Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

It worries me how many people have said a fiver a match would have been fair enough but 15 quid is too expensive. It's more money on top of an already fairly obscene amount of money to the average person. Where's the goodwill for fans of the game who have by and large been through a shit time all year?

It has crossed my mind that maybe I'm being harsh/unrealistic because all clubs have lost a revenue stream in the form of gate receipts and will want to replace that. Then I remember the outrageous sums of money that have been thrown around by PL clubs in the last few months.

They had a choice then whether to restructure their finances a bit while we're in such unusual times but they've decided instead to carry on as normal and try to bleed yet more cash out of the fans to fill the financial void. 19 clubs to 1 voted for this and 19 clubs to 1 are so tone deaf it's unreal.

I said a few months ago that it was a no brainer for the PL to take learnings from lockdown and show 10 or so games a season on free to air TV once crowds are back in. The viewing figures have been and will be huge, it increases the reach of the league getting more people interested and is good PR that creates goodwill on both sides.

Instead we hear this spiteful waffle that the PL are increasingly disappointed they've had to give so much of their product away for free?! That just about sums it up. I thought we'd see the PL at least throw fans a bone as a result of this situation, yet they've become even more entrenched in their disgusting greed. So depressing.

I think £5 to view a product that wouldn’t have been available unless you were attending anyway is a fair price. People who would have been going would have been spending at least £30, £5 to watch a watered down version isn’t bad imo. £15 is taking the mick, though.

Guest neesy111

Interpolic[/member] make's valid points, instead of the PL clubs using this situation to get finances under control they've went out on another spending spree so none of them can plead any poverty at all.

I think £5 to view a product that wouldn’t have been available unless you were attending anyway is a fair price. People who would have been going would have been spending at least £30, £5 to watch a watered down version isn’t bad imo. £15 is taking the mick, though.

Nah, it's shite. Watching on tele is far more than a watered down experience. I'd pay a small fortune for a ticket to a music festival but I wouldn't pay to watch the show on tele, you're paying for the live experience, the day out.

For a company that hate their product being pirated as much as the Premier League do, they're incredibly gifted when it comes to pushing people towards it. It's so easy to find a stream nowadays that anyone paying £15 to watch Steve Bruce's Newcastle play wants throwing in a looney bin.

Guest neesy111

Where is the 15 quid going? To the clubs, tv company or both?

Mainly to the clubs, but TV companies need their costs covering etc.

Guest neesy111

Nah, it's shite. Watching on tele is far more than a watered down experience. I'd pay a small fortune for a ticket to a music festival but I wouldn't pay to watch the show on tele, you're paying for the live experience, the day out.

For a company that hate their product being pirated as much as the Premier League do, they're incredibly gifted when it comes to pushing people towards it. It's so easy to find a stream nowadays that anyone paying £15 to watch Steve Bruce's Newcastle play wants throwing in a looney bin.

This 100%.

The TV companies will have been absolutely raking it in over the last few months. Their costs will be more than covered.

But if you don’t normally go, you’d not be watching anyway. If you do normally go, you’re not paying for tickets. I’d have probably paid £5 a match, think they’ve priced themselves out saying £15. I’ll just watch the normal dodgy route if I’m that bothered.

Guest neesy111

The TV companies will have been absolutely raking it in over the last few months. Their costs will be more than covered.

I'm really not sure about that, advertising revenues and pub incomes has collapsed, the pub income is a decent amount as well for Sky.

The price is obviously a disgrace and once again shows contempt to fans.

And, at risk of being incendiary: bollocks to anyone who actually pays it. It's about time that the vast majority of fans realised that they actually have companies like the Premier League over a barrel. As rotten as stuff like this is, it should be seen as an opportunity.

I think if you're a Sky or BT subscriber already these should be included. Simple As.

But if you don’t normally go, you’d not be watching anyway. If you do normally go, you’re not paying for tickets. I’d have probably paid £5 a match, think they’ve priced themselves out saying £15. I’ll just watch the normal dodgy route if I’m that bothered.

They've been offering these games for free because of the pandemic, suddenly charging for them when nothing has changed is obviously going to cause ill will. In fact, all it'll do is cause Jeff to invite his mates around to watch the match on the sly to save them all paying £15.

Guest Cheesy Beans

I'm really not sure about that, advertising revenues and pub incomes has collapsed, the pub income is a decent amount as well for Sky.

Pubs will be tied into contracts and still liable to pay for them. Unless they want to default on them, risk never being able to have Sky again and still have to pay a fairly hefty cancellation fee depending on the length of the contract.

TV companies have been able to charge more for advertising revenue during the pandemic as they have been reaching larger audiences.

Completely agree with this. Greed rules the day as always though sadly.

Without getting any discussion about mugs etc how can the clubs/ TV companies justify a ST Holder paying for a ticket for a match they legally can’t attend and then think it’s acceptable to offer it on TV for £15.

You can’t suspend your ST payments and many will already pay for Sky and BT Sports. It’ll not happen but I hope nobody pays for it. Completely disgusting, I’d rather it wasn’t televised at all.