Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

@ All you Adam Smith types,

Is buying the failing brands of the high street good business strategy or is it mental?

Said it a few times, I don’t get Ashley’s recent strategy at all. Getting deeper and deeper into a failing industry and brands that will never recover. I guess it’s all he knows.

If I was him I’d cash out my £500m and retire, but I guess he has that business person drive that never seems to let up.

Guest chopey

If he buys them for £20 million there is, he has a bonk on for buying failing business and trying to turn them around.

If he bought the mackems and took them to the Prem they'd be loving him, but then he'll put the squeeze on and do his usual shit. Imagine us being a good side and battering an Ashley owned Sunderland twice a year man. Fucking great.

Guest chopey

I wouldn't be to sure about that, he has ran Newcastle for 13 years at a profit, if he could purchase Sunderland for a pittance he could turn it around, drinking a pint from a plastic glass surrounded by makems would put him on the same pedestal as the 73 team, that hatrick fella and Bally.

I wouldn't be to sure about that, he has ran Newcastle for 13 years at a profit, if he could purchase Sunderland for a pittance he could turn it around, drinking a pint from a plastic glass surrounded by makems would put him on the same pedestal as the 73 team, that hatrick fella and Bally.

Average ticket price last time they were in the prem was £11. There’s no money in Sunderland .

If he bought the mackems and took them to the Prem they'd be loving him, but then he'll put the squeeze on and do his usual shit. Imagine us being a good side and battering an Ashley owned Sunderland twice a year man. Fucking great.

The mackems would take 17th in the PL season in, season out as long they 'beat the mags'. Shocking excuse of a football club. Match made in heaven.

Average ticket price last time they were in the prem was £11. There’s no money in Sunderland .

I thought Nissan paid a King's ransom.

Does the fact he sold during a pandemic prove those of us who boycotted were right to do so, and if more of us had done so, we might have been able to get him to sell earlier? I think it does

Nar, it tells us that if you'd just chowed down on some bat soup back in 2009 we could have avoided the whole thing.

@ All you Adam Smith types,

Is buying the failing brands of the high street good business strategy or is it mental?

Said it a few times, I don’t get Ashley’s recent strategy at all. Getting deeper and deeper into a failing industry and brands that will never recover. I guess it’s all he knows.

If I was him I’d cash out my £500m and retire, but I guess he has that business person drive that never seems to let up.

Ego, decades of being branded the King of a Tat Emporium and a running joke who lucked into a winning lottery ticket have gotten to him.  Same as Newcastle where he refused to change because he was going to beat football, he wants to run his business "his way" and show all those snobby twats that he's actually a genius while making himself more upmarket.

What he needs to realise buying some failing high street brands doesn't undo that, it's the equivalent of sticking Steve Bruce in one of Pep's fancy suits and giving him a Gucci manpurse - it doesn't change what he is.

Guest chopey

I thought Nissan paid a King's ransom.

Believe it or not Sunderland fans dont just live in a 500 yard area around the stadium, they live and work in the same area as Newcastle fans. If Ashley gets them up the ground will be full again.

Anyone think he’ll stay in football after this?

I wouldn’t put it past him however I think not, his shitty brand is tainted after his fuck up over his attempts to keep his stores open.

The nation won’t forget .

Apparently there’s a meeting happening today for Sports Direct where there’s a motion to remove the whole board. There’s a story in the Telegraph but it’s behind a paywall.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he keeps hold of his shares just long enough for things to pick up a bit and then just gets out of there.