Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I've yet to see any evidence his fiancee has ever challenged any Saudi purchase previously - and while I'm sure she has - I doubt it's been as relentlessly as this. 3 letters in nigh on 4 weeks. It seems pretty transparent that this isn't just her acting in the memory of her fiancee and that there's another driving force behind this.

If you had to guess, what would you say the driving force is?

So no update on the takeover then?

All updates are in the clique's WhatsApp group as always. PM Dave or DM Caulkin for an invite.

Told you IndyKiller has an update @ 10pm

I've yet to see any evidence his fiancee has ever challenged any Saudi purchase previously - and while I'm sure she has - I doubt it's been as relentlessly as this. 3 letters in nigh on 4 weeks. It seems pretty transparent that this isn't just her acting in the memory of her fiancee and that there's another driving force behind this.

Not to go all tin hat, but this reminded me that her fiancee was being fed pro-Qatar narratives for his articles just before he was killed.  Obviously doesn't mean he should've been killed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/jamal-khashoggis-final-months-an-exile-in-the-long-shadow-of-saudi-arabia/2018/12/21/d6fc68c2-0476-11e9-b6a9-0aa5c2fcc9e4_story.html

"Perhaps most problematic for Khashoggi were his connections to an organization funded by Saudi Arabia’s regional nemesis, Qatar. Text messages between Khashoggi and an executive at Qatar Foundation International show that the executive, Maggie Mitchell Salem, at times shaped the columns he submitted to The Washington Post, proposing topics, drafting material and prodding him to take a harder line against the Saudi government. Khashoggi also appears to have relied on a researcher and translator affiliated with the organization, which promotes Arabic-language education in the United States."

"Khashoggi also appears to have accepted significant help with his columns. Salem, the executive at the Qatar foundation, reviewed his work in advance and in some instances appears to have proposed language, according to a voluminous collection of messages obtained by The Post.

In early August, Salem prodded Khashoggi to write about Saudi Arabia’s alliances “from DC to Jerusalem to rising right wing parties across Europe...bringing an end to the liberal world order that challenges their abuses at home.”

Khashoggi expressed misgivings about such a strident tone, then asked, “So do you have time to write it?”

“I’ll try,” she replied, although she went on to urge him to “try a draft” himself incorporating sentences that she had sent him by text. A column reflecting their discussion appeared in The Post on Aug. 7. Khashoggi appears to have used some of Salem’s suggestions, though it largely tracks ideas that he expressed in their exchange over the encrypted app WhatsApp.

Other texts in the 200-page trove indicate that Salem’s organization paid a researcher who did work for Khashoggi. The foundation is an offshoot of a larger Qatar-based organization. Khashoggi also relied on a translator who worked at times for the Qatari embassy and the foundation."

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F5RXSFwlY-bY%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

He's gone from being a mate of Al Queda to a Qatari pawn in one day :lol:

Cengiz isn't writing any of these. People are asking her to put her name to it because it makes their protest more powerful with her on board.

He's gone from being a mate of Al Queda to a Qatari pawn in one day :lol:

Cengiz isn't writing any of these. People are asking her to put her name to it because it makes their protest more powerful with her on board.

Shows how complex the region is

Not to go all tin hat, but this reminded me that her fiancee was being fed pro-Qatar narratives for his articles just before he was killed.  Obviously doesn't mean he should've been killed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/jamal-khashoggis-final-months-an-exile-in-the-long-shadow-of-saudi-arabia/2018/12/21/d6fc68c2-0476-11e9-b6a9-0aa5c2fcc9e4_story.html

"Perhaps most problematic for Khashoggi were his connections to an organization funded by Saudi Arabia’s regional nemesis, Qatar. Text messages between Khashoggi and an executive at Qatar Foundation International show that the executive, Maggie Mitchell Salem, at times shaped the columns he submitted to The Washington Post, proposing topics, drafting material and prodding him to take a harder line against the Saudi government. Khashoggi also appears to have relied on a researcher and translator affiliated with the organization, which promotes Arabic-language education in the United States."

"Khashoggi also appears to have accepted significant help with his columns. Salem, the executive at the Qatar foundation, reviewed his work in advance and in some instances appears to have proposed language, according to a voluminous collection of messages obtained by The Post.

In early August, Salem prodded Khashoggi to write about Saudi Arabia’s alliances “from DC to Jerusalem to rising right wing parties across Europe...bringing an end to the liberal world order that challenges their abuses at home.”

Khashoggi expressed misgivings about such a strident tone, then asked, “So do you have time to write it?”

“I’ll try,” she replied, although she went on to urge him to “try a draft” himself incorporating sentences that she had sent him by text. A column reflecting their discussion appeared in The Post on Aug. 7. Khashoggi appears to have used some of Salem’s suggestions, though it largely tracks ideas that he expressed in their exchange over the encrypted app WhatsApp.

Other texts in the 200-page trove indicate that Salem’s organization paid a researcher who did work for Khashoggi. The foundation is an offshoot of a larger Qatar-based organization. Khashoggi also relied on a translator who worked at times for the Qatari embassy and the foundation."

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F5RXSFwlY-bY%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This can’t be true are you a Saudi bot bobloblaw ?

I think it would be incredibly naive to think that most journalists aren’t given agenda’s or even articles to write, especially in and regarding countries where the freedom of the press is very much questioned.

I think it would be incredibly naive to think that most journalists aren’t given agenda’s or even articles to write, especially in and regarding countries where the freedom of the press is very much questioned.

He was living in the US writing for the Washington Post.  Again, he definitely didn't deserve to be killed, and I'm not saying there is some conspiracy.  The Bein stuff just reminded me about his links to Qatar, that I had completely forgot about.

Also, anyone calling his fiancee a bitch is reprehensible.  She seems to have put out a lot of op-eds and other articles about his murder, not just these letters.

How we all gonna feel if this goes past next week.

My hope will fade, based on nothing but we never have good things going for us in 13 years

I thought I'd be getting twitchy by mid-May, but given the delays are totally understandable and there's nothing to suggest it's going to be rejected, I'm still pretty relaxed.

He was living in the US writing for the Washington Post.  Again, he definitely didn't deserve to be killed, and I'm not saying there is some conspiracy.  The Bein stuff just reminded me about his links to Qatar, that I had completely forgot about.

Also, anyone calling his fiancee a bitch is reprehensible.  She seems to have put out a lot of op-eds and other articles about his murder, not just these letters.

Whoever calls his fiancé that is just plain wrong.

All I’m saying is that it is apparent that journalists aren’t as impartial as they would like to be thought of, that goes in western countries as well as other nations.

Him having aspects written for him or things suggested for him to write I don’t think isn’t common in the media.

In our country you can certainly see an agenda or where a journalist has been briefed in their articles.

I just don’t think people should be shocked about it.