Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

To me they've come across as the organisation who hold all the cards and have identified an opportunity to have their cake and eat it. Saudi investment plus eradicating a host of piracy ills plus potentially prompting new bidding wars for TV rights? There's really no wonder they're taking forever when the potential prize is so great. They stand to win so much which is why I still think it'll go through in the end. Fan impatience and emotional torment is no deterrent, they'll still be there and investing regardless.

To me they've come across as the organisation who hold all the cards and have identified an opportunity to have their cake and eat it. Saudi investment plus eradicating a host of piracy ills plus potentially prompting new bidding wars for TV rights? There's really no wonder they're taking forever when the potential prize is so great. They stand to win so much which is why I still think it'll go through in the end. Fan impatience and emotional torment is no deterrent, they'll still be there and investing regardless.

100% this :thup:

:thup:

100% this :thup:

The card they don't have is Boris. That's why the buyers are still confident.

If this takeover were to fail I think it will cause a significant amount of concern for the owners of the larger clubs.

Club's like Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City are worth so much that there are very few people or organisations in the world who could afford to buy them, of those who could afford to buy them only a tiny number of them have morally and/or legally clean hands.  This means that to those who currently own a big club and who may wish to sell in the future, the failure of the PIF acquisition of NUFC due to the O&D test would represent a major threat to the value of their club because of how few organisations who could afford them could also pass the O&D test.

Imagine, for a moment, that tomorrow the Abu Dhabi United Group wanted to sell their ownership of Manchester City - who in the world could afford the $3billion to $5billion they would want?  Of those who might afford a $3billion price tag, how many of them could pass the legal and moral test apparently being applied to PIF (heck, could they themselves pass the test)?  This means that the value of MCFC becomes less than what the Abu Dhabi United Group may want/need, because if they were compelled to sell for any reason (e.g. a global financial crisis) they would have to sell to whomever could pass the test and not sell at the actual value of the club (the price of something is not just what that thing is worth but is also what someone is willing/able to pay for it).

The outcome of this PIF acquisition is huge and a failure of the sale could have massive ramifications for the league's other club owners.

If PIF tries to take over the clubs you mentioned, it takes days - not weeks or months - for the PL to sign off on it. We're just plucky ol' Newcastle. Fuck us.

About the Waugh quotes from the last page, one thing I'd say is that had there been some form of approval from the PL even informally the buyers wouldn't be telling anyone atm. Say for example the PL told them we'll approve/have approved but want to wait until the season is finished then that info would be getting released by anyone imo.

Not saying that's what's happening just that there will be a point in the approval process where the buyers, sellers & PL will all know something the journalists don't know if that that makes sense. Even if they're being told "still with PL" doesn't necessarily mean it is, 100%.

Ok, the saudis have banned bein sport in SA and there's no legal way to broadcast PL games in SA at the moment.

But what has that to do if a company from SA is fit to own a PL club? It's a total different question.

Is there a rule that says, if it's not allowed to broadcast PL in a country they can't own a PL team?

In my world you could own a team anyway.

Ok, the saudis have banned bein sport in SA and there's no legal way to broadcast PL games in SA at the moment.

But what has that to do if a company from SA is fit to own a PL club? It's a total different question.

Is there a rule that says, if it's not allowed to broadcast PL in a country they can't own a PL team?

It's not a company from SA it's SA.

It's a separate legal entity to the state AFAIK and thus not technically SA.

It's a separate legal entity to the state AFAIK and thus not technically SA.

Alreet [emoji38]

The PL themselves described PIF as a company in SA like.

And they know what their doing according to this thread [emoji38]

Assistant to the manager

If this takeover were to fail I think it will cause a significant amount of concern for the owners of the larger clubs.

Club's like Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City are worth so much that there are very few people or organisations in the world who could afford to buy them, of those who could afford to buy them only a tiny number of them have morally and/or legally clean hands.  This means that to those who currently own a big club and who may wish to sell in the future, the failure of the PIF acquisition of NUFC due to the O&D test would represent a major threat to the value of their club because of how few organisations who could afford them could also pass the O&D test.

Imagine, for a moment, that tomorrow the Abu Dhabi United Group wanted to sell their ownership of Manchester City - who in the world could afford the $3billion to $5billion they would want?  Of those who might afford a $3billion price tag, how many of them could pass the legal and moral test apparently being applied to PIF (heck, could they themselves pass the test)?  This means that the value of MCFC becomes less than what the Abu Dhabi United Group may want/need, because if they were compelled to sell for any reason (e.g. a global financial crisis) they would have to sell to whomever could pass the test and not sell at the actual value of the club (the price of something is not just what that thing is worth but is also what someone is willing/able to pay for it).

The outcome of this PIF acquisition is huge and a failure of the sale could have massive ramifications for the league's other club owners.

If PIF tries to take over the clubs you mentioned, it takes days - not weeks or months - for the PL to sign off on it. We're just plucky ol' Newcastle. Fuck us.

no it would take as long because the same issues are in play regarding the piracy. Its not a fucking conspiracy theory to keep newcastle down

whose chairman happens to be the crown prince of saudi arabia (and as far as I understand he's been making more and more decisions for the country the last few years) and its literally the public investment fund of saudi arabia how the hell can it not be considered an arm of the KSA goverment

And they know what their doing according to this thread [emoji38]

It's nowt to do with if they know what they're doing.

Its the strict legal position which presumably they were taking advice when they used that term.

whose chairman happens to be the crown prince of saudi arabia (and as far as I understand he's been making more and more decisions for the country the last few years) and its literally the public investment fund of saudi arabia how the hell can it not be considered an arm of the KSA goverment

I know and you know it's the state.

It doesn't necessarily follow that's the case legally.

I know and you know it's the state.

It doesn't necessarily follow that's the case legally.

I'm just baffled by the very idea, they get all their funding from the KSA government, their chairman is in line to be the next king and is already pretty influential at the very least, its sole purpose is to make investments on behalf of the KSA and its somehow not legally considered the state  :idiot2:

But what difference does it make if it's a company, the crown prince or the king himself!

Just because bein is banned in SA, they can't own a PL club?

Still a totaly different question.