Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Link?

Any sale improves your FFP obviously, but you don't like for like replace a player (especially one not on really high wages) for the purposes of improving your finances.

And this one 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

I dunno, it seems fanciful that selling a player for £40m would allow you to go on and spend £120m?

Where are our resident accountants?

It's true but it isn't. 

First of all it presupposes that the fee will be £40m. If it ends up being €25m it hardly movies the needle. 

Secondly, there is no way we push the FFP to its limit this season anyway. If we do:

1. Next season will be very exciting

2. We are idiots 

I don't know why Newcastle stopped buying young talent abroad and started buying in the inflated English market. Is it because of Howe? Serious mistake to make the market by taking players the manager knows (you can see Chelsea last summer).

45 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I dunno, it seems fanciful that selling a player for £40m would allow you to go on and spend £120m?

I'm not an accountant, but as I understand it...

If we get £30 million ASM, minus the value of his remaining contract, we can immediately put say £26 million on the balance sheet.

If we sign a player for £40 million over five years, plus his contract value, that's circa £10 million on this year's books.

So in theory at least it allows you to sign two £40 million players with a good chunk towards another.

Edited by The Prophet

Just now, jigen said:

I don't know why Newcastle stopped buying young talent abroad and started buying in the inflated English market. Is it because of Howe? Serious mistake to make the market by taking players the manager knows (you can see Chelsea last summer).

The fee for Gordon seemed inflated at the time, but I don't think we've particularly overpaid for others.

1 minute ago, jigen said:

Eh? Tonali, Isak, Botman?

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Eh? Tonali, Isak, Botman?

Isak and Borman was last summer. A great window. Then in January, Gordon: why? And now this nonsense of sell ASM and buy Barnes. 

12 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

£120m is an exaggeration because the +£40m will only affect one FFP cycle (three years) whereas the hypothetical £120m-worth of signings will be amortised for longer than that (five years presumably).

If we use Isak as an example, £65m for 5 years = £13m/year on the books, plus £5.5m/year wages = £55.5m over three years, so that +£40m sale has pretty much covered that £65m transfer during that three year cycle.

If you also factor in that the sold players wage is now off the books - let's say he's on £50k/week so the £5.5m/year wages for Isak is only £2.9m/year net making the Isak deal £47.7m over the next three years.

Obviously that's just a really rough outline but that's basically how selling a player for £40m can essentially pay for a signing at £60m.

Edited by Keegans Export

2 minutes ago, jigen said:

Isak and Borman was last summer. A great window. Then in January, Gordon: why? And now this nonsense of sell ASM and buy Barnes. 

Gordon because he has a tonne of potential and can cover 3 positions.

Barnes because Maxi contributed next to nothing in our best season for 25 years, and Barnes is a far more productive player with a better fitness record.

It’s not rocket science.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

Just now, jigen said:

The only player that can replace (and improve) ASM in terms of skills, dribbling and creativity is Kvaratskhelia. Save the money and buy Kvara (non Barnes!). 

:lol: 

Sure, why not eh?

1 minute ago, jigen said:

The only player that can replace (and improve) ASM in terms of skills, dribbling and creativity is Kvaratskhelia. Save the money and buy Kvara (non Barnes!). 

I'd donate to this charity. 

What's Yannick Bolasie up to these days?

ASM - 111 apps - 12 goals & 18 assists

Yannick Bolasie - 119 apps - 11 goals & 17 assists

He could do some nice 'skills' as well.

12 minutes ago, jigen said:

It’s done solely to irritate you mate. As for stopping buying young talent from Europe what would you consider Tonali and Minteh to be exactly?

Do you think Howe is now controlling Ashworth etc? Or do you think maybe the club are somewhat reluctantly letting go of a saleable asset, who doesn’t fully fit in with the team's current system and has had fitness issues (You'd imagine the medical team may have an idea if this is likely to be recurrent or not, I can imagine it’s not them who have him strapped up like a mummy).

18 minutes ago, jigen said:

Great. They’re multiplying. 

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not an accountant, but as I understand it...

If we get £30 million ASM, minus the value of his remaining contract, we can immediately put say £26 million on the balance sheet.

If we sign a player for £40 million over five years, plus his contract value, that's circa £10 million this year's books.

So in theory at least it allows you to sign two £40 million players with a good chunk towards another.

So wouldn't this mean we are spending future windows money and revenue now? Surely only so many times you can do this until future revenue significantly lifts, or you make some huge player sales money.

12 minutes ago, jigen said:

The only player

3 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

It’s done solely to irritate you mate. As for stopping buying young talent from Europe what would you consider Tonali and Minteh to be exactly?

Do you think Howe is now controlling Ashworth etc? Or do you think maybe the club are somewhat reluctantly letting go of a saleable asset, who doesn’t fully fit in with the team's current system and has had fitness issues (You'd imagine the medical team may have an idea if this is likely to be recurrent or not, I can imagine it’s not them who have him strapped up like a mummy).

I honestly wouldn’t waste your energy mate. Some people just won’t hear it.