Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Trolling warning... don't take me too seriously... But given this all goes through:

If you look at the number of sales of teams over the last decade maybe his selling strategy has done us a favour.  Pricing out the buyers who wanted to make an immediate profit on us has only left one type of buyer.  Hopefully the mega rich type.  We could have been purchased by some right chancers if he dropped the price by 50-100 million.  It could be that he's done what he promised which was to only sell to a team that can take us forward.

Time will tell when the small print of the deal starts leaking. 

Trolling warning... don't take me too seriously... But given this all goes through:

If you look at the number of sales of teams over the last decade maybe his selling strategy has done us a favour.  Pricing out the buyers who wanted to make an immediate profit on us has only left one type of buyer.  Hopefully the mega rich type.  We could have been purchased by some right chancers if he dropped the price by 50-100 million.  It could be that he's done what he promised which was to only sell to a team that can take us forward.

Time will tell when the small print of the deal starts leaking. 

That’s actually not a bad shout.

Although he could have sold us to the City Sheikh Mansour lot about 10 year ago

Apparently there’s a meeting happening today for Sports Direct where there’s a motion to remove the whole board. There’s a story in the Telegraph but it’s behind a paywall.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he keeps hold of his shares just long enough for things to pick up a bit and then just gets out of there.

It's not the SD board, it is the auditors

"Furious shareholders are expected to oust the entire board of Sports Direct auditor RSM at the embattled firm’s annual meeting this morning as discontent within the firm pours out into public view.

Five shareholders, who claim the backing of about two-thirds of investors, have tabled a motion to remove the current management, as first reported by The Telegraph."

Apparently there’s a meeting happening today for Sports Direct where there’s a motion to remove the whole board. There’s a story in the Telegraph but it’s behind a paywall.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he keeps hold of his shares just long enough for things to pick up a bit and then just gets out of there.

"Furious shareholders are expected to oust the entire board of Sports Direct auditor RSM at the embattled firm’s annual meeting this morning as discontent within the firm pours out into public view.

Five shareholders, who claim the backing of about two-thirds of investors, have tabled a motion to remove the current management, as first reported by The Telegraph."

Unless I'm mistaken, Ashley owns the majority of shares in SD so nothing can pass without his approval.

Ahh.. shame, am really hoping they take a complete tumble now that we’re almost free of their clutches.

That article basically has nothing to do with Sports Direct other than them hiring them. Quite a misleading piece on the surface.

Here’s a question actually, so our club shop is run from Shirebrook, well they handle the distribution etc and take all the profits.

Is this agreement posted in the companies house? I’d be interested to see if he manages to keep any sort of agreement in place.

Unless I'm mistaken, Ashley owns the majority of shares in SD so nothing can pass without his approval.

It’s the board of RSM they’re talking about, nothing to do with Ashley/SD beyond the fact they were recently appointed as SD auditors.

Anyone think he’ll stay in football after this?

No....I think he hates football....it’s just another irritant to him....all that concerns him is his SD

Agree, I think he's done with football personally. He's done well out of it, but he's shown no inclination to buy lower profile clubs within his budget. Can't see the fat cunt buying Sunderland after having owned Newcastle. Just too much of a climbdown even for him. He'd be a public laughing stock.

stupid thing is his 13 years have proven that it's a viable strategy to market his shite shops but he's so intent on fucking things up through his own erratic decision making that owning us has been 10x the headache it ever should have been

go and buy a club with a decent fanbase for up to £50m of the £300m he stands to make, appoint people who can run an actual football club and give them an annual budget to work within...leave them completely the fuck alone after plastering SD ads all over the place

mackems would be a great buy for him imo, even in the champo, if he was willing to fund getting them up first

Here’s a question actually, so our club shop is run from Shirebrook, well they handle the distribution etc and take all the profits.

Is this agreement posted in the companies house? I’d be interested to see if he manages to keep any sort of agreement in place.

It's likely that in the short term the club's retail will continue to work through SD as it would take time to re-organise distribution channels. The share of resulting profits isn't something that would be publicly disclosed, although a lot of people got excited by the deal with Rangers where the club got 5% / 10% (can't remember which) of sales and that was spun as SD taking 90% of the money- ignoring that they'd also be bearing all the costs of sale.

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't add up to much, but as posters above comment- that's partly due to lack of ambition on the retail strategy.

Guest neesy111

We used to have the 2nd biggest retail operation behind Man Utd in the 90's, that was Freddie Fletcher's work.

stupid thing is his 13 years have proven that it's a viable strategy to market his s**** shops but he's so intent on f***ing things up through his own erratic decision making that owning us has been 10x the headache it ever should have been

This. That stuff in The Athletic article about his meeting with Rafa was mindblowing. He had a world class coach showing him how the club could wash it's face and compete, he acknowledge the numbers made sense, and he still conspired to fuck it up.

Can you imagine telling Man U fans, "You should've stuck with Moyes. You're a mid-table club now. Just accept it."?

"Hey Hull fans, he's your owner and if he wants to call you the tigers he can. Stop being so ungrateful."

Even.... "David Moyes did a grand job. I don't know what the mackems' problem is."

It just doesn't compute, does it? Instinct just tells you that they know their club better than you do and are right to have expectations and ambition. And yet every cnut going seems to understand our club better than we do.

No....I think he hates football....it’s just another irritant to him....all that concerns him is his SD

Agree, I think he's done with football personally. He's done well out of it, but he's shown no inclination to buy lower profile clubs within his budget. Can't see the fat cunt buying Sunderland after having owned Newcastle. Just too much of a climbdown even for him. He'd be a public laughing stock.

Didn't he get involved with Oldham ?

Sports Direct were their shirt sponsors for five years. Ended recently though.

Ah was it just a shirt sponsor was it? I thought he was involved deeper into the club somehow.

Ah was it just a shirt sponsor was it? I thought he was involved deeper into the club somehow.

I seem to remember that Boundary Park was renamed SportsDirect.com Park at some point but I'm not 100% sure on that. Think it was just SD publicity he used/uses Oldham for.

If he retains any connection with football it will probably be along those lines in the future. His fortune has been whittled down quite significantly, I doubt he is in the mood to take any more punts on football clubs. They don't always make you money, think he'll be less inclined to take risks with what he's got left. 

I'll say one thing in his defence.  He did say he would only sell to buyers who could provide the club with the financial backing to take us to the next level.  If this goes thru you cant argue that he has been true to his word on that score.

Like he actually gives a fuck.

Someone has stolen £1m worth of stock from his warehouse during the lock down.

I’m not positing they link though, it’s a s*n report.

Pretty easy to narrow down a list of suspects, you'd have to have a fucking sizeable haulage fleet available to tally up £1m of Donnay and Slazenger gear.

Anyone know what Mr Stobart was up to that night?