Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

People will cry arse about the transfer fee, but it’s pretty inconsequential. We’re not skint. This is basically an accounting manoeuvre by PIF to keep us within a set of arbitrary financial parameters.

Just now, christ said:

People will cry arse about the transfer fee, but it’s pretty inconsequential. We’re not skint. This is basically an accounting manoeuvre by PIF to keep us within a set of arbitrary financial parameters.

Yeah. I get the optics of it given other transfers but it obviously works for us or it wouldn't be happening. 

The basic figure of £25m is lower than I'd have thought, but that may be explained by his fitness issues. There may be quite hefty add-ons for appearances.

The wealth of our owners has led to speculation about a big spend, but every sober-minded calculation of our financial position that I've seen, has indicated that our actual budget is around the £75m mark. I don't think Eddie is bluffing to keep the fees down.

Trading in ASM seems sensible to me. He's the one player we have at the moment that is both expendable and who attracts interest. 

Whatever the fee is, its clearly enough for it to be worthwhile otherwise we wouldnt be doing it. Howe has said on numerous occasions he loves Maxi and doesnt want to lose him. We wouldnt be letting him go it if didnt fit the bigger picture, be amazed if its 1 for 1. 

Guest reefatoon
30 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Dont forget that the entertainment value he brings is worth a few bucks.

But the bandage bill knocks a few bucks back off.

2 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

Why we getting rid of a good player and keeping has beens who’ve been hanging around for far too long, doesn’t make sense to me. 

Because no one wants to buy the has beens

4 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

Why we getting rid of a good player and keeping has beens who’ve been hanging around for far too long, doesn’t make sense to me. 

Why are we keeping shit players on big wages that no one else wants you mean? 

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

Because nobody wants the has beens! Christ it isn’t rocket science. We would sell them first if anyone wanted them.

48 minutes ago, St1pe said:

If that fee is as low as reported - some saying £25m - then I don’t think it’s unfair to question whether PIF’s project with us is now lower in the pecking order than the Saudi league.

I don’t see it that way, just that they know any deal between parties both linked to Saudi will be scrutinised and complained about. In the same was as the shirt sponsor would have been.

The issue we have is that we need to sell to free us from FFP and ASM is an expendable asset, the more worrying thing is even at a low price nobody else seems to want him, so we are selling him to a Saudi team to get the money in so we can move forward.

Someone else said that the value of a player is what someone else is prepared to pay, if he was that undervalued then other clubs would be in for him and he would have other options than going to play out there.

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, kocunar said:

People in here would defend Maxi going out on a free transfer. "Oh atleast we have 1 less wage to pay, I'm sure they know what they are doing."

All made up nonsense in your head.

4 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

I trust the folks running the show 

Exactly this. Take stock of where we are and i think the owners/recruitment/coaching staff have enough credit in the bank to do whatever they please.

We've just finished 4th in the prem with Maxi playing an arguably minor part in that? We will be fine.

I'd guess the fee being reported as what we consider low at 25-30 but with a '+bonus' in there. That bonus will be so easily achievable its part of the fee but won't be disclosed.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Because nobody wants the has beens! Christ it isn’t rocket science. We would sell them first if anyone wanted them.

It doesn't even look like there's much clamour for ASM either, offloading at a shit price to Saudis, our lack of saleable assets is trying to spoil our early ascent to CL football.

Ah well, chapeau Allan.

Just now, Toon No9 said:

With all the transfer being made by saudi clubs this summer, I don't think anyone would rise an eyebrow if Al Ahly paid £40-50M for ASM.

Amongst us lot no, but the world and his dog would jump on PIF selling to PIF for £50m