Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Let's get it right. SA are not in a position to bid for the rights of the MENA region for two years. This week basically SA stopped being part of that MENA region when they banned beIN from broadcasting within the SA region.

I think it's wishful thinking to think that SA can just declare themselves "Out" of MENA and therefore bid for individual rights. No way will that (or indeed should that) be allowed to happen because it makes a mockery of what BeIN successfully bid for and would undermine every future deal the PL would seek to make.

This now becomes a legal dispute between SA and BeIN, I don't think it has much to do with the PL. It'll be up to BeIN to prove that they've been illegally banned from exercising their contractual rights in SA, and it'll be up to SA to prove BeIN have broken enough rules to allow them to kick BeIN out. If this comes in favour or BeIN they'll be due a lot of compensation from the Saudis to make up for their lost revenue.

That's that theory busted

No it's not see my reply above.

Well nah, they said they aren't in a position to acquire the rights for a couple of seasons, didn't mention anything about MENA.

Who would have thought the PL and Bein wouldn't just agree to break the contract and allow the Saudis their own deal

Guest godzilla

Let's get it right. SA are not in a position to bid for the rights of the MENA region for two years. This week basically SA stopped being part of that MENA region when they banned beIN from broadcasting within the SA region.

I think it's wishful thinking to think that SA can just declare themselves "Out" of MENA and therefore bid for individual rights. No way will that (or indeed should that) be allowed to happen because it makes a mockery of what BeIN successfully bid for and would undermine every future deal the PL would seek to make.

This now becomes a legal dispute between SA and BeIN, I don't think it has much to do with the PL. It'll be up to BeIN to prove that they've been illegally banned from exercising their contractual rights in SA, and it'll be up to SA to prove BeIN have broken enough rules to allow them to kick BeIN out. If this comes in favour or BeIN they'll be due a lot of compensation from the Saudis to make up for their lost revenue.

How's that?, it's like saying South Korea stopping from broadcasting due to North Korea having the rights. Even the WTO report mentioned in the report about the rights of SA to exercise their property and security rights under TRIPS. There is a reason this has been done and until we know the full facts (not from that useless cunt Ryder) then nobody can make a conclusion as to exactly what is happening.

Guest godzilla

That's that theory busted

No it's not see my reply above.

Well nah, they said they aren't in a position to acquire the rights for a couple of seasons, didn't mention anything about MENA.

Who would have thought the PL and Bein wouldn't just agree to break the contract and allow the Saudis their own deal

Get it right, Ryder said they said and that is certainly enough for me to question anything that clown says. He get's so much wrong you could right an encyclopedia on his s**** reporting.

Legally do SA have the right to break that deal?, I would say they have a strong case seeing as they are practically at war. Let's wait for official information to come out as there is a reason they have banned beIN.

How's that?, it's like saying South Korea stopping from broadcasting due to North Korea having the rights. Even the WTO report mentioned in the report about the rights of SA to exercise their property and security rights under TRIPS. There is a reason this has been done and until we know the full facts (not from that useless c*** Ryder) then nobody can make a conclusion as to exactly what is happening.

This the premier league have not got the right to impose a broadcaster on any nation. They choose to group the rights, there is nothing illegal here to worry about.

Right I know we’re all desperately hoping this goes through, but if you looked at that objectively, as a fan of another team or whatever, you’d think there’s no fucking way that supposed takeover is happening like  :lol:

I'm of the opposite view.

Why are you all talking about countries owning the rights? They dont. Bein is a company that owns the rights to certain areas. The rights dont free up just because someone isnt allowing that company to broadcast in their country.

Another matter is whether Premierleague have clauses in the contract that force the broadcasters to air x amount of games in all the countries they own the rights to. I'm guessing they do. So I doubt Bein could themselves decide to stop broadcasting without consulting PL or paying some sort of fines. But if SA block them, then what can they do.

Surely the Premier League just sell rights directly to Saudi Arabia, doesn't affect gibbons mittens and his lot.

Is there anything that can stop the Premier League selling more rights ?

Yes the fact they have sold the rights ?

Surely the Premier League just sell rights directly to Saudi Arabia, doesn't affect gibbons mittens and his lot.

Sorry, i meant what's to stop them selling more rights directly to the Saudi's.

Nothing in the future. Until the end of the current deal, the Bein rights are for the whole MENA region

Nothing in the future. Until the end of the current deal, the Bein rights are for the whole MENA region

I get that, if they've pull/pulled out of the Mena region agreement as someone has alluded to earlier, what's to stop the Premier League issuing them direct rights just for Saudi Arabia next season.

I guess it would be a legal minefield, just wondering if it's an avenue that could be broached sooner, rather than at the end of the Mena agreement.

Guest godzilla

Why are you all talking about countries owning the rights? They dont. Bein is a company that owns the rights to certain areas. The rights dont free up just because someone isnt allowing that company to broadcast in their country.

Another matter is whether Premierleague have clauses in the contract that force the broadcasters to air x amount of games in all the countries they own the rights to. I'm guessing they do. So I doubt Bein could themselves decide to stop broadcasting without consulting PL or paying some sort of fines. But if SA block them, then what can they do.

You don't know what the contract states or what the legal implications are. None of us do and let's just see what happens and what official information comes out first.

Guest godzilla

I get that, if they've pull/pulled out of the Mena region agreement as someone has alluded to earlier, what's to stop the Premier League issuing them direct rights just for Saudi Arabia next season.

I guess it would be a legal minefield, just wondering if it's an avenue that could be broached sooner, rather than at the end of the Mena agreement.

We will have to wait to find out as nobody knows what it means and what can/can't be done. I'm with your thinking though.

KSA is basically in a trade war with Qatar. The league has sold broadcasting rights to an entire region to one company who is in a trade war with multiple nations in said region. The largest nation in said region has just banned them from doing business in their country and are “pulling out” of said agreement. That’s the loophole some are alluding to in terms of KSA looking to arrange their own rights.

In any case, KSA thru PIF have never been all about buying the club to gracefully show their people Newcastle United and the PL. This has always been a way to invest large sums of money via PIF into sport and potentially into the region as a way build the sovereign wealth fund, diversify from oil, and probably ego investment competition over the long term against rivals, and of course sports washing / Vision 2030.

Imo it’s prob all fueled through PIF governor and MBS being massive sport fans, Legit country war/rivalry with Qatar and jealousy / friendlyish competition with Sheikh Mansour. Finally if it all pays off it’s an incredibly insane IRR / ROI proposition. No doubt in my mind.

Guest chopey

"This time next week be millionaires " in the meantime we can enjoy Bruceball two more times, rumour has it we are planning and injuring half the Team against Brighton and possibly winning a free kick against Liverpool, I'm not building my hope's up though, I'm  just eternally grateful I got to see Krafth play this season after Bruce fought tooth and nail to get him here.

PMSL, the PL haven’t said a word to any of the top journalists about the takeover, but Lee“gobshite” Ryder manages to get an exclusive that Saudi cant get the TV rights! Come on get real Man

If Caulkins info is correct the consortium knew nothing about the decision coming to ban bein, so I’m kind of not thinking this was part of some grand plan as part of the takeover if you take that at face value.

However, by all accounts the PL will have to pay bein a rebate based on project restart, think this is also true of sky.  Now if bein and PL accept they’ll be unable to broadcast in Saudi for remainder of contract, surely it’s in the PL’s interest to try and strike a deal with Saudi.

It would also be in Bein’s interest because they’re clearly not going to get any new subscriptions from Saudi over next 2 years.

The Saudis could pay a premium for remainder of contract to air in own country, this is a win for premier league as it covers rebate, and may also be a way for Saudi to buy Bein out of contract without being seen to pay them directly.

Like I say at start if you believe Caulkin this is probably a stretch, and it may be that Saudi institution’s are just acting independently as this was an old court case, and there’s no grand plan in place at all. But I’m also struggling to believe that they’ll not be wanting their nation to watch a trophy purchase like this.

Bottom line is though their fully entitled to choose which broadcaster airs. It may well have oiled  the wheels if they had allowed bein to broadcast, and it may increase piracy concerns if there’s no legal way of watching it over next 2 years, and that can be the only concern the PL have from this decision to ban bein.

PMSL, the PL haven’t said a word to any of the top journalists about the takeover, but Lee“gobshite” Ryder manages to get an exclusive that Saudi cant get the TV rights! Come on get real Man

TV rights are nothing to do with the takeover so who's to say if they can discuss or not.

TV rights are nothing to do with the takeover so who's to say if they can discuss or not.

And if it came from any other journalist I would give it consideration, but this is Lee Ryder we’re talking about probably the biggest joke of a journalist out there