Joelinton

Stifler

4 hours ago, McDog said:

I can understanding shifting one but both? That's insane.

But getting £50m each from Al-Insheara would really help with FFP.

6 hours ago, Guybrush said:

So, this looks like good news... what's the catch? Have both of his ACLs ruptured during negotiations? :lol:

Bruno had the nufc crest branded onto Joelintons chest when he was passed out after drinking.

On 08/04/2024 at 17:56, gbandit said:

Love him, and of all the players (apart from Pope) who’ve been out this season we’ve missed him most. Hope he celebrates the contract by booting a ball off his face in his first game back from injury 

Yeah he’s a titan for us, would be huge to lose him. 

18 hours ago, aussiemag said:

We need to move on Wilson, Miggy, Almiron and Targett. Sign a CB, a first choice LB, a first choice RW and a striker. Would ideally like another press resistant midfielder. 

That sums it up well really 👍 

On 10/04/2024 at 06:32, ExiledGeordie said:

That sums it up well really 👍 

I would only add that we probably need two CBs now. One “marquee” signing and one dependable as Botman Lascelles out long term.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I would only add that we probably need two CBs now. One “marquee” signing and one dependable as Botman Lascelles out long term.

One signing and a loan would do. What's Lenglet doing this summer?

On 09/04/2024 at 23:51, dave s said:

this is class news. he would cost a fortune to replace, not many that boss the midfield like joelinton available 

I think this is the most important reason to keeping him for next couple of seasons at least. We can't replace him and get a couple of new CBs and a new RW and another ST and a LB.

Getting someone who does what he does would cost us a fuck load and we need to focus on improving other areas far more desperately. 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

I think this is the most important reason to keeping him for next couple of seasons at least. We can't replace him and get a couple of new CBs and a new RW and another ST and a LB.

Getting someone who does what he does would cost us a fuck load and we need to focus on improving other areas far more desperately. 

We aren’t signing a LB man [emoji38]

Even in that training game we had against the mackems in the cup you could tell the difference Joelintion makes,  we cruised along in first gear until he went off injured, would likely have been 4 or 5 if he had stayed on. Once he went off we had to up it to second gear and they started to get forward a bit more, you could tell the midfield just wasn't the same and that was against a midtable championship club.

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

We aren’t signing a LB man [emoji38]

Why wouldn't we? Burn is a centre-back where we have a shortage now, Targett will likely be sold?

Edited by Optimistic Nut

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Why wouldn't we? Burn is a centre-back where we have a shortage now, Targett will likely be sold?

Will Targett likely be sold? Is it not pretty much the worst time possible to sell him?

He's arguably our 4th choice left back and he's rumoured to be on £100k p/w. I'd say they'll be happy to get him off the books and give the likes of Alex Murphy the chance to step up.

50 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Because we have three LBs (Burn will 100% play LB next season with new CBs coming in) and I don't think there's any guarantee Targett is sold either.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Becuase in theory across both full backs, we’ve got 4 in Krafth/Hall/Tino/Trippier, latter two can play LB if needed.

Basically got numbers, so unless a legit top class LB is available for a deal that can’t be passed on, it’s not needed. Would also need to move one of those 4 on.

Edited by Sibierski

4 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Becuase in theory across both full backs, we’ve got 4 in Krafth/Hall/Tino/Trippier, latter two can play LB if needed.

Basically got numbers, so unless a legit top class LB is available for a deal that can’t be passed on, it’s not needed. Would also need to move one of those 4 on.

I think Trippier might go and it wouldn’t surprise me if Targett moved for more game time. That said if it’s true and he’s on 100k (find that hard to believe) then he will be hard to shift. LB is currently a weak area though. This summer will be very interesting to see what happens in all sorts of positions. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think Trippier might go and it wouldn’t surprise me if Targett moved for more game time. That said if it’s true and he’s on 100k (find that hard to believe) then he will be hard to shift. LB is currently a weak area though. This summer will be very interesting to see what happens in all sorts of positions. 

Hes on 600k a week

I think Joelinton is an unusual player. He’s attacking midfielder. He does next to nothing in the middle 3rd of the pitch. He doesn’t do passes and the majority of his tackles are actually him showing the desire and get back and help out in our defensive 3rd. 
He does get involved in our attacks though. Running with the ball (although he does lose it a fair bit) and receiving passes in dangerous attacking positions.

He’s also very low on the assists numbers. 

So when people say we have more control over the midfield with him in there it’s not because he makes tackles there, because he doesn’t and it’s not because he’s spraying the ball around from there either.  But he definitely does bring a level of combativeness and intimidation that we clearly miss. 

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

I think Joelinton is an unusual player. He’s attacking midfielder. He does next to nothing in the middle 3rd of the pitch. He doesn’t do passes and the majority of his tackles are actually him showing the desire and get back and help out in our defensive 3rd. 
He does get involved in our attacks though. Running with the ball (although he does lose it a fair bit) and receiving passes in dangerous attacking positions.

So when people say we have more control over the midfield with him in there it’s not because he makes tackles there, because he doesn’t and it’s not because he’s spraying the ball around from there either.  But he definitely does bring a level of combativeness and intimidation that we clearly miss. 

My friend, please. Joelinton makes everything better. 

29 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Still can’t believe this is the same Joelinton we signed as, and who was absolutely atrocious as, a striker :lol: 

Ironically started OK, unless I'm misremembering how early that spurs goal was. Was a highlight for a long time mind ha

11 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Not sure I agree with this.

He presses really well and he intercepts a lot of balls. He forces the opposition to play backwards or sideways and can win it either in the tackle or interceptions. He's a real presence and a force. And in the middle third he can just run and run with the ball. That's how he (and Willock) progress with the ball... just run with it.

I know the opposition was weak but the Sunderland game sums up Joelinton's strengths. When he was on they just couldn't build anything meaningful in midfield. Every contested loose ball was his, the Sunderland midfield could never do what they wanted to do when he was around. And when he got on the ball he drove us forward with his running.

As soon as he want off. Sunderland started finding pockets to play. They had that bit more time on the ball and we were that bit poorer on the transition.

He's a big part of the type of side Howe wants to build IMO. Top teams might be able to out football us but with Tonali-Bruno-Joelinton-Gordon-Miggy you can't outrun, out strength or out battle us. We'll beat a number of teams through sheer midfield physicality.

We need to get more of that physicality in defence.

Edited by The College Dropout