Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

It’s gonna be like carrying water in a sieve when it does leak.

Still nothing concrete to come out to suggest this is the week or that’s it’s close to a decision.

You could flip it, and say still nothing concrete to say it isn't this week or it is close  :coolsmiley:

True, however I still think if it is to happen we would get a definite leak from somewhere first.

Piracy exists when someone or something is taking the piss with pricing. Soon as it becomes affordable the issue goes away.

I had hooky music, movies, software and o/s, everything is legit these days via streaming services. Sports excluded as the sub pricing for a fraction of coverage is a disgrace. Lower prices and piracy fades, but they won’t as what they miss out on due to piracy is fuck all and dropping a few quid off a bill would cost a whole lot more.

This - I used to have loads of pirated music but haven’t downloaded anything dodgy in years as Spotify feels like good value and covers pretty much everything I listen to. Football costs a fortune and being split across a number of providers inevitably means there are plenty of games I don’t have a access to (even after paying all that money).

Spotify gives the square root of fuck all to the artists

Perhaps it means the most popular artists earn less. At the same time it allows for much lower barriers of entry for starting bands and artists, less reliance on agents (record companies) and arguably a healthier marketplace for music. The analogy works quite well with football come to think of it.

Don't agree with this....the best will always earn millions one way or another. I personally think Ed Sheeran is garbage, and Adele couldn't sing her way past the first round of x-factor, but enough people disagree with that opinion that they are sitting in houses worth millions, and I'm almost certain they sit and dry their tears over my opinion with £50notes every night

So what do you disagree with? You feel instead of earning millions through spotify they should be earning billions through CD sales why young artists play music in the street because they can’t get a record deal?

I’m guessing he’s saying that unless you’re already famous, then you are unlikely to make a living off streaming platforms, and without game/popularity you can’t gain a money spinning concert/tour. You are also more unlikely to be discovered. Streaming ultimately hasn’t helped the music, or in particular new artists, it has simply just changed the revenue source from listening to music, to concerts and merchandise. Ultimately the music isn’t the revenue maker anymore, the celebrity is.

I know I've been negative on here before about the odds of this happening, and I still REFUSE to get excited until its done out of emotional self-defense, I do see the Saudi crackdown on piracy as a big positive. No way do they do this if they're failing the test, or believe they're failing. They must have at least been led to believe that this will be enough to move things in the right direction for them.

Piracy exists when someone or something is taking the piss with pricing. Soon as it becomes affordable the issue goes away.

I had hooky music, movies, software and o/s, everything is legit these days via streaming services. Sports excluded as the sub pricing for a fraction of coverage is a disgrace. Lower prices and piracy fades, but they won’t as what they miss out on due to piracy is fuck all and dropping a few quid off a bill would cost a whole lot more.

This - I used to have loads of pirated music but haven’t downloaded anything dodgy in years as Spotify feels like good value and covers pretty much everything I listen to. Football costs a fortune and being split across a number of providers inevitably means there are plenty of games I don’t have a access to (even after paying all that money).

Perhaps it means the most popular artists earn less. At the same time it allows for much lower barriers of entry for starting bands and artists, less reliance on agents (record companies) and arguably a healthier marketplace for music. The analogy works quite well with football come to think of it.

Don't agree with this....the best will always earn millions one way or another. I personally think Ed Sheeran is garbage, and Adele couldn't sing her way past the first round of x-factor, but enough people disagree with that opinion that they are sitting in houses worth millions, and I'm almost certain they sit and dry their tears over my opinion with £50notes every night

Yeah.

I’m sure I’ve seen plenty of artists come out and say that singers are now required to do more tours if they wish to make money anymore. I think a lot of them have recouped revenue through the increase in popularity of vinyl, and other merchandise though. However they have said that they now have to work more for their money rather than spending a few weeks every couple of years in a recording studio.l like they used to be able to do.

Artists Always say they make no money from record sales, downloads, streaming services and touring, all this from their 3rd mansion in the hills after a long day flying on their private jet.  :lol:

I’m not saying I agree with them. All I’m saying is that they now say they have to work harder for the same level of income.

Garth Brooks is the highest selling solo artist in US history. For a long time he refused to sign with a streaming service, the reason being was because they don’t offer enough to him for his music and he doesn’t want to cannibalise his album sales with people playing his music on a streaming platform where he would make a lot less. He eventually signed for Amazon for a deal better than what Amazon offer to other artists, but to get that deal he had to agree to exclusivity. On top of that the vast majority of his listeners are unlikely to have an Amazon account or use their streaming service, so therefor he will still likely retain a large percentage of his album sales.

Tidal was created by music artists and is one of the highest paying streaming providers, they created it because they were tired of the lower offers from existing streaming platforms.

Yeah.

I’m sure I’ve seen plenty of artists come out and say that singers are now required to do more tours if they wish to make money anymore. I think a lot of them have recouped revenue through the increase in popularity of vinyl, and other merchandise though. However they have said that they now have to work more for their money rather than spending a few weeks every couple of years in a recording studio.l like they used to be able to do.

Surely it’s much better for the fans if artists make money actually making music for the fans, no?

Yeah.

Artists Always say they make no money from record sales, downloads, streaming services and touring, all this from their 3rd mansion in the hills after a long day flying on their private jet.  :lol:

I’m not saying I agree with them. All I’m saying is that they now say they have to work harder for the same level of income.

Garth Brooks is the highest selling solo artist in US history. For a long time he refused to sign with a streaming service, the reason being was because they don’t offer enough to him for his music and he doesn’t want to cannibalise his album sales with people playing his music on a streaming platform where he would make a lot less. He eventually signed for Amazon for a deal better than what Amazon offer to other artists, but to get that deal he had to agree to exclusivity. On top of that the vast majority of his listeners are unlikely to have an Amazon account or use their streaming service, so therefor he will still likely retain a large percentage of his album sales.

Tidal was created by music artists and is one of the highest paying streaming providers, they created it because they were tired of the lower offers from existing streaming platforms.

I was mainly joshing, but didn’t know that about tidal, their catalog good? Would move over from Spotify, I’ve no loyalty to them as long as I can also share to my amp via bt.

Still nothing concrete to come out to suggest this is the week or that’s it’s close to a decision.

You could flip it, and say still nothing concrete to say it isn't this week or it is close  :coolsmiley:

True, however I still think if it is to happen we would get a definite leak from somewhere first.

A leak would just be counted as hearsay though so wouldn't be concrete would it?

Yeah.

Anyone wanting to know how little artists get paid from streaming I’d recommend checking out the #brokenrecord on Twitter by Tom Gray from Gomez. Really highlights how much the record companies get as opposed to the artists.

It could be argued football’s problem is actual the reverse with too much going to the players instead of clubs but that ultimately could be controlled.

Either way it shows there is far too much money in the game so nothing stopping the TV rights dropping severely in price to therefore allow subscriptions to drop severely and therefore routing out piracy.

Guest godzilla

A leak would just be counted as hearsay though so wouldn't be concrete would it?

:snod:

Not if it came from a strong source and actually said tests have been passed now down to money transfer. We have never got to that point.

Yeah.

I was mainly joshing, but didn’t know that about tidal, their catalog good? Would move over from Spotify, I’ve no loyalty to them as long as I can also share to my amp via bt.

I’m not sure, I’m also not sure if their catalog changes in each country, or even if it’s available in the UK.

Yeah.

Surely it’s much better for the fans if artists make money actually making music for the fans, no?

I guess that’s their argument.

Guest godzilla

Not if it came from a strong source and actually said tests have been passed now down to money transfer. We have never got to that point.

I honestly think your currently getting those sources now and that's why the media have all started the positive spin. Honestly think you will need to wait for the actual announcement for anything concrete.

What would you class as a strong source ? A journalist naming someone in the PL with actual quotes ? Not going to happen.

Guest godzilla

What would you class as a strong source ? A journalist naming someone in the PL with actual quotes ? Not going to happen.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

This is a new one for the takeover thread: whether Spotify pay artists enough [emoji38]

Tomorrow, should a digital tax exist.

Well a journalist actually saying the words the checks are passed, which the likes of Caulkin have said from day one would come out in the press before funds are transferred.

Well a journalist actually saying the words the checks are passed, which the likes of Caulkin have said from day one would come out in the press before funds are transferred.

So the concrete leak you wanted has already been issued and was found not to have set.

Guest godzilla

Not going to happen it will be an official announcement, which the media will get notified of at the time it occurs.

"musicians make money through concerts/touring not record sales, i'm just hurting the big faceless record labels" was always the flimsy little crust punk excuse for piracy back in the day, rancid thieving cunts that they were. what about artists who don't want to or can't tour you magnificent twat? you've obtained their music and they get nothing. fuck off to the sewer you vomitous living slime.