Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

More believable than the ITKs. Pretty much everyone in the North East is either ill or knows someone loaded with flu. Can’t ever remember a time where everyone was so poorly. We need quarantining 

Just now, St1pe said:

More believable than the ITKs. Pretty much everyone in the North East is either ill or knows someone loaded with flu. Can’t ever remember a time where everyone was so poorly. We need quarantining 

Yeah. It took me a month to get over it, and my partner even longer. 

1 minute ago, madras said:

It's disruptive to say I'm good enough it's my team mates fault I don't get the numbers. 

I don’t see how. I imagine Chris Wood is long since aware he’s no world beater. It’s true for every player that their stats would improve if paired with better team mates. Fact is ASM at that point in time was one of our better players (probably still is on natural ability) and he had every right to be confident in his own ability to make the grade of playing for his NT.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

I don’t see how. I imagine Chris Wood is long since aware he’s no world beater. It’s true for every player that their stats would improve if paired with better team mates. Fact is ASM at that point in time was one of our better players (probably still is on natural ability) and he had every right to be confident in his own ability to make the grade of playing for his NT.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Yes Wood will know he's no Haaland. But I don't hear Wood saying 'hey Maxi if you were De Bruyne I'd get better service" in the press. 

35 minutes ago, St1pe said:

It’s impossible to speculate without context but if he has been left out because of a rift it’s just thoroughly disappointing. Unplayable on his day but struggled to adapt at times. Given we’re pushing for Europe he could be essential to us.

If it results in him moving I don’t think there’s many teams that would pay the money we could have got for him. 

His was always overinflated in our fans eyes taking into consideration his lack of end product a lot of the time and his injury record.

Quite a lot of smoke around this tbh, really hope it's a mix-up. I've felt for a while he'll be gone in the summer anyway but it would be a bit of a blow in the second half of the season.

I'm not in the North East but am coming off Covid, so am well ready to believe stories about others being ill.

Dubravka has been welcomed back and thrown him straight back in the team despite half the fanbase writing him off as being a petulant wanker and/or afraid of competition. This suggests Howe and his staff are more pragmatic than we fans are.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Yes Wood will know he's no Haaland. But I don't hear Wood saying 'hey Maxi if you were De Bruyne I'd get better service" in the press. 

True, but then Wood is a boring as fuck Kiwi lump up front whereas Saint Maximin is a flegmatic and energetic French winger. Horses for courses. We’ve had our fair share of flair players and as long as they perform you’d normally allow them some level of indulgence. Specifically I don’t remember that quote leading to a ruptured changing room. In fact, it’s been more tight knit then ever recently, so no idea where you’ve taken the notion from that players have taken objection to it..?

Just now, mikejaxer said:

Baffles me people saying he's not a team player. Have we not been watching the recent games where he's been subbed on?

Watched them all. Looks like he's trying, but with no much idea of what he's actually doing. It's alien, and unnatural to him, and tbh it looks like he doesn't really understand it himself.

Granted, he's trying more.

4 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

Baffles me people saying he's not a team player. Have we not been watching the recent games where he's been subbed on?

I think he has to try really, really hard to play the correct way.  And even then, he breaks down in phases, losing concentration and positional discipline.  

Think I'm revelling a bit in this, which will piss people off.  I've said for a long time that we could be a better side without him.  Obviously, it has taken a Howe revelation and £200m worth of players, but I think we are definitely at the point where him not being available is not an issue.  Under Bruce, yeah, we needed his bit of magic. 

And yes, he absolutely has the ability to take teams apart - like the Man City game - but he is nowhere near consistent enough.

If he was called Jimmy Jones and was a ginger bald lad from Deckham, there would be no fan fair. Not sure what he's done other than a couple of games in his last 30 to warrant such a status.

If he's kicked off and being a diva then best for all he moves on. If he pulls his bandages up and gets on with it and wins his ballon d'or then let's keep him. He's becoming a side show to the real event - the team.

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

I think he has to try really, really hard to play the correct way.  And even then, he breaks down in phases, losing concentration and positional discipline.  

Think I'm revelling a bit in this, which will piss people off.  I've said for a long time that we could be a better side without him.  Obviously, it has taken a Howe revelation and £200m worth of players, but I think we are definitely at the point where him not being available is not an issue.  Under Bruce, yeah, we needed his bit of magic. 

And yes, he absolutely has the ability to take teams apart - like the Man City game - but he is nowhere near consistent enough.

I think he just has no chemistry at all with Wood. I still want to see him with Isak and reformed Miggy up front. 

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

True, but then Wood is a boring as fuck Kiwi lump up front whereas Saint Maximin is a flegmatic and energetic French winger. Horses for courses. We’ve had our fair share of flair players and as long as they perform you’d normally allow them some level of indulgence. Specifically I don’t remember that quote leading to a ruptured changing room. In fact, it’s been more tight knit then ever recently, so no idea where you’ve taken the notion from that players have taken objection to it..?

Issues with him parking at the training ground, unwilling to press correctly, slagging off team mates, looking better than his end product deserves. It builds a picture which builds with the tattle tale whispers that get passed round the locale which are often surprisingly on the button.

I’m hoping he is ‘ill’, because we don’t want a player falling out with the management or vice versa, but I can see us looking to sell him in the summer or if we got a big bid in this January. He’s injury prone, not as reliable when he’s on the pitch with his numbers as Wilson is who is more injury prone and he seems very selfish on and off the pitch and I know for a fact Howe has instructed him to focus hard on his training and game and not other things and has doubts that he’s pulling his weight in training like he should (probably a by product if the Bruce era). But I doubt Howe would hold a grudge unless a player basically was being a complete cunt.