Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Both parties have known it could take this long from the beginning. Wouldn't start worrying unless we get to Thursday with nothing from the PL, at which point it's on the league to get this done. Surely they'd be opening themselves up to a lawsuit if they let this roll through an exclusivity period.

*my deep and dark down fear*

the PL take to basically near the end of exclusivity to green light it and it makes it for a frantic Closing. Feel like that happens all the time in transactions that involve approval from a brand/governing body etc. they always seem to take the longest fucking possible time to do anything and drag it out.

Guest reefatoon

Wouldn’t any exclusivity not cover the whole time of the premier league checks? Surely it wouldn’t run out while the checks are still going as that is out of the hands of the buyer and seller.

the PL take to basically near the end of exclusivity to green light it and it makes it for a frantic Closing. Feel like that happens all the time in transactions that involve approval from a brand/governing body etc. they always seem to take the longest fucking possible time to do anything and drag it out.

Aye - could see that all day long. My main fear also as it enables the fat lad to move the goalposts.

Wouldn’t any exclusivity not cover the whole time of the premier league checks? Surely it wouldn’t run out while the checks are still going as that is out of the hands of the buyer and seller.

It could. Both sides have probably agreed to a period of 4 weeks given they both know it never normally takes longer.

Guest reefatoon

You could see the premier league wanting to drag it out a little too. They know it’s going to pass, but after a bit of backlash and scrutiny, (Amnesty etc) they might want to look like they are really giving it a good thought. Gonna be last minute hey.

Both parties have known it could take this long from the beginning. Wouldn't start worrying unless we get to Thursday with nothing from the PL, at which point it's on the league to get this done. Surely they'd be opening themselves up to a lawsuit if they let this roll through an exclusivity period.

Hence why the ' next 7 days is important/vital' comment from Edwards which I agree with.

No exposure for the PL for as long as they are undertaking the test. It takes what it takes from their perspective.

Their legal exposure would come from turning the buyers down.

Good luck justifying that given the ease of the tests.

You could see the premier league wanting to drag it out a little too. They know it’s going to pass, but after a bit of backlash and scrutiny, (Amnesty etc) they might want to look like they are really giving it a good thought. Gonna be last minute hey.

Gut feel says yes and that it's vital they get it done before exclusivity expires imho.

Mike being a tough seller is likely saying: OK, it takes up to 4 weeks to get the PL tests completed. You have 5 weeks to get this deal closed, hence mid May exclusivity period.

It’s done man, crazy to think that anyone would piss away that deposit. PL approval was supposedly yesterday and only at that point would the buyers arrange to release the rest of the money.

If this doesn’t happen it’s not down to Ashley and all the noises from the buying side have been positive.

The one thing almost everyone agreed on was if Ashley starting losing money he would sell. That time is here, i mean can anyone see games taking place with full crowds, in fact can anyone really see how the season can actually restart. You can't even see next season starting at the moment.

He's losing money in all his businesses, just relax and wait it out.

Aye - could see that all day long. My main fear also as it enables the fat lad to move the goalposts.

You really think there’s any chance of Mike Ashley having the balls to move the goalposts against MBS? ?

Who sets the date for the end of exclusivity ?

probably a heavily negotiated deal point between buyer and seller

:thup:

You'd like to think that plenty of time would have been allowed and that the time frame would have been arrived at after plenty of consultation.

I wouldn't worry about the exclusivity period - an exclusivity period gives you a period of time to sign a deal without the seller dealing with someone else. That has already happened, the deal has already been signed. There's a conditional contract, and the only thing that can stop this happening is PL approval - not Ashley, not expiry of any exclusivity.

My thoughts exactly.

You really think there’s any chance of Mike Ashley having the balls to move the goalposts against MBS? ?

Yes. In this circumstance, with this profile, why not?

I wouldn't worry about the exclusivity period - an exclusivity period gives you a period of time to sign a deal without the seller dealing with someone else. That has already happened, the deal has already been signed. There's a conditional contract, and the only thing that can stop this happening is PL approval - not Ashley, not expiry of any exclusivity.

Incorrect.

Exclusivity enables the buyer to proceed for a given period, agreed between the parties, which forbids the seller from entering into discussions with any other parties (or progressing with previous talks from third parties who were interested).

After exclusivity expires there is no restriction for Ashley to go back to the wider market/previously interested parties who PCP pipped to the post.

Mike being a tough seller is likely saying: OK, it takes up to 4 weeks to get the PL tests completed. You have 5 weeks to get this deal closed, hence mid May exclusivity period.

Exactly my view.

'Ok, I'm taking £40m less than the asking price, in exchange for you not fucking about. You've got five weeks. Get it done.'

Incorrect.

Exclusivity enables the buyer to proceed for a given period, agreed between the parties, which forbids the seller from entering into discussions with any other parties (or progressing with previous talks from third parties who were interested).

After exclusivity expires there is no restriction for Ashley to go back to the wider market/previously interested parties who PCP pipped to the post.

It isn't incorrect. Your first para just repeats mine. The point you're missing is that they have already exchanged contracts, conditional on PL approval. If the original exclusivity expired tomorrow, it would make no difference. Buyer has a contract. As soon as PL approval comes through, they buy it.

If PL approval was refused, then all bets are off of course - they can proceed with whoever they like, because the contract they have signed can be terminated.

PL need to hurry the fuck up

I suspect they dont want to be seen to rushing this through. Bare in mind the backlash they will receive once they have completed the checks.

On the other hand, the checks may have been completed. Presumably the PL will want it kept quiet until the takeover is done, in order to deflect some of the scrutiny.

I honestly think this is a factor, was thinking the same myself this past week. It won't do the PL officials any harm to let the furore die down as much as possible and then slide it through once the hype is muted down a bit.