Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Hazard never rushed to run back. I believe it cost Chelsea a UCL semi-final once. Obviously, he was a superior player but he was never consistently branded as lazy in the press. He also had entire seasons completely off the boil - save for moments. And by all accounts not the best professional, turning up overweight more than once. He never got a terrible reputation until he went completely off the ball and even then people blame injuries. I have no doubt, if he was a black or North African Frenchman - his reputation in the media and the game would've been worse. Even if he was just French - he would have fallen victim to the French luxury and lazy player stereotype.

IMO the media is clearly racist. Lazy stereotypes, make for easy clicks. And the media influences fans.

One example is Sterling - for a good few years he got OTT stick for everyday footballer things until he pointed at the obvious double-standard. By all metrics, Sterling is a decent lad and a solid professional but previously the media would try to make you think otherwise.

It's also reflective in management. I don't think black players who end up in as much trouble as the likes of Bowyer, Woodgate or Barton would have gotten the opportunities they have. In general, it's easier for white English players to have good reputations or forgiveness arcs. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

One example is Sterling - for a good few years he got OTT stick for everyday footballer things until he pointed at the obvious double-standard. By all metrics, Sterling is a decent lad and a solid professional but previously the media would try to make you think otherwise.

Agree with all your post, but especially the Sterling example. Remember just how blatant it was when he had the 'gall' to buy his mum a nice house. 

16 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Not sure I'd wish that on my worst enemy, let alone a footballer I love! Maybe West Ham if it has to be a PL team. Would love to see him go tear up Serie A or La Liga. 

Thankfully I don't think he's a David Moyes type of player, I would hate to see him end up at West Ham. He's still a fabulous player, just not the right fit for a Howe team, due the the high energy press we deploy over 90mins.

18 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Agree with all your post, but especially the Sterling example. Remember just how blatant it was when he had the 'gall' to buy his mum a nice house. 

Aye and that will impact how he's thought of by genuine football fans. How could it not? So if he gets in some bother in Mykonos, the ground work for the "bad character" has already been laid.

Nah it was definitely him posting in a group chat.

Said no problem with Howe, problem with club. Club stopped him going to the World Cup. Doesnt want to leave but has two offers. If the club apologise, stop lying and give him what he deserves he'll stay. 

He's clearly not happy and he'll be off sooner rather than later imo. 

The tweet has been taken down for violating Twitter rules. 

Quick Google search using zero technical terms just "long beep dialtone" says the number may be busy? Which I guess would be right if his number has been leaked. No idea though.

Just now, Ste said:

The tweet has been taken down for violating Twitter rules. 

Quick Google search using zero technical terms just "long beep dialtone" says the number may be busy? Which I guess would be right if his number has been leaked. No idea though.

Did it sound like this?

Really hope Howe can get the best out of him - hes a very good player. Maybe he just needs a bit more 'nurturing' and an arm round the shoulder more often to feel special, i dont know.

That said the moment that ANY player no longer buys into Howes methods or is unhappy they can fuck right off, whether thats ASM, Bruno, Botman or whoever.

9 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Nah it was definitely him posting in a group chat.

Said no problem with Howe, problem with club. Club stopped him going to the World Cup. Doesnt want to leave but has two offers. If the club apologise, stop lying and give him what he deserves he'll stay. 

He's clearly not happy and he'll be off sooner rather than later imo. 

How do you know it was definitely him?

I can't buy for a second he was anywhere close to getting in the France squad tbh. He's never even been suggested for a call up. There were players who have been involved in recent squads (IE Diaby) who didn't get called up.

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

How do you know it was definitely him?

I can't buy for a second he was anywhere close to getting in the France squad tbh. He's never even been suggested for a call up. There were players who have been involved in recent squads (IE Diaby) who didn't get called up.

I dont, but I reckon from those screenshots its him. 

I dont think he was near the France squad either but he might well have fancied his chances of making squad prior to the World Cup, Kolo Muani was in there. Might feel the club have hindered that. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

It could that the French FA reached out to our medical team for an update on him (the same the English FA were talking to us about Wilson) and he feels like what we've said has some sort of impact on him going maybe? But even so, that injury kept him out pretty much till the world cup break. He played in that league cup V Palace, but was pretty quiet.