Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's having loads of money to spend on players and ignoring everything else. the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

I think everyones well aware of your opinion without you having to repeat it every 2 minutes. The ability to post after deleting your account is quite impressive also  :lol:

As I mentioned, that was in response to specific posts and I can post whatever I want.

Of course you can, but you're only having the effect of making others dig trenches basically. There has to be a way we can have a more amicable debate here ffs.

Sorry, but posters were saying they wanted the Saudis over another potential U.S option and that unless it was someone with Jeff Bezos' wealth they weren't interested. They chose which trench to dig and I thought an edit of SBR's quote, the original of which we're all happy to repeat as representative of being a football supporter, was an effective way to highlight that.

Do you not think it's a bit of a low blow (and even disrespectful) to use (and edit) a quote of Sir Bobby's out of the original context? He isn't here to take a side like you are.

I'm curious as to whether those willing and able to divorce themselves from any emotional attachment to the club in lieu of the takeover apply that to other areas of their life too? For instance art, if you love a musician and then discover they've done something or stood for something that doesn't align with your moral values, can you immediately divorce yourself from any attachment to that piece of art? I find it almost impossible to do so, I'm just wondering how with some it's literally 1's and 0's, a kind of robotic-ness with no murky or nuanced middle ground. Genuinely curious as to whether this takeover is an exceptional situation and that even if they wanted to still love the club, they simply couldn't, or are people just cutting emotional ties with immediate effect? (if that's even possible, I'm not so sure)

I've still got Jacko on my playlist

I'm curious as to whether those willing and able to divorce themselves from any emotional attachment to the club in lieu of the takeover apply that to other areas of their life too? For instance art, if you love a musician and then discover they've done something or stood for something that doesn't align with your moral values, can you immediately divorce yourself from any attachment to that piece of art? I find it almost impossible to do so, I'm just wondering how with some it's literally 1's and 0's, a kind of robotic-ness with no murky or nuanced middle ground. Genuinely curious as to whether this takeover is an exceptional situation and that even if they wanted to still love the club, they simply couldn't, or are people just cutting emotional ties with immediate effect? (if that's even possible, I'm not so sure)

PYT is just too good isn't it.

What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's having loads of money to spend on players and ignoring everything else. the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Ironically, having owners who will invest in the club, the buildings and the city will bring back the noise, the pride and the passion IMO. It's been the exact opposite when we've been run like a cold hard business.

Like Man City?

How was the atmosphere at City before they started winning stuff? I don't remember it being that great tbh, plenty of them were converting to Man U as their favourite club.

Nah, they were pretty loyal but were the self proclaimed ‘best fans in the world’. There used to several attendance arguments with usas they had the nerve to sing ‘where were you when you were s***’ at us at St James’.

They had good attendances in lower league football for sure. They were decent fans. I think the same thing that happened to them will happen to us. It’s a fatigue really more than anything.

Yeah they had decent crowds when they were where the mackems are now. They are just normal arrogant Mancs in the hear then before you see them Noel Gallagher mould and mouthed off too much.

Maine Road was a good old ground, bloody nightmare to get in and out of though.

Don't agree with this at all. The long time city fans are, for the most part, decent lads who share a very similiar outlook to us toon fans. They've found themselves in a very fortunate position that, fingers crossed, we may find ourselves in. Ask the clued up amongst them and I'm sure they'll tell you the best time for them was in the old second division with players like Sean Wright Phillips and Jon Macken - I'm sure in ten years time we'll be telling anyone who listens about going down with Rafa Benitez and that amazing season in the Championship.....

Yeah, mine was maybe a bit of a crass generalisation. There’s decent lads there.

Apart from the new members. Apple cart upsetters the lot of them.

Sorry, didn’t understand that mate

msg7203868 date=1587876463]

New members everywhere.

This has gone to shite.

Manorpark though  :lol: :lol:

Manorpark is a long time poster, he just posts infrequently.

I know, I was referring to the other new members

My poor effort at a joke!

Nah it was me being slow :lol: :thup:

Beyond any connection with the football club, I have to say I find that a pretty disturbing precedent for the city like. Who knows though, anything could happen.

exact opposite. I honestly feel that this would be a greater benefit to the city than to the club itself.

If they do similar to what the Man City owners have done in Manchester then it would be massive for Newcastle and the North East.

I’ve said it before, it’s ok living in London and Manchester and saying we should reject this money, but the fact is this area has been deprived of investment for generations. We don’t have a queue of people flocking to invest here. We are not in a position to turn down anyone’s money, look at how NCC are accepting projects in the city of lower quality than is being proposed elsewhere and even in smaller southern towns and cities.

You've cut out what I was talking about though? The people now batting for the Saudis. Regeneration is another matter and anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's.

There has been soundings for a long time about Staveley wanting to invest in the area, not just with the Saudi’s but in her previous bids as well.

I don’t think any other group buying us would do that, even if there is another group who could throw huge amounts of money at the club, I don’t think the wider area will be an area of concern or opportunity for them.

At the end of the day I think people have to realise that PIF are ultimately a company in their own right. We can have a much objections as we like with the Saudi government, but ultimately PIF are not them, even if they were founded by the royal family. Their business dealings and history of operations has earned them the right to be thought of as a separate entity of the government.

If you were to argue that they are one and the same because they were formed by a Saudi Prince, then by that comparison the same link could be made between the Princes Trust fund and the British royal family and governments actions which are not exactly the greatest. It sounds stupid, but that is essentially the same link that is being made between PIF and the Saudi government.

Should people look at Saudi Arabia and question what they are doing? Yes, but they should have been doing that in anyway, not just when NUFC or any other sporting club is bought by them.

If people can’t realise that there is a difference between a private investment portfolio and the government and still feel guilty about following Newcastle, they are more than welcome to donate with Amensty or help them out, or similar groups. I’ve said all along that it would have been in Amnesty’s better long term interests to have contacted the NUST and asked to work with them to educate NUFC fans, and other football fans. Instead they have went for short term opportunism and pretty much made NUFC fans feel attacked. Have they now spoilt their chances of working with the NUST and NUFC fans in future? Have they spoilt theirs chances of getting NUFC to start a JustGiving fundraising page for when the takeover goes through? I honestly feel like they probably have, and in 2-3 weeks time when the takeover is complete and the story has been told, Amnesty will be forgotten about and have gained nothing from the situation.

Notwithstanding the awful taste in music, he wasn’t proved guilty of anything though he likely is a massive nonce. I don’t listen to Lostprophets anymore, even though dragon vs shinobi ninja is a legit banger

Had on a sec, you can't say somebody has an awful taste in music for mentioning Michael Jackson then go on to reference Lost Prophets as good  :lol:

Decent point, but where I’m from as a far bigger part of me than a musician or band. Personally it defines me far more. Still conflicted though.

Beyond any connection with the football club, I have to say I find that a pretty disturbing precedent for the city like.

Oh do f*** off. There's life outside the NUFC bubble you live in round here and believe it or not there's thousands of people in 'the city' who couldnt give a s*** either way. f***ing grow up man.

I wonder why my personal view on it has touched such a nerve with you. Very strange

You don't wonder that at all you sanctimonious tit. There's nothing strange about you being held to account when you stray beyond the subject of the ownership of NUFC to have a pop at the city itself. Would you care to expand on why it's a "disturbing precedent" or are you just flinging out word salad to feel a bit more smug than you already do?

I do wonder considering I don't think what I said was inflammatory enough to warrant such a hysterical reaction, yeah.

Not sure how it's sanctimonious or smug to see Newcastle fans online do things like attack Khashoggi's grieving fiance and worry about that level of defensive sentiment spreading if the Saudis improve the area, for example, and how that impacts on the city's reputation. I mean all I've said is that I find the mere idea of that disturbing and you've felt it necessary to attack that opinion, so...

Personally, I get offended by the generalisation that most Newcastle fans are like the morons on twitter and more specifically the sort of morons that would tweet a grieving widow.

It was a few nobheads who likely acted without thinking.

It's also hardly a surprise that the people of Newcastle are excited by the prospect of good football, alongside investment into the area. Do you think SA enters peoples thoughts on a daily basis or indeed would affect their thinking?

It's not a generalisation. Like I said in my post, the concern is that that sort of defensive sentiment spreads, and imo it will. If you don't have the same concern that's fine, but I'm not being sanctimonious just for having the opposite opinion. None of us have any idea what's going to happen and how it'll affect the area.

Bhoy, I don’t understand what KI said that is so terrible? I’m sure people do feel welcome and Newcastle is a great city (not without it’s problems though as I’m sure you know). There is merit in what KI is saying, you and others have suggested that it’s just a few online nob heads is not what I think. There is loads of them for a start, and my own brother who is 50 odd and a ST holder, said to me “where was Amnesty before?”. It’s not just online sentiment. You’ll be surprised. I love Newcastle as much as you do but you’re acting like it’s a utopia and that there is no chance of anything bad happening. And before anyone jump down my throat my family  are from Kenton, so I’m not in some middle class bubble.

Really? I literally said in my post "everything's that's shit about it'.  Generally speaking utopias don't have shit parts in them.

He comes across as a contrarian and while I agree that there is merit in his opinion in a Saudi ownership in NUFC, I whole-heartedly disagree that this spills over into the reputation of Newcastle as a city. It just doesn't and Im not having it jizzed out as fact.

I think everyones well aware of your opinion without you having to repeat it every 2 minutes. The ability to post after deleting your account is quite impressive also  :lol:

As I mentioned, that was in response to specific posts and I can post whatever I want.

Of course you can, but you're only having the effect of making others dig trenches basically. There has to be a way we can have a more amicable debate here ffs.

Sorry, but posters were saying they wanted the Saudis over another potential U.S option and that unless it was someone with Jeff Bezos' wealth they weren't interested. They chose which trench to dig and I thought an edit of SBR's quote, the original of which we're all happy to repeat as representative of being a football supporter, was an effective way to highlight that.

Do you not think it's a bit of a low blow (and even disrespectful) to use (and edit) a quote of Sir Bobby's out of the original context? He isn't here to take a side like you are.

No, not really, I think it's very pertinent.

Beyond any connection with the football club, I have to say I find that a pretty disturbing precedent for the city like.

Oh do f*** off. There's life outside the NUFC bubble you live in round here and believe it or not there's thousands of people in 'the city' who couldnt give a s*** either way. f***ing grow up man.

I wonder why my personal view on it has touched such a nerve with you. Very strange

You don't wonder that at all you sanctimonious tit. There's nothing strange about you being held to account when you stray beyond the subject of the ownership of NUFC to have a pop at the city itself. Would you care to expand on why it's a "disturbing precedent" or are you just flinging out word salad to feel a bit more smug than you already do?

I do wonder considering I don't think what I said was inflammatory enough to warrant such a hysterical reaction, yeah.

Not sure how it's sanctimonious or smug to see Newcastle fans online do things like attack Khashoggi's grieving fiance and worry about that level of defensive sentiment spreading if the Saudis improve the area, for example, and how that impacts on the city's reputation. I mean all I've said is that I find the mere idea of that disturbing and you've felt it necessary to attack that opinion, so...

How the hell does that impact on "the cities reputation"? You've gone from some arsehole on Twitter giving a widow grief, which as anyone with a brain agrees is absolutely repugnant, to that's a "pretty disturbing precedent for the city like". So, ok, I'll bite....

In my professional capacity I have to help rehome people new to the country. Help them find homes, jobs, learn the language, the usual quotidian s*** we all take for granted. And when people are rehoused in Newcastle we have to make them feel welcome, and guess what? They do. Because this is a great place to live, and I love everything that's good about it, and I try to improve everything that's s*** about it. And some f***ing t*** with an axe to grind about the human rights record of some country that I have personally helped their citizens of - and I'm going to guess you've done the square root of f*** all about - isn't going to change that.

There you go. 'Hysterical' enough for you?

Genuinely unhinged, yeah. :thup: Very weird and presumptuous.

Decent point, but where I’m from as a far bigger part of me than a musician or band. Personally it defines me far more. Still conflicted though.

I know what you mean, I guess there's an element of personal value structures tied into that too. For me personally, art is as big a part of my life as just about anything else. But regardless, that was the point I was touching on, that inner conflict that is very complex, and the apparent ability of some to not succumb to any of that and just divorce any attachment. It's interesting to me because when I'm heavily invested into something, the prospect of changing my relationship with that thing is a challenging one and certainly not something that can be done with immediate effect; as if that thing of value pervades multiple areas of your life which is quite likely, that's a lot of untangling to do.

I've never delved into the Man City fans outlook on it, but Ricky Hatton is pretty well known for preferring everything pre-take over.

Isnt he that drunk who has been punched in the head multiple times?

Cracking boxer in his day. Got a couple of bad KO’s towards the end. Always seemed a canny bloke tbf 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cracking boxer my arse he fought bums or people at the right time Kostas tzu for example, when he fought decent fighters he got pummeled as was seen by Mayweather and Pacquaio fights. The guy used to est fry ups sinking gallons of beer in the boozer and balloon up during fights and he was supposed to  e a professional athlete, complete embarrassment

No, not really, I think it's very pertinent.

I think it's absolutely fucking disgusting that you have bastardised a quote from an absolute legend for the sole purpose of scoring points online.

Guest neesy111

:lol: yes, and the Beatles are shite while we’re at it. But regardless my overall point is he wasn’t convicted. Does anyone listen to Gary Glitter still?

Super Duper Branko Strupar[/member]

The abuse KI is getting is a bit much.

Can’t people just agree to disagree.

This conversation was born out of how people on Twitter have abused Amnesty and such and we all agree it’s too much. KI having his opinion is only fair and shouldn’t be abused for it, otherwise we are no better than Twatter people. Make your counter points, then if you can’t agree just agree to disagree and move on. The posts still getting to you, mute the other person.