Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Aye Robert easily at the minute. ASM is great to watch but his stats aren't the greatest given the downsides of his game. Hopefully with the likes of Trippier and Bruno he'll be able to go up a gear though.

@HaydnNUFCmade a great point about him pinning fullbacks back though which is a pretty hard thing to quantify in numbers.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

The ‘SHOOOOOT’ cunts at the match would have had a field day with Robert.

For every Spurs 2nd goal there were about 10 others that ended up in the Gallowgate or Leazes.

Still better than ASM, mind.

!00% Robert over ASM.

But I like ASM for all his failings and I think he will improve as better players around him come in.

I like his attitude and ambition. He wears his heart on his sleeve. His kind words for Steve Bruce was his opinion of his time with Bruce. We may all hate Bruce but he was maybe just being respectful of the man. He's gone on today saying nice things about Amanda (first name terms!!)...... I think he just wants to feel loved... and I think HBA was a bit like that....they need and react to the crowd.

Robert played in a much better team, pushing for champions league every year and at one point pushing for the title. Who can forget the victory against Arsenal to break the London hoodoo?

Not to also mention, he had the likes of Shearer to attack his crosses and the pace of Bellamy and Dyer to allow him more space and dominate most games. 

For me, hard to compare. Give it a few years when hopefully ASM is still here and playing in a much better team.

Edited by CPL

24 minutes ago, CPL said:

Robert played in a much better team, pushing for champions league every year and at one point pushing for the title.Who can forget the victory against Arsenal to break the London hoodoo?

Not to also mention, he had the likes of Shearer to attack his crosses and the pace of Bellamy and Dyer to allow him more space and dominate most games. 

For me, hard to compare. Give it a few years when hopefully ASM is still here and playing in a much better team.

We had 4 seasons very similar to the last 4 we’ve had before this season prior to him & Bellamy arriving.

Nobby easily, goals, end product, team player, classy on the ball and just an all-rounder. Vastly underrated in the PL era he played in, he’d be worth an absolute fortune today!

Robert over ASM too, although the latter is the better footballer, Robert was dynamic without having to even run at players. 

Just now, HTT II said:

Nobby easily, goals, end product, team player, classy on the ball and just an all-rounder. Vastly underrated in the PL era he played in, he’d be worth an absolute fortune today!

Robert over ASM too, although the latter is the better footballer, Robert was dynamic without having to even run at players. 

Aye, he could cross the ball from about 40 yards from the byline, but whip it so it was as though he was within 20 yards. Awesome technique.

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The questions at the minute should be nearer ASM or Glass tbh, not fucking Laurent Robert. :lol:

He’s way closer to Lua Lua than he is Robert, Ginola or HBA imo.

And he’s absolutely nowhere near Solano.

Edited by Sima

4 hours ago, elbee909 said:

Interestingly ASM's stats are quite similar to Robert's. I guess we've just chosen to forget the similarly frustrating stuff.

Eh?

ASM is frustrating because he plays himself into danger not because he doesn't score/create enough.

It's a good record for a traditional winger like Robert.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

4 hours ago, elbee909 said:

Interestingly ASM's stats are quite similar to Robert's. I guess we've just chosen to forget the similarly frustrating stuff.

Robert (and Bellamy) transformed us from a lower midtable side to Champions League and title contenders. 

5 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

All I said - and you can look it up yourself if you like - was that Robert and ASM's stats for goals/assists per game are similar. That's it.

Yeah but you quoted me and missed off the reason why ASM's stats aren't really great.

"ASM is great to watch but his stats aren't the greatest given the downsides of his game."

He's upped his rate this season and will hopefully hit double digits in goals. 1 in 7 though isn't really something we can carry going forwards unless he improves other aspects of his game, he'll just be replaced.

13 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

I don't get the ASM hate mind. 

Not sure if hate is the right word like but you get my drift. 

Definitely don't hate him myself, I like him. The comparisons with Robert, Solano and HBA are inviting ridicule that's maybe misread as a dislike for him though.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Definitely don't hate him myself, I like him. The comparisons with Robert, Solano and HBA are inviting ridicule that's maybe misread as a dislike for him though.

Aye. He's the kind of player I watch football for, I love him tbh. I just think realistically, unless he improves a lot, he's not going to be a superstar.

At the minute he's one of them "he wouldn't be at Newcastle if he did X and Y" but if things go to plan we'll be beyond all of that after the Summer transfer window 

You also have to consider how many goals someone like Robert would have got in a 4-3-3 system playing directly off Shearer. The goal he scored in the FA Cup at home to Arsenal being a glimpse. He sometimes played off the striker for PSG and scored 15 league goals the season before we signed him.

Edited by Optimistic Nut