Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Fenerbahce, on loan from Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

I'd sell him in the summer. One good game every 6 or 7 weeks, we should be aiming far higher.

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Would look to move him on in the summer.

Not the sort of character and attitude we want and is vastly over rated.

The recency bias with opinions on ASM on here is something else tbh. Not to say there aren't valid criticisms but we're a team full of plodders and he's the only one capable of anything electric, not hard to see why he got thrown on to get at them in last 20 minutes even if he's not really fit.

24 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That's the other thing, obviously. I don't think '100% fitness' exists for him. The brightest light burns twice as bright but half as long and he has burned very very brightly, Roy.

I've given up trying to work out if he's fully fit tbh. The strapping increases by the month, he winces and hobbles after every tackle, he plays 90 minutes when you don't expect him to and misses out when it appears he's had a full week of training :lol:

Yes, Saint Max can frustrate and lose the ball at crucial times but, when all is said and done, I love the guy. He is a joy to watch. He's mercurial and exudes charisma, intelligence and flair. He's special and I'm so happy he plays for us.

I dunno, I just feel like I'm kind of over him. 

I'm trying hard not to be reactionary, but I don't feel as fond of him as I used to. He rarely appears fit, doesn't work back much, and it feels like we play better without him. I don't feel like I've seen him truly grab a game by the goolies in quite a while.

He is our best player at the club, for now.

My only critique of him is being greedy and not passing when he should because its disrupted a lot of promising attacks lately - however keep in mind he has produced some of his best magic by being exactly like that. A do it all on your own kind of player. 

Teams have obviously picked up on his ability and the fact he tries to do it all on his own but I see no reason why his role can't be slightly adjusted or improved on/varied - with the right coaching.

Let's give him a full pre-season and actual season under Howe please before saying ridiculous stuff like "would sell him this summer". What for? Do we need the money or is he a toxic individual in the dressing room?

Edited by Amir_9

It’s not exactly “getting rid of”. The point is it’s kinda obvious that the team as a whole, and the player, are going towards different directions. If this continues, the team would be better off by playing someone else in the starting eleven and he will only become an impact sub. I guarantee you that he will ask for transfer at that time. Parting away in the summer looks more and more likely.

Why didn’t he put a foot on the ball with J7’s pass? It was so poor that he allowed himself to get robbed by Coleman. He looks to be sulking as well.

I think Howe is managing him poorly, we don’t know if he is fit or not. FFS man.

There are zero complaints about what he offers us going forward and creating. We look very ordinary going forward when he isn´t on the pitch.

But, It is possible that Eddie´s minimum requirement is that every player also runs the "hard yards" and carries out technical positioning and pressing. Which is fair enough.

Last night for his first ten minutes he was covering pass lines much better, holding a defensive position when needed and pressing a little harder than usual, then he started to slow down. 

My own opinion is that for team morale and "fairness", the players that are putting in 110% each game are those that are keeping their places (see Krafth; runs a load and tries hard, but is gash = and keeps his place...), not sure I wholly agree but that is what it looks like.

1 minute ago, buzza said:

There are zero complaints about what he offers us going forward and creating. We look very ordinary going forward when he isn´t on the pitch.

But, It is possible that Eddie´s minimum requirement is that every player also runs the "hard yards" and carries out technical positioning and pressing. Which is fair enough.

Last night for his first ten minutes he was covering pass lines much better, holding a defensive position when needed and pressing a little harder than usual, then he started to slow down. 

My own opinion is that for team morale and "fairness", the players that are putting in 110% each game are those that are keeping their places (see Krafth; runs a load and tries hard, but is gash = and keeps his place...), not sure I wholly agree but that is what it looks like.

The Liverpool and Man City models are that  everyone has to do their bit. I quite like the concept.

Krafth is solid defensively, Manq went missing last night at the key moment. Goal doesn’t happen with Krafth on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Outremont said:

The Liverpool and Man City models are that  everyone has to do their bit. I quite like the concept.

Krafth is solid defensively, Manq went missing last night at the key moment. Goal doesn’t happen with Krafth on the pitch. 

100%

On 15/01/2022 at 21:18, wormy said:

Infuriating aside from the moment of magic. The question is whether the moment of magic outweighs the infuriation.

Right now? Yeah, I think it does. And that's depressing as shit. :lol:

Keep thinking back to what I said after the Watford match and think it still rings true.

Right now he's still important to us. But if we stay up and kick on like everyone hopes, I can see him becoming expendable very quickly if he doesn't change his way of playing. It could be that with more capable players he begins to trust releasing the ball more often but I don't see it personally.

I'm certainly over the idea of trying to use him as an impact sub on his returns from injury, though. Start him or just don't bother.

Edited by wormy

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Get rid in the summer! Lazy! Unfit! :angry:

Oh no wait. I like Eddie Howe but we’d be absolutely slating Bruce if he was playing ASM whilst injured/unfit like this.

He still worries the oppostion. He was occupying 2, and sometimes 3 Everton players when he came on last night. Then of course it's his run and turn of speed that ends up getting their man a red card but we didn't capatalise on it.

The one thing with NUFC fans is they'll turn on the flair players very quickly. I've lost count of the amount of times I argued in the stands defending Robert and a large section were always critical of HBA as well. I expect ASM will become the next target.

Small sample size but my hypothesis is that Joelinton's game will suffer when ASM isn't in the team as well. It's weird but he thrives on covering a lot of ASM's defensive work which he doesn't need to do when Fraser's playing; and in an attacking sense he links up with ASM much better too.