeover saga that drags on for a couple of months...by which time Rafa's contract has ran out.

Why?  Because the process and takeover haven't been completed in the six days since the story broke.  You're letting the journos whip you up into a state where if there's no official statement for a day or two then ITS OFF.

It'll be completed, fat man is gone, just wait for the announcement when it's actually finished and ignore the clueless media.

I wonder if Staveley has any part of this takeover. She is a close friend of the sheijk and was the one who tried to brooker the deal when he tried to buy Liverpool.

She also said a couple of months ago that she still had interest in buying Newcastle.

We are going in circles here and this question has probably been asked a million times already, but can someone tell me how the takeover process of a football club works from beginning to end. I have always thought the fit and proper persons test was the last stage of the takeover process which the Bin Zayhed Group claim to be at yet the deal is still seen as being far from being close to done according to the media.

There has been a lot of poor reporting in the media regarding the takeover, but I think some people are setting themselves up here for a fall saying this or that report is fake news then like the two previous takeovers Ashley comes and crushes the dream. The two statements from the Bin Zayhed Group are promising, but after initial optimism I'm leaning towards the view that this takeover will just fall apart.

Guest godzilla

There has been a lot of poor reporting in the media regarding the takeover, but I think some people are setting themselves up here for a fall saying this or that report is fake news then like the two previous takeovers Ashley comes and crushes the dream. The two statements from the Bin Zayhed Group are promising, but after initial optimism I'm leaning towards the view that this takeover will just fall apart.

It's all we can really go of in terms of what is being reported. Unless it is rubbished by an 'official statement' from Ashley or the club we can only summise that things are going the way as reported within that statement. I just can't believe that a multi-billion pound organisation would make false statements as their reputation would be shattered, something which is very important over in the Gulf. The level of journalism in reporting these events has been some of the worst I have encountered and utterly shambolic. The likes of Ryder and company have actually far exceeded their general incompetence.

If we do get new owners, I wonder if it's too late for them to buy the land back next to SJP.

happy face posted on twitter a few days before this broke that ashley's companies involved in the land deal stuff were being wound up, for what that's worth

The Bin Zayhed Group can't win either way it seems. They make two statements then Edwards says takeovers should not be played out in public and if they go quiet then its seen as not showing action to get the takeover done. I don't know why Edwards and others in the media have so much doubts over the Bin Zayhed Group because they gave more creditability to Kenyon whos proposed takeover was oddest out of the most recent attempts to buy the club. I would love to see Edwards proved wrong because he seems really bitter about it.

https://twitter.com/LukeEdwardsTele/status/1135108952071581699

It’s a week today when this story broke. What has Ashley had to gain by doing this?

These things take time. I also assume that there can be a legal agreement that if Rafa spends X amount based on promises from the new group, if they renege on that they can be sued for it.

Guest godzilla

TBh i can feel the 'Ashley calls off sale calls them time wasters' headline coming now

Nobody really has a clue. I'll wait for either an official confirmation on the takeover or a statement from the club or Ashley stating it's bollocks. In my mind Ashley would have released something by now if it was shit and I just don't believe that a multi-billion pound organisation led by member of the Saudi royal family would put their reputation at risk by releasing those statements.

Guest godzilla

Bit weird that the Sun hasn’t published any follow-up stories of any substance

Why would they BZG released two statements confirming their story.

Why?  Because the process and takeover haven't been completed in the six days since the story broke.  You're letting the journos whip you up into a state where if there's no official statement for a day or two then ITS OFF.

It'll be completed, fat man is gone, just wait for the announcement when it's actually finished and ignore the clueless media.

Its nothing to do with the journos, its the frequency of failed takeover attempts at this club. Has to be a record. Fingers crossed this one happens, but I can't believe until he's gone.

I had these same arguments over the Kenyon deal...everyone said it was definitely happening (even ITK's being nudged by people close to the deal etc). He's still here though.

Its nothing to do with the journos, its the frequency of failed takeover attempts at this club. Has to be a record. Fingers crossed this one happens, but I can't believe until he's gone.

I had these same arguments over the Kenyon deal...everyone said it was definitely happening (even ITK's being nudged by people close to the deal etc). He's still here though.

Frequent? This is the third.

Frequent? This is the third.

Oh sorry I forget loads of owners try to sell their club 3 times in 18 months, find real serious buyers, but just can't do a deal. Yes, frequent.