Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest reefatoon

Also, the Premier league's reply to Amnesty. They wouldn't have bothered replying if it was all shite.

How is it utterly ridiculous? These things take months, that's when we're not balls deep into a global pandemic where the football season has had to be stopped. We wouldn't even be aware of it if it wasn't for some folk nosing around Companies House.

I don't know if it's the boredom of lockdown, but people's impatience is what's ridiculous here. I get that it's draining waiting for news, but we'll know one way or another in the coming weeks.

:clap:

It's the vaccuum that's killing people and causing them to amplify dozens of little fuck-alls into seismically important considerations.  None of us are entitled to know anything that's going on, not sure why people think we are or that they have the first idea how long this could be expected to take :)

Erm, maybe because Staveley told Caulkin to tell the fans that it would be complete in the next few days, back towards the end of April ffs  :lol:

No she never and Caulkin has never put a timeline on it.

:lol:

Why are you laughing?

You claimed something that was incorrect, I corrected you.

OK she put it out there that it "should be complete" in the next few days. Nearly 3 weeks ago.

The person who was incorrect was Staveley.

Unless it was her contact at the PL who was incorrect. Or her lawyer who was incorrect.

Why are you so convinced Staveley is acting in bad faith? Literally he only evidence supporting that position is Mike Ashley's "tyre-kicker" comment

I'm not convinced either way, I do feel theres a chance she's acting in bad faith though.

She's been on the scene nearly 3 years, in that time she's repeatedly told Caulkin she's going to be our new owner and all the plans she has for the club. She had a lovely curry with Mike during the first attempt, then he went on holiday and called her a time waster. If as she says she made him offers he'd indicated he'd accept, then surely there would be no way of trusting him again.

Over the last number of years we've seen various claims that the club is being sold, that all then miraculously disappear into thin air. This one seems to be further along granted, but once (10 times) bitten twice shy and all that. I'm just not convinced, and I don't think theres anything wrong with that position.

Can I ask why you are convinced she is genuine?

She’s paid £17m for a deposit and countless more millions in legal fee’s to get this far.

She will be having her finances and background checked by the Premier League.

She has signed over a claim for the rewards of her ongoing court case with Barclays to Ashley if she fails to pay.

She has the backing of one of the biggest investment portfolio’s in the world, alongside one of the UK’s richest families.

If she was pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes by not going through with it then it would be her own.

She stands to lose everything from finances to respect if this falls through.

Do you honestly think she has spent 3 years doing this for a laugh, or doing it for a favour to Ashley?

And the hits just keep on coming...

From what I can see of the article...

The takeover of Newcastle United by a Saudi Arabia-backed consortium has hit significant political obstacles which could hold up any sale of the club.

Giles Watling MP, a Conservative member of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee, has called for that select committee to hold an evidence session on Saudi-based piracy of British sport including Premier League football.

The Premier League, which has its lawyers studying the proposed £300 million takeover, has itself previously urged action against Saudi Arabia by the US and British governments over piracy of match broadcasts by the Saudi-based beoutQ operation.

:rolleyes:

Has there been one of those podcasts with Caulkin on this week? If so, can I be a pain and ask for the link please? Not even for the updates, I just like listening to it as I work.

Guest reefatoon

The takeover of Newcastle United by a Saudi Arabia-backed consortium has hit significant political obstacles which could hold up any sale of the club.

Giles Watling MP, a Conservative member of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee, has called for that select committee to hold an evidence session on Saudi-based piracy of British sport including Premier League football.

The Premier League, which has its lawyers studying the proposed £300 million takeover, has itself previously urged action against Saudi Arabia by the US and British governments over piracy of match broadcasts by the Saudi-based beoutQ operation.

tenor.gif

That sound we can all hear is the the premier league old boys association circling the wagons. There’s no hard and firm rules in place to block this deal so they’ll look to put pressure on the government to veto it somehow. Ffs - why can we never have anything nice?

Means literally nothing.

All it has done is earned advertising revenue for the times or helped them gain subscribers.

Qatar lining the pockets of a politician to speak up

I doubt it, just an MP trying to look like he’s doing something.

He can’t go against his own government, and there is no other news out there. He might have a vested interest in Sky or another broadcaster.

In all honesty though even if he was granted it, it would do as much good as Chi’s actions did in getting rid of Ashley = nothing (not that, that is meant to be a slant on her work).

He can say he done this as his work, send it out in his news letters and claim to be someone who stands up for right and wrong.

It’s an easy thing to do as an MP. It makes it look like you are working, you know your efforts are in vein but it’s easily to request something and say you weren’t heard but tried.

It is no different to the Sheffield MP asking for an intervention the other week.

If the PL had any intention of approving this it would have been done so by now. They’re simply stalling until they can find enough excuses to reject it and put the blame elsewhere. Their dream scenario is the government coming in and stopping it or buyer walking away.

Guest Butcher

If the PL had any intention of approving this it would have been done so by now. They’re simply stalling until they can find enough excuses to reject it and put the blame elsewhere. Their dream scenario is the government coming in and stopping it or buyer walking away.

Again, based on what?

I think it's time for you to log off for a bit dude.

If anyone wants to read the full article, this is it:

In an email to the select committee, Watling said an evidence session was “even more relevant now within the context of the likely takeover of Newcastle United by a consortium backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (KSA PIF).

“This investment fund is backed by the same entity that backs beoutQ – Saudi Arabia – and is particularly pressing as the government refused to comment on the takeover to the Committee recently.”

Karl McCartney, another Conservative MP and the Chairman of the UK Parliamentary Football Club, will also call on the government today to “block the purchase of Newcastle United”. McCartney states that beoutQ’s ongoing piracy is “an outrage” which undermines British football.

In a separate development, the Liberal Democrats are set to call for the sale of Newcastle by owner Mike Ashley to be blocked.

Under the takeover deal, the Saudi PIF would acquire an 80 per cent stake, Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners 10 per cent, and the other 10 per cent going to the Reuben brothers property developers, Simon and David.

The PIF is the country’s sovereign wealth fund and is overseen by the Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.

The Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has previously said the government will not intervene in the takeover and Watling has asked for him to give evidence to the committee.

Watling, the MP for Clacton, said in his email that the issues raised included “whether the UK government, by allowing the sale to take place, is taking appropriate action in this instance to protect the value of UK sport, which is both a cultural and commercial asset to the country?”

He added: “I am writing to request that the Committee holds an oral evidence session on the theft of UK sport by the Saudi-based pirate operation beoutQ, which has been stealing and broadcasting every major UK sporting competition for almost three years, including the Premier League. Ideally, this should be with the Secretary of State and representatives from the Premier League.”

He also questioned whether the government is taking seriously its manifesto commitment to instigate a fan-led review of football governance, including “an Owners and Directors Test which takes a holistic view of the health of UK sport”.

The select committee held a session on the beoutQ piracy in May last year and Watling’s email asks what progress has been made to protect the Premier League, Wimbledon tennis, and the broadcasters BBC and Sky who have also written complaints about the piracy.

The Saudi takeover is coming under considerable pressure this week after Hatice Cengiz, the fiancée of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi, also wrote an open letter to Newcastle fans urging them to oppose the deal.

Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Arabian embassy in Istanbul, Turkey, back in 2018, and Cengiz continues to shine a light on the kingdom’s appalling human rights record.

In her letter to Newcastle fans she wrote: “I know that many of you are tempted by his offer to get out of the dire situation that has crippled your club for so many years. But the Crown Prince is accused of ordering Jamal’s murder. My plea to you is to think whether accepting the offer is really the right way out of the despair for your club.

“You as the loyal fans do have a big say in this. I implore you all to unite to protect your beloved club and city. They are making this move not with your best interests in mind, but solely to serve themselves. Their hearts will not genuinely be in the club that means everything to you. Now is the moment to stand tall together for the game, your club, your city and your country in order to slam shut the door on this offensive deal.”

He's probably right though.

It is time for Chi Onwurah to represent her constituency and make a valid points how this takeover can help creating jobs and making significant investment in her jurisdiction. I don't blame other MP's try to help their teams. What she did in her fact finding town hall last week is giving platform to the right groups an Qatar media machine to have more negative things to say about this takeover.

All bark, no bite. The government won't veto it for obvious reasons, and the buyers won't walk away. Why, when they have clearly invested loads to get to this point? Money talks, everything else can be overcome.

He's probably right though.

Why? Based on what? Not saying it'll happen btw, just interested to know why so many people on here are experts of this process?