Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

There is some slight truth in Gordon and Barnes not being quite the same calibre or having as high a ceiling as the likes of Bruno, Botman, Isak and Tonali. However we are building a squad, that has to include a number of English players who are good enough to contribute significantly, as they are. We can't go out and buy the likes of Grealish, Rice or Kane with the premium prices they attract so the level below that is where we have aimed. Add more world beaters from abroad and we're laughing.

Maxi wasn't going to start for us, period. 

The elevation of his productivity is insane. Bloke spent more time on his arse than anything else. Canny dribbler but, then again, so am I on a night out. 

Get over yourselves ffs ?????

5 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

The elevation of his productivity is insane. Bloke spent more time on his arse than anything else. Canny dribbler but, then again, so am I on a night out. 

But he was mint against Man City last season man, and in one or two other games, that's all that matters. Consistency and availability for selection is an optional requirement for some on here.

Guest reefatoon
53 minutes ago, jigen said:

Sell ASM for 25 and buy Barnes for 38 is a joke. Newcastle has weakened the team and also has lost money. Absurd. 

We haven’t weakened the team though have we, as ASM couldn’t get in the team. We don’t even know how Barnes is going to turn out either. If he ends up total gash, then fair enough, but what if he bangs in 15 goals next season and is a revelation. Let it play out first before saying we are weakened.

14 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

In my 40 years of following NUFC he's one of the most overrated players I've encountered in a B&W shirt. The hysteria over this is absolutely mental. The gif below pretty much sums him up. Lots of fluff but not much end product.

Maxi.gif

I think there’s a place to love the player but also acknowledge that he could be frustrating for the majority of the time.

The frustration is because we know what he could do and we have a high expectation of him.. well more wanting him to have that for himself.

Ultimately I think he’s a very good footballer trapped in the body of a rugby league player. The work rate expected of him is going to continually lead to injuries, for that reason he’s not reliable.. an average season for him is 25 games.

In terms of end product we have most definitely upgraded but I’m still sad to see him go.

39 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Agree, he gave out more watches than assists. Showman, is skillful as hell but honesty did very little the last two seasons. It all makes sense.

I'd rather have both, but I'd choose Barnes overall if I had to.

22 minutes ago, Wandy said:

In my 40 years of following NUFC he's one of the most overrated players I've encountered in a B&W shirt. The hysteria over this is absolutely mental. The gif below pretty much sums him up. Lots of fluff but not much end product.

Maxi.gif

This is actually on a loop, I think he may have passed after this.

3 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Agree, he gave out more watches than assists. Showman, is skillful as hell but honesty did very little the last two seasons. It all makes sense.

I'd rather have both, but I'd choose Barnes overall if I had to.

For most of his NUFC career, he had the ball 50 yards ahead of his closest teammate so difficult to rack up assists. Personally, I still think he's part of the best 11 as the squad is now, but good luck! ASM and Mahrez in the same team will be fun for the locals.

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

That fee is disappointingly low. 

very disappointing, asm played under shite managers and players bare last season when he was injured, saved us a few times i;d of loved to see him in the cl

I absolutely love him as he's a great character and a joy to watch as a fan. 

But in all honesty the only game that really made me think wow was against Man City, other than that, there's not many performances that have stuck in my head. 

Also I was quite disappointed in how many times we've seen him come on against tired legs late on in a game.. And he didn't really do anything major, certainly not on a consistent level. 

Been a great servant to the club, deserved to play in the Champions League for us but he just doesn't fit in Howe's system unfortunately. 

Incredible dribbling ability though and always drived towards goal. Hope he tears it up in SA, and I'm sure he will. 

Edited by Scotty66

Maxi isn't the same player he was a couple seasons ago, he doesn't beat people as often, he's lost a little bit of his X-factor.

He's injury prone and isn't consistent.

We had his best years, time for him to go.

Farewell sweet prince, Helios shines upon ye.

2 hours ago, jigen said:

This is Howe.. Great coach, but you never must built a team on the market following the coach. Chelsea made the same mistake last summer with Tuchel.

Newcastle had a top market last summer, but then spend 45m for an average player as Gordon and now this nonsense. 

IMG_2908.gif.b85ee656956b2a18efcdc6f34a2d3891.gif

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Maxi, so last year, so Bruce. Viva the Howe revolution. You show ‘em Harvey lad!  :indi:

Could possibly sneak this into few more threads for max exposure. 

Of course you don’t build everything around the coach, if you’re going to change style completely with the next guy. But we were a disaster of a club from top to bottom, we’ve brought in a coach and executives above him to build a club philosophy. 

I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t get rid of Howe and bring in someone who plays completely differently. 

Not sure why I’m writing this since it’s just one transfer :lol: