Women's Football

Thoroughly deserved. As long as you accept it's not comparable to a top level men's game there's enough to keep it interesting for me.

:thup:

Best way I can describe it, is that its like watching a slower paced Championship game, where the quality isn't top tier, yet it's enjoyable, and if its on, there is enough to keep me interested.

More people coming in this thread to denigrate the quality of the football. Sigh.

I've really enjoyed the tournament, the quality is better then I expected, and there has been some class stuff, however its still not comparable to top tier mens football, just because the sport is still somewhat in its infancy in terms of investment and global appeal, it will only ever improve, and them two do.

Guest alijmitchell

More people coming in this thread to denigrate the quality of the football. Sigh.

I've really enjoyed the tournament, the quality is better then I expected, and there has been some class stuff, however its still not comparable to top tier mens football, just because the sport is still somewhat in its infancy in terms of investment and global appeal, it will only ever improve, and them two do.

I get that, but why does it always have to be compared to Men's football when it's fairly obvious that one is a sport that has billions invested in it across the globe in terms of coaching, nutrition, conditioning etc. from a very early age, and the other is a sport that has barely any of that? In that context the result of comparing it will almost always be to say that the women's game 'is not as good'. Just judge it on it's own merits and applaud where you see good technical ability, where you see humans trying really hard to do their best, to see women demonstrating that football isn't the sole domain of the boy/man. There is good quality and crap quality within this World Cup, and that is football the world over.

I watched Worksop Ladies for about 10 years but now I can't find anything about them. They got disbanded in the 00s. I'm fairly sure the FA cup semi final was held at the ground so in 20 years it has come a long way!

I get that, but why does it always have to be compared to Men's football when it's fairly obvious that one is a sport that has billions invested in it across the globe in terms of coaching, nutrition, conditioning etc. from a very early age, and the other is a sport that has barely any of that? In that context the result of comparing it will almost always be to say that the women's game 'is not as good'. Just judge it on it's own merits and applaud where you see good technical ability, where you see humans trying really hard to do their best, to see women demonstrating that football isn't the sole domain of the boy/man. There is good quality and crap quality within this World Cup, and that is football the world over.

I pretty much agree with all this tbh. However It's human nature to compare the two as we are used to watching mens football week in week out for years, so naturally you'll compare it to what you know, i'm guilty of it, we need to distinguish the two like you said. Someone a few pages back compared it to the Mens and Womens game in Tennis, and I thinks thats a really good comparison.