Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

3 minutes ago, hakka said:

Many things could happen, so what?

Lets just ignore that Maxi gets injured a lot, and whenever he does think about how much he could've done if he wasn't injured.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, thomas said:

it helps a little bit but, if spread over 2 or 3 more players, it really only covers a year or so's worth of amortization, no? the rest of it will still need to be made up somehow. we still need massive, massive improvements on the commercial side to continue growing.

Yep, 100%. But without selling ASM we won't sign anyone else this window (according to the hints made by Howe). Some people choose not to believe it, but it's up to them.

Just now, Erikse said:

Lets just ignore that Maxi gets injured a lot, and whenever he does think about how much he could've done if he was never injured. That would help us a lot.

So you focus on one season of 12 starts, ignore all the ones before where its higher. Got ya.

If he goes for say 40 million. And we bring in Barnes for 38 million that will be spread over five years you'd think. So that'll be 8 million a year roughly. So we will still have 30 odd million to play with. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Yep, 100%. But without selling ASM we won't sign anyone else this window (according to the hints made by Howe). Some people choose not to believe it, but it's up to them.

Absolutely. I believe in our FFP constraints and have never opposed the sale.

I was just thinking the "we can sell ASM to buy 3 more players because of bookkeeping wizardry" lines usually neglected the need to make up the rest of those transfer fees at some point anyway. If it helps bring Barnes+1 more in I'd be happy. If the 35m is spread across 4 players I think things get tight/scarier next season without some Eales & co magic.

4 minutes ago, hakka said:

So you focus on one season of 12 starts, ignore all the ones before where its higher. Got ya.

You could argue that it’s no surprise his worst injury season was due to the new style of play under Howe and that Maxi isn’t capable of it physically. Obviously we will never know now, but I’d have guessed his injuries would have kept occurring given the intensity in which he would be asked to play.

34 minutes ago, greydos said:

Judging the value of footballers by their Instagram posts? This world is crazy. What if you found out Ginola used to collect stamps or was into carving poetry into wood? Would that’ve turned you off him anarl?

Dont think he was judging the value of him as a footballer, just expressing probably the widely held view that posting that sort of thing on instagram is not a great reflection of character. Put me off him a bit too, which is also in my view irrelevant to my perspective on him as a footballer. It does however speak of a self-centredness which is the opposite personality required for a team collective. So in a away it is actually relevant to his employment at the club and i bet if you asked an expert leader of people like Eddie Howe, he would agree. 

I also think its quite likely that the idea of him leaving the club was floated at the time of those posts, which makes sense. Eddie will have been watching his reaction. Was he going to roll his sleeves up and fight for the cause, knuckle down in his fitness and tactical training? Or make excuses and make it all about him? I cant know if thats true but i reckon it is. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

You could argue that it’s no surprise his worst injury season was due to the new style of play under Howe and that Maxi isn’t capable of it physically. Obviously we will never know now, but I’d have guessed his injuries would have kept occurring given the intensity in which he would be asked to play.

He was busting a gut single handidly trying to win us games under Bruce. I'd wager he was more likely to suffer injuries under that regime for over reliance and terrible conditioning and sports science during that era over assuming his fitness injuries last season was due to Howe's pressing demanda. Just seems to me people will use anything to put ASM down, justified or not.

24 minutes ago, hakka said:

He was busting a gut single handidly trying to win us games under Bruce. I'd wager he was more likely to suffer injuries under that regime for over reliance and terrible conditioning and sports science during that era over assuming his fitness injuries last season was due to Howe's pressing demanda. Just seems to me people will use anything to put ASM down, justified or not.

Have to disagree, the fitness and physicality needed to play under Howe is light years ahead of under Bruce. That without even mentioning the training we do under Howe in comparison to the 2/3 days a week “training” we used to do under Bruce.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Have to disagree, the fitness and physicality needed to play under Howe is light years ahead of under Bruce. That without even mentioning the training we do under Howe in comparison to the 2/3 days a week “training” we used to do under Bruce.

I just give up. You've made your mind ASM is at fault no matter what.

2 minutes ago, hakka said:

I just give up. You've made your mind ASM is at fault no matter what.

Give up with what ? I’ve not said I want him gone ever ? just making a point about his fitness last season.

1 minute ago, RS said:

A few people on here would have exploded when we sold Andy Cole.  ASM is a nice to have but not a big hitter in our ongoing journey. 

The whole region basically stopped when we sold Andy Cole :lol:

Not sure it’s the best comparison. 

1 hour ago, Adam P said:

Dont think he was judging the value of him as a footballer, just expressing probably the widely held view that posting that sort of thing on instagram is not a great reflection of character. Put me off him a bit too, which is also in my view irrelevant to my perspective on him as a footballer. It does however speak of a self-centredness which is the opposite personality required for a team collective. So in a away it is actually relevant to his employment at the club and i bet if you asked an expert leader of people like Eddie Howe, he would agree. 

I also think its quite likely that the idea of him leaving the club was floated at the time of those posts, which makes sense. Eddie will have been watching his reaction. Was he going to roll his sleeves up and fight for the cause, knuckle down in his fitness and tactical training? Or make excuses and make it all about him? I cant know if thats true but i reckon it is. 

How can it possibly be that a few self-centred social media posts means someone who kept our TEAM from being relegated 2 years in a row is selfish and so clearly not capable of being a team player?

Nothing Maxi posted online is better evidence of his ability and character to play in a team than his performances in the team. He’s always tried his best to do his job, whether making runs from deep to progress is up the pitch under Bruce, to keeping high and left, isolating his full back and trying to pass more under Howe.

Wonder if he really doesn't want to go and the club are pushing him out the door.

He's only 26, got to be fairly demoralising having to go to Saudi Arabia if you're just about to hit the prime of your career. He might well be one of those fabled footballers who already consider themselves rich enough and want to put their career and potential achievements in the game first?

8 minutes ago, greydos said:

How can it possibly be that a few self-centred social media posts means someone who kept our TEAM from being relegated 2 years in a row is selfish and so clearly not capable of being a team player?

Nothing Maxi posted online is better evidence of his ability and character to play in a team than his performances in the team. He’s always tried his best to do his job, whether making runs from deep to progress is up the pitch under Bruce, to keeping high and left, isolating his full back and trying to pass more under Howe.

You could argue he 'single-handedly' kept us up, that doesnt mean questioning his team ethic is wrong. The point was about character anyway, if a member of my team took to social media to air their complaints and 'feelings' about the organisation, i'd be raising an eyebrow. I think Eddie will have raised one of his too. 

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Wonder if he really doesn't want to go and the club are pushing him out the door.

He's only 26, got to be fairly demoralising having to go to Saudi Arabia if you're just about to hit the prime of your career. He might well be one of those fabled footballers who already consider themselves rich enough and want to put their career and potential achievements in the game first?

I think it’s something all parties are happy with, don’t think he is being pushed at all.

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

If he doesn't want to he doesn't go. Bumper pay day if he does and probably in decent company. It'll be interesting if now that a few big name stars going there if some younger players are targeted. Saint Max may be the first of a change of tack.

2 hours ago, hakka said:

Whats his best output in a season? In terms of g/a

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Season before last with 5 goals and 5 assists I think.

I bet Barnes will be able to beat that.. He already did several times by a mile.

Edited by Erikse

3 hours ago, hakka said:

So if a player has one season out of many where they drop as low as 12 starts, you have to assume that is going to keep happening and ignore seasons before where he started more? It's pure selective nonsense.

Its the same on your end. Season before that he only started 17. and Only 23 his first season. Which one is the outlier?

The way some posters talk about ASM is as if we are selling Shearer. I have nothing against ASM, and he is fine. But it is the ASM fan boys that actually make me want to sell him - maybe they will follow him to his new team. 

I am convinced if you put together a Venn diagram of ASM fans, Gordon haters, Miggy downers, and Barnes doubters. You'd end up with a perfect circle.