Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

One thing that's really sad about this is that if he leaves to Saudi it means that he may not get to play in the Champions League ever.. Left the moment he got there with us, after what we went through together the last years. He was linked with Champions League clubs in some windows aswell. Who knows though, maybe he will go back to Europe at some point..

11 minutes ago, Erikse said:

One thing that's really sad about this is that if he leaves to Saudi it means that he may not get to play in the Champions League ever.. Left the moment he got there with us, after what we went through together the last years. He was linked with Champions League clubs in some windows aswell. Who knows though, maybe he will go back to Europe at some point..

I have to say I’m not seeing the sadness like.  He played intermittently well for us - and was hardly a key part in NUFC qualifying last season.  He had two years under Bruce where he was a relief to the mediocrity and boredom - he’s hardly a long term servant of the club.  This isn’t Rob Lee leaving after nearly a decade with us on the cusp of being good again.

Why can't people who liked him be allowed to be sad that he's leaving right before a CL campaign? Is that really a subject that needs some gatekeeping due to someone else being a better and longer serving servant of the club decades ago ffs? :lol:

Just now, Pata said:

Why can't people who liked him be allowed to be sad that he's leaving right before a CL campaign? Is that really a subject that needs some gatekeeping due to someone else being a better and longer serving servant of the club decades ago ffs? :lol:

I’m not gatekeeping - I’m also expressing an opinion.  And that opinion is that some of the stuff I’ve seen around ASM’s departure is just odd to me.  This isn’t a player who scored in every round of the cup being dropped for the final - it’s a player who scored one goal last season having his apparent destiny snatched away.  Fucking hell man, ASM isn’t even close to the best NUFC players I’ve seen who didn’t play CL football.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m not gatekeeping - I’m also expressing an opinion.  And that opinion is that some of the stuff I’ve seen around ASM’s departure is just odd to me.  This isn’t a player who scored in every round of the cup being dropped for the final - it’s a player who scored one goal last season having his apparent destiny snatched away.  Fucking hell man, ASM isn’t even close to the best NUFC players I’ve seen who didn’t play CL football.  

Just seems like completely unnecessary post and dig at someone. Someone says they are sad he's leaving before getting to play at CL and you come crashing in with 'I'm not sad, we've had better players'. Hope you don't end up accidentally in some random funerals. :lol:

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Just seems like completely unnecessary post and dig at someone. Someone says they are sad he's leaving before getting to play at CL and you come crashing in with 'I'm not sad, we've had better players'. Hope you don't end up accidentally in some random funerals. :lol:

It’s not a dig only at the poster - it’s the volume of this guff.

Do you see the man in my avatar?  He is the best player I’ve ever seen in a B&W shirt, and most of my vintage would likely say the same.  But I’ve never heard anyone get sad about the fact that Peter Beardsley left the same season we qualified for the CL the first time.

ASM had little role in us qualifying for the CL.  Some heed-shaking needs to take place.

It’s not quite the same as rocking up to a random funeral and saying ‘who’s the cunt in the coffin, then?’ :) 

I just don't see how Beardsley or Lee leaving decades ago have anything to do with this thread. ASM is gone, you don't have to visit this thread anymore if someone being sad about it gets on your tits.

Just now, Pata said:

I just don't see how Beardsley or Lee leaving decades ago have anything to do with this thread. ASM is gone, you don't have to visit this thread anymore if someone being sad about it gets on your tits.

And you don’t have to reply to me if my comments irritate you either.  For someone who complained about gatekeeping this looks an awful lot like gatekeeping.  ‘Don’t comment if I don’t agree’. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

People obviously like him, get over it, no one's forcing you to join in.

There is liking a player, there is not wanting him to leave, and then there is suggesting that there is an injustice to him not fulfilling his destiny of playing CL football for NUFC.  First two make perfect sense to me - the latter, not a bit of it.  He’s not being dragged from the club kicking and screaming after having the thing he’d worked so hard to achieve snatched away from him.  He’s off to earn stupendous money in a league where his output won’t be criticised.  Sounds like a dream ticket to me. 

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Bollocks tbh. If it wasn’t for Maxi pre takeover this club was fucked. He pretty much single handedly kept the team up when Joelinton couldn’t even hit the ball properly. Let’s not pigeon hole his whole Newcastle career in to the last season 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There is liking a player, there is not wanting him to leave, and then there is suggesting that there is an injustice to him not fulfilling his destiny of playing CL football for NUFC.  First two make perfect sense to me - the latter, not a bit of it.  He’s not being dragged from the club kicking and screaming after having the thing he’d worked so hard to achieve snatched away from him.  He’s off to earn stupendous money in a league where his output won’t be criticised.  Sounds like a dream ticket to me. 

Who cares man, people are allowed to like a player and be gutted they're leaving :lol:

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Who cares man, people are allowed to like a player and be gutted they're leaving :lol:

Honestly, I’m ok with that.  I’m just not keen on it being seen as some sort of cosmic injustice.  Nowt wrong with not wanting to see ASM leave because you enjoy watching him play. 

I am a bit upset about Maxi but mainly for him.  He'll make shit loads of money but he's probably already got enough. He'll be their best player though, which I think he will thrive on, I think that's what he wants. He was our best player and isn't far off that in terms of natural ability even now.

Edited by relámpago blanco

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You'd think we weren letting peak David Ginola go, the way some have reacted. [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

You'd think we weren letting peak David Ginola go, the way some have reacted. [emoji38]

It’s wild to me how people can’t understand why people are so attached to Maxi. Him and Wilson was practically the only good thing about the Bruce era. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

It’s wild to me how people can’t understand why people are so attached to Maxi. Him and Wilson was practically the only good thing about the Bruce era. 

I understand the sentimental aspect of it completely. The lad was a beacon of hope in a time of utter gloom, but as the team has got better he has got worse.

It's the wailing that we have made a huge mistake and have somehow let a top class player go that I have an issue with....not neceessarily on here, but on social media in general. But the simple truth is that he isnt good enough to make the next step up.

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

but as the team has got better he has got worse.

He posted his best per 90 numbers this season, only behind Wilson and Isak in the team.