Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest chopey

Is it true that the owners and directors check for the Liverpool takeover in 2010 took 3 days ?

Guest reefatoon

Is it true that the owners and directors check for the Liverpool takeover in 2010 took 3 days ?

Dunno, did Fenway dismember anyone or run their own pirate Premier League streams?

In 3 days there was never a chance to find out.

Very lengthy and informative article by Matt Slater in The Athletic on the takeover this morning, which is largely positive while remaining realistic. The bit that it all boils down to, IMO, is that "...the Premier League cannot see a way to sanction the deal without Saudi Arabia unblocking beIN Sports, shutting down beoutQ and opening up its courts."

"One source described the situation as a "potential disaster that could become the biggest win-win in history" if the Premier League can persuade the Saudis to properly crack down on beoutQ, lift its blockade of beIN and allow its lawyers to take custom from aggrieved overseas rights-holders... and then, when the Premier League's Middle East and North African broadcast rights become available again in 2022, a legitimate Saudi Arabian sports broadcaster can give beIN a run for its money in the auction, creating genuine competition in the region and very probably driving the price up."

Back in February it seems the PL's head of legal made some comments to this effect, noting that it's impossible for them to access the Saudi justice system to do anything about the piracy."I'd like to see it be on a level playing field with any other territory where there's a number of illegal operators in the market, so I can go there, I can get evidence of what's going on, and I have access to legal remedies."

They're basically saying this WTO report is going to be additional leverage for the PL and beIN, too, as it's so heavily in their favour and against Saudi Arabia, so that's another potential cause for the ongoing delay. Staveley and Co. most recently answered PL questions on Wednesday, and there's still a heavy back-and-forth ongoing.

Suppose it all boils down to how much MBS is willing to bend in order to get control of NUFC and get a foothold in the Premier League, because it seems the PL (and beIN's) positions are pretty clear.

Can't edit the post, but should've added on the very end "Or if he's just happy to keep denying involvement in beoutQ and for this to drag out, safe in the knowledge that the PL has no real legal grounds to block the takeover and predicting that they'd be too scared to take him on in court by attempting to do so."

The length of time this is taking may point to the latter, and though I can't pretend to know much about him I suppose it's safe to say that he's probably not the type to bend. For all we know the takeover could be motivated by wanting to get after Qatar and beIN as much as anything else revolving around sportswashing or sporting glory :lol:.

Can't edit the post, but should've added on the very end "Or if he's just happy to keep denying involvement in beoutQ and for this to drag out, safe in the knowledge that the PL has no real legal grounds to block the takeover and predicting that they'd be too scared to take him on in court by attempting to do so."

The length of time this is taking may point to the latter, and though I can't pretend to know much about him I suppose it's safe to say that he's probably not the type to bend. For all we know the takeover could be motivated by wanting to get after Qatar and beIN as much as anything else revolving around sportswashing or sporting glory :lol:.

Thanks for adding this point.

PL effectively saying we'll give you the club you want, if you give Qatar everything they want. Its easy to see beoutq being shut down/already happened, but the whole legal remedy for what has gone on is surely unrealistic? Perhaps they are negotiating some kind of settlement of that.

Ok. All the positivity (even though it was on shaky grounds in the first place) from HTT's Trump speech last night has absolutely been squished out of me from that article in The Athletic. Ain't going to happen if PL are going to be buddies with Qatar.

Very lengthy and informative article by Matt Slater in The Athletic on the takeover this morning, which is largely positive while remaining realistic. The bit that it all boils down to, IMO, is that "...the Premier League cannot see a way to sanction the deal without Saudi Arabia unblocking beIN Sports, shutting down beoutQ and opening up its courts."

"One source described the situation as a "potential disaster that could become the biggest win-win in history" if the Premier League can persuade the Saudis to properly crack down on beoutQ, lift its blockade of beIN and allow its lawyers to take custom from aggrieved overseas rights-holders... and then, when the Premier League's Middle East and North African broadcast rights become available again in 2022, a legitimate Saudi Arabian sports broadcaster can give beIN a run for its money in the auction, creating genuine competition in the region and very probably driving the price up."

Back in February it seems the PL's head of legal made some comments to this effect, noting that it's impossible for them to access the Saudi justice system to do anything about the piracy."I'd like to see it be on a level playing field with any other territory where there's a number of illegal operators in the market, so I can go there, I can get evidence of what's going on, and I have access to legal remedies."

They're basically saying this WTO report is going to be additional leverage for the PL and beIN, too, as it's so heavily in their favour and against Saudi Arabia, so that's another potential cause for the ongoing delay. Staveley and Co. most recently answered PL questions on Wednesday, and there's still a heavy back-and-forth ongoing.

Suppose it all boils down to how much MBS is willing to bend in order to get control of NUFC and get a foothold in the Premier League, because it seems the PL (and beIN's) positions are pretty clear.

If that is true it's safe to say that the "PIF is a separate legal entity from the KSA so legally there is nothing the PL can do within their D&O test as it is to stop this deal going through" was entirely misconceived. The PL and its rights holders are holding KSA to account through PIF's involvement in the NUFC takeover. I have a feeling it will all unravel from here, in typical Newcastle United style.

Ok. All the positivity (even though it was on shaky grounds in the first place) from HTT's Trump speech last night has absolutely been squished out of me from that article in The Athletic. Ain't going to happen if PL are going to be buddies with Qatar.

The PL are surely just trying to make the best of an impossible situation, being the exceptionally greedy cunts that they are? There was more good than bad in that article, I reckon! It depends on MBS' motivations. This is a tremendous opportunity to stick it to Qatar even more than he already has done, and I'd suggest he probably know this sort of pushback was coming.

Guest godzilla

If that is true it's safe to say that the "PIF is a separate legal entity from the KSA so legally there is nothing the PL can do within their D&O test as it is to stop this deal going through" was entirely misconceived. The PL and its rights holders are holding KSA to account through PIF's involvement in the NUFC takeover. I have a feeling it will all unravel from here, in typical Newcastle United style.

It's always been down to whether PIF are seen as a separate legal entity and whether they can be directly linked to the piracy or not. Absolute minefield and I still think the PL are waiting for the final version of the report to go public to use as ammunition.

I just keep telling myself that MBS and his team wouldn't have gone in for this unless they were certain it would happen. The embarrassment and bad press if it doesn't isn't something that they'd entertain IMO.

There's no way MBS bends for Qatar, no chance at all. He'll let it rumble on denying all involvement with BeOutQ before eventually walking away from the deal all together. it's doomed.

Guest godzilla

I just keep telling myself that MBS and his team wouldn't have gone in for this unless they were certain it would happen. The embarrassment and bad press if it doesn't isn't something that they'd entertain IMO.

Hopefully, I just worry that they may have thought it was just a given that PIF could not be directly linked to the piracy and were a separate legal entity. The concern with this is that they thought it would have been passed at least a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately none of us know what the WTO report has concluded.