Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Read the Athletic article, I had some free time to kill. Very interesting, everyone says he's an nice guy to talk to and you can't help but admire his self made millions determination & business acumen. The whole thing makes it even more inconceivable that for 13 years in a row he's made every bad decision possible. I kind of feel sorry for him that it didn't work out.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that he has, supposedly, next to no knowledge or even interest in football, and has been surrounded by mates and yes men rather than people who possess that knowledge.

Read the Athletic article, I had some free time to kill. Very interesting, everyone says he's an nice guy to talk to and you can't help but admire his self made millions determination & business acumen. The whole thing makes it even more inconceivable that for 13 years in a row he's made every bad decision possible. I kind of feel sorry for him that it didn't work out.

He’s very clearly a two-faced snake.

Aye. In my opinion he’s not buying a team below the Championship, simply because they aren’t profitable.

He’ll want a club who could get promoted and to-yo without too much investment.

If Sunderland were in the Championship, they would be an attractive proposition, a big stadium, a training ground and academy that won’t need much investment over the years (it will, but he’ll have a few years before it needs major re-investment).

They have a decent following, although how many would remain if we become successful and how many will be prepared to keep paying to go and see them remains a big questions. If we did become successful under our new owners, then the support from outside the city in places like Durham and Washington will drop as time goes on.

Also, if you look at his business model, even with SD he made his name buying former big brands which had lost their shine. So if you apply that to football clubs, the two he went for were Newcastle and Rangers, both huge names. By that logic he would be more likely to look at a club like Leeds or Villa; clubs with a huge potential fanbase and big city clout. Sunderland are still considered a waypoint on the way to Newcastle by the rest of the country.