Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

People in the Chronicle comments section siding with Ashley over Corbyn ffs :lol:

When the IRA start knocking out wipe clean Lonsdale slip-ons opinions might change. Until then the English will forever love real men like Mike.

Seen HF wrote a piece in The Mag about where the club's money is going, the responses on Twitter are so :anguish: we're actually back to fans backing Ashley. Two in particular calling Chris a mackem and a wind up merchant, so I had to wade in but feel like I'm smashing my head against a brick wall. One has in his bio "Brucies Black & White army" and the other "Personally responsible for bringing down the Magpie Group" with his 64 followers.

I need to disengage for my own sanity. Far too many idiots coming out the woodwork slating Rafa and defending Ashley and Brewcie, we're never going to amount to anything, everything is bad forever.

Seen HF wrote a piece in The Mag about where the club's money is going, the responses on Twitter are so :anguish: we're actually back to fans backing Ashley. Two in particular calling Chris a mackem and a wind up merchant, so I had to wade in but feel like I'm smashing my head against a brick wall. One has in his bio "Brucies Black & White army" and the other "Personally responsible for bringing down the Magpie Group" with his 64 followers.

I need to disengage for my own sanity. Far too many idiots coming out the woodwork slating Rafa and defending Ashley and Brewcie, we're never going to amount to anything, everything is bad forever.

I said something similar in the Rafa thread...

Rafa Benitez has commented on Matty Longstaff’s debut in his latest blog.

http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/great-epl-day-and-work-progress/133/

”I was really pleased to see him scoring the winning goal for Newcastle; he was great when he was training with us”

"Surely it shouldn’t be difficult to see the benefits of investing in the Academy?”

That’s my Rafa :aww:

People on facebook/twitter responding to these quotes saying "mind your own business" and "wish he'd fuck off keep talking about us".

These are the sort of people we're dealing with at our club ffs. Siding with Ashley man. How do you even reason with these idiots?

Its utterly baffling like.

I said something similar in the Rafa thread...

Rafa Benitez has commented on Matty Longstaff’s debut in his latest blog.

http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/great-epl-day-and-work-progress/133/

”I was really pleased to see him scoring the winning goal for Newcastle; he was great when he was training with us”

"Surely it shouldn’t be difficult to see the benefits of investing in the Academy?”

That’s my Rafa :aww:

People on facebook/twitter responding to these quotes saying "mind your own business" and "wish he'd fuck off keep talking about us".

These are the sort of people we're dealing with at our club ffs. Siding with Ashley man. How do you even reason with these idiots?

Its utterly baffling like.

They hang on every word of proven liars whilst ignoring decorated legends such as Rafa and people with a modicum of understanding and research ability.

Bless - Martin Samuel sticking up for his wanker mate again;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7560219/MARTIN-SAMUEL-COLUMN-No-England-player-safe-Gareth-gambler.html

Why Corbyn got Ashley all wrong

If he was any good, Jeremy Corbyn would be where Jurgen Klopp is now. A whopping eight points clear, his followers feverishly imagining the triumph ahead.

In fact, Klopp has it a lot harder than Corbyn.He has to see off Manchester City, who are rather good. Corbyn, meanwhile, is up against politics’ equivalent of Manchester United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The Conservatives used to be winners, they regard the big prizes as theirs by right but they are a shambles. Senior players have quit, what is left is mediocre, and the leaders have failed to deliver a coherent, workable strategy on a problem entirely of their making.

Yet still Corbyn trails them in the polls. It’s a two-horse race, the other jockey is facing backwards, and he’s coming third.

That’s why he travels the country trying out populist tropes. He hasn’t managed to formulate an opinion on the most important political issue since appeasement, but he’ll head to Newcastle and preach to the converted

He’ll meet a pressure group called Ashley Out and then have a pop at Mike Ashley. Not exactly taking chances, is he? And he’s hardly smart enough to get that right. Corbyn’s attack on Ashley showed only the shallowest intellect or economic understanding.

He targeted the Newcastle owner’s point of greatest strength, his sole trump card. It would be like ignoring Brexit and meeting Boris Johnson on the battleground of classical philosophy.

After the usual entry-level cliches about football and community that could have been sketched on the back of a fag packet by the lowest-grade policy wonk, Corbyn accused Ashley of putting Newcastle’s financial security at risk. Actually, that’s the one thing he hasn’t done. Marginalised the fans, yes. Placed business interests first, certainly. Yet Newcastle are financially stable under Ashley’s stewardship. He runs a tight ship.

It had been going so well, too. Corbyn had singled out Ashley as a bad owner before an appreciative audience. So far, so tame. But when it became necessary to know something of his subject, to have bothered with detail beyond populist banalities, his argument fell apart.

Far from risking Newcastle’s financial security, the club under Ashley has made a profit before tax in seven of the last eight financial years.

In 2017-18 total staff costs as a percentage of turnover were 52 per cent when the Premier League average is 60 per cent. At the end of 2017-18 Newcastle had net assets of £8.3m and a £34m surplus in the bank. Non-interest bearing loans owed to Ashley totalled £144m, mostly dating from the beginning of his ownership.

Although £33m was repaid in 2018-19 — making £111m the current balance — those loans mean Newcastle have rarely relied on external interest bearing debt, due to Ashley’s cashflow. In other words, he might be unpopular, he might have Sports Direct branding everywhere, he might have lost good players and better managers, but Newcastle are financially secure.

Labour’s problem has always been convincing the public the budget is safe in their hands and by failing to understand simple facts — such as wage-to-turnover ratio being a key financial health indicator in the assessment of football clubs — Corbyn came across as something of an economic ignoramus. It’s probably why he isn’t where Klopp is now.

Love how we're seemingly the only club the media see as a business :lol:

Everyone else could go bankrupt if it meant the race for 4th place came down to the final weekend of the season.

Bless - Martin Samuel sticking up for his wanker mate again;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7560219/MARTIN-SAMUEL-COLUMN-No-England-player-safe-Gareth-gambler.html

Why Corbyn got Ashley all wrong

If he was any good, Jeremy Corbyn would be where Jurgen Klopp is now. A whopping eight points clear, his followers feverishly imagining the triumph ahead.

In fact, Klopp has it a lot harder than Corbyn.He has to see off Manchester City, who are rather good. Corbyn, meanwhile, is up against politics’ equivalent of Manchester United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The Conservatives used to be winners, they regard the big prizes as theirs by right but they are a shambles. Senior players have quit, what is left is mediocre, and the leaders have failed to deliver a coherent, workable strategy on a problem entirely of their making.

Yet still Corbyn trails them in the polls. It’s a two-horse race, the other jockey is facing backwards, and he’s coming third.

That’s why he travels the country trying out populist tropes. He hasn’t managed to formulate an opinion on the most important political issue since appeasement, but he’ll head to Newcastle and preach to the converted

He’ll meet a pressure group called Ashley Out and then have a pop at Mike Ashley. Not exactly taking chances, is he? And he’s hardly smart enough to get that right. Corbyn’s attack on Ashley showed only the shallowest intellect or economic understanding.

He targeted the Newcastle owner’s point of greatest strength, his sole trump card. It would be like ignoring Brexit and meeting Boris Johnson on the battleground of classical philosophy.

After the usual entry-level cliches about football and community that could have been sketched on the back of a fag packet by the lowest-grade policy wonk, Corbyn accused Ashley of putting Newcastle’s financial security at risk. Actually, that’s the one thing he hasn’t done. Marginalised the fans, yes. Placed business interests first, certainly. Yet Newcastle are financially stable under Ashley’s stewardship. He runs a tight ship.

It had been going so well, too. Corbyn had singled out Ashley as a bad owner before an appreciative audience. So far, so tame. But when it became necessary to know something of his subject, to have bothered with detail beyond populist banalities, his argument fell apart.

Far from risking Newcastle’s financial security, the club under Ashley has made a profit before tax in seven of the last eight financial years.

In 2017-18 total staff costs as a percentage of turnover were 52 per cent when the Premier League average is 60 per cent. At the end of 2017-18 Newcastle had net assets of £8.3m and a £34m surplus in the bank. Non-interest bearing loans owed to Ashley totalled £144m, mostly dating from the beginning of his ownership.

Although £33m was repaid in 2018-19 — making £111m the current balance — those loans mean Newcastle have rarely relied on external interest bearing debt, due to Ashley’s cashflow. In other words, he might be unpopular, he might have Sports Direct branding everywhere, he might have lost good players and better managers, but Newcastle are financially secure.

Labour’s problem has always been convincing the public the budget is safe in their hands and by failing to understand simple facts — such as wage-to-turnover ratio being a key financial health indicator in the assessment of football clubs — Corbyn came across as something of an economic ignoramus. It’s probably why he isn’t where Klopp is now.

I don't understand how being £111m in debt to a single individual is preferable to being in debt to a bank or any other legitimate lender. Ashley's had his foot on the club's throat ever since he arrived by virtue of that money and, of course, the existence of it is one of the principal reasons for why won't see the back of him until someone is prepared to come and pay way over the club's market price.

cannit trust politisions man. I work 70hours a week some weeks and none some weeks on a 0 hour contract for sportdirect and all they dee is tek me money and giv nowt back. Anyways im off doon the club shop to get me and the bairns season tickets and kits for next season. fuck ashley hes not stoppin me ganning.