Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Fenerbahce, on loan from Al-Ahli)

Disco

15 hours ago, TRon said:

How do these transfers to Saudi work? Is it normal just to play one season then move on somewhere else?

Probably not for most, but ASM was only signed in fairness to help us make other signings :D Taking up a slot at a top club, so move him on and get better named players in. 

Need Almiron / Wilson willing to do same. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, spudwiser said:

Was he any use?

He was unplayable in some games. Very few players in world football have that in their locker.

He’s underachieved throughout his career though.. and include coming here to Mike Ashley’s NUFC w/ Steve Bruce at the helm.

There’s a reason why the big clubs never wanted to sign him which is same reason why we upgraded that position first chance we got. It’s more down to consistency than work ethic or “being a team player”.

14 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He was unplayable in some games. Very few players in world football have that in their locker.

He’s underachieved throughout his career though.. and include coming here to Mike Ashley’s NUFC w/ Steve Bruce at the helm.

There’s a reason why the big clubs never wanted to sign him which is same reason why we upgraded that position first chance we got. It’s more down to consistency than work ethic or “being a team player”.

I was surprised to see Maxi's goals per game isn't that far off some of our other notable French wingers/attackers :

Hatem 72 apps 12 goals

Ginola : 58 apps 6 goals

Robert 129 apps 22 goals

Maxi : 111 apps 12 goals

Can't see the assists though. Statistics need context, and the context here is that often Maxi was the sole ball carrier and goal threat at times, he got so much more of the ball due to the lack of quality around him whereas the other players in this list had less share of the ball. Any of the other players in this list above would have probably scored many more goals if they were the only threat or ball carrier in their team - Hatem/Ba/Cisse, Ginola/Beardsley/Ferdinand/Lee, Robert/Shearer/Solano/Lee, Maxi/Perez/Rondon/Wilson

Puts Gordon in a good light :

Gordon : 51 apps 12 goals in a team with Bruno/Isak/Trippier as the main ball carriers/threats.

I hadn't realised how prolific Gordon was when compared to Hatem and Robert. He's actually beating Robert for goals per game, and has fantastic work-rate off the ball.

Maxi has good qualities but just isn't an elite player, and as you say @Dr Jinx, if he was he wouldn't be playing for Fenerbache. 

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Most managers don't want a maverick, that's the sad truth. They just want people who will follow the plan. 

Not Steve Bruce though.. because there was no plan!

3 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Sorry, I mean was he any use last night!

In fairness to Maxi I think he was getting there under Howe. But I don't think his body could physically stand up to what was being asked of him.

5 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

He will fall out with Jose before Christmas 

Drop to the bench / bit part player 

inevitable!!

I don't think it's always the player, Jose simply frustrates players, he's had a habit at many clubs.

5 hours ago, HawK said:

he got so much more of the ball due to the lack of quality around him whereas the other players in this list had less share of the ball. Any of the other players in this list above would have probably scored many more goals if they were the only threat or ball carrier in their team

Also works the other way. If he’s the only threat it’s easy to commit defenders to him. ASM was so often doubled or tripled when he had the ball, I really don’t see it as an advantage.

42 minutes ago, Pata said:

Also works the other way. If he’s the only threat it’s easy to commit defenders to him. ASM was so often doubled or tripled when he had the ball, I really don’t see it as an advantage.

Yep you're right. But my memory of ASM is a head-down player who often chose to run into those blind alleys rather than have a bit of nous and lay it off for a one two to exploit the space from the double-up

6 hours ago, HawK said:

Yep you're right. But my memory of ASM is a head-down player who often chose to run into those blind alleys rather than have a bit of nous and lay it off for a one two to exploit the space from the double-up

Ketsbaia with panache. 

13 hours ago, HawK said:

I was surprised to see Maxi's goals per game isn't that far off some of our other notable French wingers/attackers :

Hatem 72 apps 12 goals

Ginola : 58 apps 6 goals

Robert 129 apps 22 goals

Maxi : 111 apps 12 goals

Can't see the assists though. Statistics need context, and the context here is that often Maxi was the sole ball carrier and goal threat at times, he got so much more of the ball due to the lack of quality around him whereas the other players in this list had less share of the ball. Any of the other players in this list above would have probably scored many more goals if they were the only threat or ball carrier in their team - Hatem/Ba/Cisse, Ginola/Beardsley/Ferdinand/Lee, Robert/Shearer/Solano/Lee, Maxi/Perez/Rondon/Wilson

Puts Gordon in a good light :

Gordon : 51 apps 12 goals in a team with Bruno/Isak/Trippier as the main ball carriers/threats.

I hadn't realised how prolific Gordon was when compared to Hatem and Robert. He's actually beating Robert for goals per game, and has fantastic work-rate off the ball.

Maxi has good qualities but just isn't an elite player, and as you say @Dr Jinx, if he was he wouldn't be playing for Fenerbache. 

Robert and Ginolas jobs were to stick crosses on the heads of strikers in a 442 era so can’t be judged without looking at assists.

I don’t know the stats so maybe I’m wrong but my guess is ASMs assists are pretty poor in comparison.

15 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Robert and Ginolas jobs were to stick crosses on the heads of strikers in a 442 era so can’t be judged without looking at assists.

I don’t know the stats so maybe I’m wrong but my guess is ASMs assists are pretty poor in comparison.

Ginola had 16 in 76 appearances and ASM 21 in 124 appearances so not a massive difference. 

13 hours ago, HawK said:

Playing a bit of devils advocate here, but couldn't you also say that it should be easier to do well in a better team?