Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

With Wood as a CF then players like ASM are not going to flourish. Let's be kind and say Wood is static, ASM is very mobile and needs movement to mesh with and that's very low down on the list of Wood's skillset. He also has to cope with the fact the opposition know they need to double up and can afford to due to the lack of other options in the final third. Snuff out the threat asap by swamping and surrounding him and you don't need to worry about Wood and Fraser/Almiron as they'll not get the ball. 

Improve the CF, get a much better RF/RW and an additional AM and he'll look much better. He needs options and movement and a bit more space. He's fucking infuriating but there's context, it's not all his fault but it often appears that it is. 

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

He's not hiding even if very little comes off atm. 

Stick with him and he'll turn it around. 

That's one thing he does well in fairness and always has. He doesn't hide from the ball or shy away from trying to create, no matter how bad a game he is having. Can see how he celebrates both goals that he has the passion for this club/ his teammates .

1 hour ago, midds said:

With Wood as a CF then players like ASM are not going to flourish. Let's be kind and say Wood is static, ASM is very mobile and needs movement to mesh with and that's very low down on the list of Wood's skillset. He also has to cope with the fact the opposition know they need to double up and can afford to due to the lack of other options in the final third. Snuff out the threat asap by swamping and surrounding him and you don't need to worry about Wood and Fraser/Almiron as they'll not get the ball. 

Improve the CF, get a much better RF/RW and an additional AM and he'll look much better. He needs options and movement and a bit more space. He's fucking infuriating but there's context, it's not all his fault but it often appears that it is. 

Spot on. A proper number 10 and RW will mean teams can’t load up on ASM. The point about Wood I agree with 100% too. You're not going to get much interchangeable running between ASM and Wood. 

I did think the decision to put him up front hindered us. It was a weird 10/15 mins of play where we really didn't have any foothold in the game and couldn't get any possesion

Gayle brought some pressing back to our frontline for the brief time he was one

Guest neesy111
Just now, joeyt said:

I did think the decision to put him up front hindered us. It was a weird 10/15 mins of play where we really didn't have any foothold in the game and couldn't get any possesion

Gayle brought some pressing back to our frontline for the brief time he was one

This is correct, it was like we were drifting in that period.

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

After we beat CP next weekend I’d love to see this experiment tbh. 

What could we possibly gain from that experiment and why would you love to see it? :lol:

Great to know he's a good influence round the place, drives high standards in training, helps the group etc but not arsed about him playing unless it's to give Wood a rest in the latter stages of a game or he's chucked on with 5-10 to go to try and nick a goal.

I'm sure Ritchie, Gayle, Dummett etc are doing great things for the atmosphere round the place but I'd still not want any of them near the pitch unless it was a late cameo.

Howe might well throw some of those sorts the odd run out at SJP once we're safe to thank them, hopefully they'll be fucked off after that for players of a similar temperament and personality but ones who can actually play football at this level.

Edited by Pilko

18 minutes ago, Pata said:

What could we possibly gain from that experiment and why would you love to see it? :lol:

We’d be safe and maybe Gayle knocks a few in before the end of the season? Not that hard to imagine really. :lol: 

Just now, cubaricho said:

We’d be safe and maybe Gayle knocks a few in before the end of the season? Not that hard to imagine really. :lol: 

And then we keep him to be possibly fifth-choice next season? I could understand it if he was young but Gayle is done here and only question is if Wood will be third or fourth choice CF next season.

There was a moment in the extended highlights just before Brunos sexy time when ASM drifted past 3 players and was looking for a pass but Gayle was sandwiched between 2 Leicester players. You can see him looking and lift his hands palms out as if to say 'wheres the pass?' but then he played the ball to Gayle anyway and it came to nowt.

Once ASM has more support in the final third he will look much better. Trouble is hes so quick to turn and run with the ball, his passing options are limited. As said before, should be better once Wilson comes back in.

One idea to stop him getting double or triple marked would be to give him a floating role. Let him pop all over the pitch. 
Don’t think it would hurt our defensive solidity much.

He would, of course be very careful if he wants to take players on much closer to our box (should he ever find himself there….).

9 minutes ago, Lotus said:

One idea to stop him getting double or triple marked would be to give him a floating role. Let him pop all over the pitch. 

He would, of course be very careful if he wants to take players on much closer to our box (should he ever find himself there….).

Can't give a player zero defensive responsibility.  Perhaps the most significant reason for our success under Howe is our defensive discipline.  And that's with ASM half arsing his duties. 

I suspect the kind of runs willock makes from the centre does benefit him as will draft defenders away from him. He needs to be more patient receiving the ball deeper to try and vary up what he is going to do. 

29 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Can't give a player zero defensive responsibility.  Perhaps the most significant reason for our success under Howe is our defensive discipline.  And that's with ASM half arsing his duties. 

He could press from wherever he is. He doesn’t press from the left anyway and barely offers Targett any support as it is.

Anyway, just an idea. 

42 minutes ago, Lotus said:

We just need more creative options and goals elsewhere on the pitch. Teams just load up on him because they know currently he’s our only creative outlet. A number 10 and right winger would make a huge difference. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

I suspect the kind of runs willock makes from the centre does benefit him as will draft defenders away from him. He needs to be more patient receiving the ball deeper to try and vary up what he is going to do. 

Yeah, he definitely benefits from having somebody running alongside. He's just so fast that if that player isn't already there then they're not getting there.

Get this season over, then give Howe the Summer to work with him.

Maxi is a much better player with Willock on the pitch. Willock offers forward runs and dynamism in the final third, which few of our other players offer. Play Joe and Maxi if you want the best out of Maxi.

Guest HTT II

St. Minimum again last night for me, and again with half hearted tracking back, stopping on the half-way line hands on hips blowing out of his arse while even Shelvey is frantically racing back into position. I think he could do with a spell on the bench (bring Willock in).