Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

I had a bit of a go at Douglas on twitter this morning about the press not hounding Charnley more and TBF he did reply and try and explain the he just basically ignores his calls but someone needs to investigate the running of Newcastle United and particularly where the money has gone.

Why isn't he then? God forbid he does something other than ring the club's main number and ask to be put through to Charnley.

The likes of Sack Pardew and Ashley Out showed just how lazy the media are. They laid out at the statistics and facts for everyone to see, it was only then (especially with Pardew) that the media started reporting them.

I had a bit of a go at Douglas on twitter this morning about the press not hounding Charnley more and TBF he did reply and try and explain the he just basically ignores his calls but someone needs to investigate the running of Newcastle United and particularly where the money has gone.

Absolutely.

I find this baffling.

I work for a newspaper myself and I cover football, and I do a fair bit of investigative reporting. I would understand the hesitancy to publish something investigative (i.e. damaging for the club or individuals associated with it) if it wasn’t well sourced, hastily put together and subsequently could mean no access to anything within the club.

But none of that should be an issue.

1. It’s been 12 years. There’s plenty of time for a journalist to investigate Ashley and his running of NUFC, build relationships, dig for documentation or get ahold of material. With time on your hands, you should be able to build a comprehensive case that portrays and illustrates how he’s enriched himself and his companies on NUFC’s behalf.

2. There’s no access anyway. I’ve worked in England and covered Premier League. The way it’s regulated is a piss take, players are protected, managers and others speak on their own terms. The same when I’ve been around the England team, it’s set up in a way that doesn’t exactly encourage critical reporting. When someone talks, it’s most often not through the club anyway. In other words, I can’t see the logic in withholding a relationship with the club (especially not Newcastle). Press conference quotes? Match reports? Quotes from Jamal Lascelles and Paul Dummett saying they’re excited for the League Cup tie with Luton? Nick them off others.

3. The lack of critical and investigative reporting on football in general, Newcastle United in particular, presents a golden opportunity brand-wise. From a reader’s perspective (fans) it’s hugely appreciated when irregularities are discovered and presented. There’s so much to gain from it, and it serves one of the core purposes of journalism. Put money and time into it and you’ll be rewarded long term.

However, I don’t think this sort of criticism should be aimed at reporters. It’s a strategic question, most probably dealt with by editors and others higher up the hierarchy.

Still, with NUFC being such an obvious case, it’s unbelievable that no investigative reporter from another desk, at another newspaper than The Chronicle, has had a real go.

Good post. we need Nick Broomfield on the case.

Absolutely.

I find this baffling.

I work for a newspaper myself and I cover football, and I do a fair bit of investigative reporting. I would understand the hesitancy to publish something investigative (i.e. damaging for the club or individuals associated with it) if it wasn’t well sourced, hastily put together and subsequently could mean no access to anything within the club.

But none of that should be an issue.

1. It’s been 12 years. There’s plenty of time for a journalist to investigate Ashley and his running of NUFC, build relationships, dig for documentation or get ahold of material. With time on your hands, you should be able to build a comprehensive case that portrays and illustrates how he’s enriched himself and his companies on NUFC’s behalf.

2. There’s no access anyway. I’ve worked in England and covered Premier League. The way it’s regulated is a piss take, players are protected, managers and others speak on their own terms. The same when I’ve been around the England team, it’s set up in a way that doesn’t exactly encourage critical reporting. When someone talks, it’s most often not through the club anyway. In other words, I can’t see the logic in withholding a relationship with the club (especially not Newcastle). Press conference quotes? Match reports? Quotes from Jamal Lascelles and Paul Dummett saying they’re excited for the League Cup tie with Luton? Nick them off others.

3. The lack of critical and investigative reporting on football in general, Newcastle United in particular, presents a golden opportunity brand-wise. From a reader’s perspective (fans) it’s hugely appreciated when irregularities are discovered and presented. There’s so much to gain from it, and it serves one of the core purposes of journalism. Put money and time into it and you’ll be rewarded long term.

However, I don’t think this sort of criticism should be aimed at reporters. It’s a strategic question, most probably dealt with by editors and others higher up the hierarchy.

Still, with NUFC being such an obvious case, it’s unbelievable that no investigative reporter from another desk, at another newspaper than The Chronicle, has had a real go.

:thup:

Good read, cheers.

Yeah well welcome to the environment we have lived in over a decade. You get it wrong (again) and a few people give you some shit on the internet.

Basically, we’re frightened to get stuff wrong because some nasty people on the internet will be horrible to us. Grow a pair ffs!

It’s your job!!

Why isn't he then? God forbid he does something other than ring the club's main number and ask to be put through to Charnley.

The likes of Sack Pardew and Ashley Out showed just how lazy the media are. They laid out at the statistics and facts for everyone to see, it was only then (especially with Pardew) that the media started reporting them.

Totally agree...If you`re reporting shit goings on within the running of the club, regardless how you dress it up, if its an accurate reflection & shows the club /owners out to be cynical clowns then the story itself is probably enough to disenfranchise you from any ITK status you might have had. The choice then is surely: Investigate & report the facts (Do your job) or mince around printing benign comment on what the days social media has thrown up.

Guest Gonzo

Why have the club just spammed. Newsno w at 9.24am crap posts from the official site list of videos etc. Is this to prove they are communicating or something... Very very bizarre imo 22 consecutive posts🙄

That’s happened a few times in the last week or two. It could suggest the site being moved to a new server so when they upload all the previous articles they get published again.

What utter shite. It makes for a better story, the discrepancy between the two narratives etc, the background of Ashley in relation to what hes after given his deals at Rangers etc. What Graves means is hes a commercial mouthpiece and hes after spoonfed gossip and rumour rather than any attempt at ttrying to find truth.

So there are supposedly at least 3 interested parties, BZG Group being one of them. What are the other 2 doing? Mike Ashley supposedly wants £350m. If the 3 interested parties know that have they offered that amount? If yes, then what is happening? If Mike Ashley is moving the goal posts then walk away. The loss of Rafa (plus his coaching team) and Perez should reduce the £350m valuation as relegation is currently much more likely. Also, if a group is struggling to come up with the £350m then they'll really struggle to fund the transfers, new manager and other changes required (the TV money is paid in installments throughout the year).

I doubt the takeover will happen purely because of how long it has taken. Most takeovers seem to be done quickly. I was excited after BZG's first announcement when they said it was a done deal. Since then my hope has nosedived.

So there are supposedly at least 3 interested parties, BZG Group being one of them. What are the other 2 doing? Mike Ashley supposedly wants £350m. If the 3 interested parties know that have they offered that amount? If yes, then what is happening? If Mike Ashley is moving the goal posts then walk away. The loss of Rafa (plus his coaching team) and Perez should reduce the £350m valuation as relegation is currently much more likely. Also, if a group is struggling to come up with the £350m then they'll really struggle to fund the transfers, new manager and other changes required (the TV money is paid in installments throughout the year).

I doubt the takeover will happen purely because of how long it has taken. Most takeovers seem to be done quickly. I was excited after BZG's first announcement when they said it was a done deal. Since then my hope has nosedived.

Most clubs don't pay for transfers up front and managers certainly won't expect large initial sums so this isn't a issue.

4 weeks till season starts. Thousands cancelling season tickets, Off to China on Sunday. Key players have left, none in, no manager. It’s fast becoming a mess Ashley won’t be able to get out of. Just sell the club man