Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

It could be quite telling the lack of column inches about this today. Something may have been embargoed with the press ahead of an early notification this week perhaps? Given there’s unlikely to be a press conference a lot of the media may have been given advance warning of potential interviews etc?

Or maybe everyone’s just bored with the bullshit

It could be quite telling the lack of column inches about this today. Something may have been embargoed with the press ahead of an early notification this week perhaps? Given there’s unlikely to be a press conference a lot of the media may have been given advance warning of potential interviews etc?

Or maybe everyone’s just bored with the bullshit

Nah, just nothing to report and fatigue as pretty much everything to be said on it has been said. Something as big as this won't go out under embargo, would never hold.

BBC running the Khashoggi fiancé story for the third time, slightly different quote this time.

It’s almost as if some agency was releasing press releases on her behalf....

I don't care if it's Qatar releasing the story. It's one we should be discussing seriously. It's not enough to simply acknowledge wrong-doing. A man was murdered for criticising a regime. That does not deserve death.

Why should we ? It’s got nothing to do with football, if your going to attach the murder to the purchase of the club then also discuss it in relation to live nation, Warner brothers and other Saudi purchases.

No one is disputing the murder is horrendous, it’s the hypocrisy that the sale of nufc should be stopped whilst all these other deals go throughout without a murmur.

The one thing this deal won’t be stopped on is human rights, it would put the premier league at odds with the policy of the U.K. government.

What is blatantly happening here is human rights lawyers are using the high profile nature of this sale to gain publicity, as they know the Saudis buying stakes in other companies just doesn’t draw the same attention.

You can’t blame them for this as this is their job, however what I strongly object to is the notion that we should sacrifice the chance of a lifetime for our city and club, If this was blocked these same people would move on to their next cause and wouldn’t  give a s%#t about us.

So whilst I acknowledge and understand the human rights aspect, ths hypocrisy expecting us to be line drawn in the sand with Saudis doesn’t wash with me and many others.

Despite my dislike of the practices of this kind of regime, I have to admit to myself that I hope the sale goes through. Of course there's a strong element of hypocrisy and double standards there, but I don't think it's worse than those who turn a blind eye to the close commercial relationship and military alliance that we have with the Saudis, but who indulge in outrage when someone else's football team looks like profiting.

However, I don't think we should tell ourselves that we can be an agent for change in that country by giving them a little lecture whilst at the same time taking their money. That feels like a piece of self-deceit.

One thing I do genuinely believe, though I may be wrong, is that this kind of step by the Saudis represents a move, however slight, towards a closer cultural relationship with the West, and therefore ultimately to other reforms, which I think have already begun in that country, albeit on a modest scale. Given the chaos that's resulted in that part of the world when other countries have sought to reform, it's perhaps better that change is slow and incremental, to avoid a messy revolution that end up making the situation worse. Frankly, I don't think the world can afford to have an Ayatollah taking charge there.

BBC running the Khashoggi fiancé story for the third time, slightly different quote this time.

It’s almost as if some agency was releasing press releases on her behalf....

I don't care if it's Qatar releasing the story. It's one we should be discussing seriously. It's not enough to simply acknowledge wrong-doing. A man was murdered for criticising a regime. That does not deserve death.

Why should we ? It’s got nothing to do with football, if your going to attach the murder to the purchase of the club then also discuss it in relation to live nation, Warner brothers and other Saudi purchases.

No one is disputing the murder is horrendous, it’s the hypocrisy that the sale of nufc should be stopped whilst all these other deals go throughout without a murmur.

The one thing this deal won’t be stopped on is human rights, it would put the premier league at odds with the policy of the U.K. government.

What is blatantly happening here is human rights lawyers are using the high profile nature of this sale to gain publicity, as they know the Saudis buying stakes in other companies just doesn’t draw the same attention.

You can’t blame them for this as this is their job, however what I strongly object to is the notion that we should sacrifice the chance of a lifetime for our city and club, If this was blocked these same people would move on to their next cause and wouldn’t  give a s%#t about us.

So whilst I acknowledge and understand the human rights aspect, ths hypocrisy expecting us to be line drawn in the sand with Saudis doesn’t wash with me and many others.

Despite my dislike of the practices of this kind of regime, I have to admit to myself that I hope the sale goes through. Of course there's a strong element of hypocrisy and double standards there, but I don't think it's worse than those who turn a blind eye to the close commercial relationship and military alliance that we have with the Saudis, but who indulge in outrage when someone else's football team looks like profiting.

However, I don't think we should tell ourselves that we can be an agent for change in that country by giving them a little lecture whilst at the same time taking their money. That feels like a piece of self-deceit.

One thing I do genuinely believe, though I may be wrong, is that this kind of step by the Saudis represents a move, however slight, towards a closer cultural relationship with the West, and therefore ultimately to other reforms, which I think have already begun in that country, albeit on a modest scale. Given the chaos that's resulted in that part of the world when other countries have sought to reform, it's perhaps better that change is slow and incremental, to avoid a messy revolution that end up making the situation worse. Frankly, I don't think the world can afford to have an Ayatollah taking charge there.

I think you’re last paragraph there raises a very interesting point. Essentially is purchase just part of a broader ‘sportswashing’ policy, or is it part of a gradual cultural change within SA? Actually what Delaney and Neville went back and forth with on Twitter yesterday.

Depending on your viewpoint you could argue either way, but there’s probably not really going to be an answer for another 10 years or so.

A lot of fans (me included I suspect) probably wouldn’t care if they brought success and investment to the club/region, but an interesting point none the less.

Guest godzilla

It's not done.

I said "if".... :rolleyes:

Plus how do you know or are you just guessing ?

I know for a fact that, as of Friday night, the PL checks were still taking place.

Course you did

It's not done.

I know for a fact that, as of Friday night, the PL checks were still taking place.

Course you did

I do know that for a fact, actually. I spoke to one of this forum's favourite journalists about it. They said they spoke to the buyers side on Friday afternoon and everything was still with the PL.

Guest godzilla

It's not done.

Course you did

I do know that for a fact, actually. I spoke to one of this forum's favourite journalists about it. They said they spoke to the buyers side on Friday afternoon and everything was still with the PL.

Course you did

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

OK. I'm not entirely sure whether you're joking or just being difficult for the sake of it, so I'll let you mistakenly believe that the takeover is done. Enjoy.

Guest godzilla

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

OK. I'm not entirely sure whether you're joking or just being difficult for the sake of it, so I'll let you mistakenly believe that the takeover is done. Enjoy.

Didn't say it was what I'm saying is you're talking a load of shite about speaking with anyone.

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

Didn't say it was what I'm saying is you're talking a load of shite about speaking with anyone.

Why do you think that? Believe what you want to believe man... I sent both Caulkin and Waugh from the Athletic DMs on Twitter and they both replied with the same info.

But if you'd prefer to be a dick and doubt that, then fill your boots.

Guest godzilla

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

Didn't say it was what I'm saying is you're talking a load of s**** about speaking with anyone.

Why do you think that? Believe what you want to believe man... I sent both Caulkin and Waugh from the Athletic DMs on Twitter and they both replied with the same info.

Course you did

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

Didn't say it was what I'm saying is you're talking a load of s**** about speaking with anyone.

Course you did

Congratulations, you're a bellend.

Guest godzilla

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

Course you did

Congratulations, you're a bellend.

:coolsmiley: ;D

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

You’re not fucking Odin, are you?

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

You’re not fucking Odin, are you?

For fucks sake, no.  :lol: It's hardly fucking ground breaking anyway is it... I messaged Caulkin and Waugh and both said that they'd spoken to the buying side on Friday and there was nothing to report and it was still with the PL. I mean, it's hardly unbelievable... they both publicly said the same thing on Thursday. And every other news report says the same thing.

Pretty sure godzilla is just being a pillock for the sake of it.

To be honest even if it is done Caulken won't admit to it in a DM from someone he doesn't know on twitter. He's well in there with Staveley and he's not going to piss on his own bonfire. The info he releases seems to be somewhat given the nod from his source.

That's why he's reliable, and I'd be very very surprised if we hear  from him confirming its all done before a statement from them.

Guest godzilla

It's not done.

Course you did

Course you did

You’re not f***ing Odin, are you?

For f***s sake, no.  :lol: It's hardly f***ing ground breaking anyway is it... I messaged Caulkin and Waugh and both said that they'd spoken to the buying side on Friday and there was nothing to report and it was still with the PL. I mean, it's hardly unbelievable... they both publicly said the same thing on Thursday.

Pretty sure godzilla is just being a pillock for the sake of it.

Not a pillock at all just think you're talking utter shite about speaking with them.